Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 5

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
SpiderBaby

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2576 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 pm

OnOnt wrote:That's too bad, I'd be interested in any ATG title. Kuroki, Jissoji, Terayama and Yoshida especially.
I agree. So many great films there, from great filmmakers that are sadly missing on home video.

Dragoon En Regalia

#2577 Post by Dragoon En Regalia » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm not sure MoC has had it any easier with securing rights, but they definitely got to Funeral Parade of Roses a while back and A Man Vanishes recently. This could turn into an arms race if Criterion cares enough to compete.

FrauBlucher

#2578 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Things that have remained a mystery or somewhat of a mystery.
- Phantom Pages.
- Pre-code title and is it from Warner.
- Sony/Criterion distribution deal and then some, perhaps.
- Why the slowdown of IFC titles?
- Children of Paradise fiasco and The Earrings of Madame D issues.
- Muholland Drive.
- Dual Format, not really a mystery but what does it mean for the dvd.
- And most important to me, will the B&N sale be extended for an extra day for Nashville and A Citizen Above Suspicion.
Anything else?

OnOnt

#2579 Post by OnOnt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Dragoon En Regalia wrote:I'm not sure MoC has had it any easier with securing rights, but they definitely got to Funeral Parade of Roses a while back and A Man Vanishes recently. This could turn into an arms race if Criterion cares enough to compete.
Yeah rights issues do seem to be the biggest barrier. In some ways it feels like a miracle that Funeral Parade of Roses was released (I criminally missed out Matsumoto in the previous post, but that just shows the quantity of great filmmakers ATG were working with).

Moe Dickstein

#2580 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am

Frau, are you wondering about how long Dual Format will go before they drop DVD all together? I doubt they would do that for at least 4-5 years if ever simply because Blu didn't eclipse DVD the way that DVD eclipsed LD.

MongooseCmr

#2581 Post by MongooseCmr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:33 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Things that have remained a mystery or somewhat of a mystery.
- Phantom Pages.
- Pre-code title and is it from Warner.
- Sony/Criterion distribution deal and then some, perhaps.
- Why the slowdown of IFC titles?
- Children of Paradise fiasco and The Earrings of Madame D issues.
- Muholland Drive.
- Dual Format, not really a mystery but what does it mean for the dvd.
- And most important to me, will the B&N sale be extended for an extra day for Nashville and A Citizen Above Suspicion.
But at least we finally have that Eraserhead rumor squashed

Cronenfly

#2582 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:41 am

Over the moon to get official confirmation for Safe, and glad to keep on waiting for an edition of Red River that includes both versions.

giovannii84

#2583 Post by giovannii84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:36 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:Frau, are you wondering about how long Dual Format will go before they drop DVD all together? I doubt they would do that for at least 4-5 years if ever simply because Blu didn't eclipse DVD the way that DVD eclipsed LD.
My life will be over if they decide to not publish DVD. I live in Australia, and while region-free DVD is widely available, almost all BluRay players here sre Region-B locked.

Moe Dickstein

#2584 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:44 am

Time to move to the USA then ;)

John Edmond

#2585 Post by John Edmond » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 am

Just buy a Kogan blu-ray player then. Australia's possibly the easiest place to solve this problem. I suspect streaming is going to cause a lot more access problems for small markets.

Bando

#2586 Post by Bando » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:51 am

swo17 wrote:"Yes, eventually, we hope" on The Emigrants/The New Land.
(fistpump)

I'm really surprised about the apparent backing off on Picnic at Hanging Rock. I guess this means the stuff they post on their Facebook page means just about nothing, and the fact that The Last Wave going OOP is probably a bad thing, not a sign of things to come. Ugh. Probably my #1 and #2 upgrade hopes these days.

Calvin

#2587 Post by Calvin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:04 am

Jeff wrote:Can anyone think of a library that Criterion might be able to access with one Criterion-worthy animated title in it?
It's been a while since they licensed anything from Disney, but I would imagine that Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday is a contender

giovannii84

#2588 Post by giovannii84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:12 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:Time to move to the USA then ;)
Wish I could. Visited in may & loved it :)

FrauBlucher

#2589 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:Frau, are you wondering about how long Dual Format will go before they drop DVD all together? I doubt they would do that for at least 4-5 years if ever simply because Blu didn't eclipse DVD the way that DVD eclipsed LD.
This was meant as more of a topic neglected in light of the stir it created when CC went Dual. I agree that the DVD will most likely be around for a while. It would have been interesting to hear Criterion's views on the future of physical media. Especially since there are those that think it's eventually going away, like Mr Redman.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2590 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 am

In terms of animated films; the new Gondry/Chomsky is the most likely candidate, given Criterion's relationship with IFC. Other candidates could include Linklater's Waking Life (through their deal with Fox), or maybe past Home Vision titles Allegro Non Troppo and Animal Farm.

Another interesting one would be The Thief and the Cobbler, maybe with multiple cuts paired up with the Persistence of Vision documentary made a few years ago. I wonder if and when the Miramax rights expire, freeing it up for release through another company; although, personally, that title would probably be a better fit with Shout Factory than with Criterion.

ShellOilJunior

#2591 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am

Any mention of La Dolce Vita?

knives

#2592 Post by knives » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote: Another interesting one would be The Thief and the Cobbler, maybe with multiple cuts paired up with the Persistence of Vision documentary made a few years ago. I wonder if and when the Miramax rights expire, freeing it up for release through another company; although, personally, that title would probably be a better fit with Shout Factory than with Criterion.
Richard Williams just came out with his director's cut of the film and is showing it around theatrically so it getting a good release somewhere soon isn't absurd.

zedz

#2593 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Another interesting one would be The Thief and the Cobbler, maybe with multiple cuts paired up with the Persistence of Vision documentary made a few years ago.
The Thief and the Cobbler would be great to see, but Persistence of Vision really isn't a very good documentary, and the lack of involvement from Williams doesn't help. I'd rather see Criterion (or whoever) start from scratch with a proper making- / unmaking-of.

matrixschmatrix

#2594 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm

It would be fascinating to see a Criterion release that included a good cut, the first-released hacked together cuts, and the extremely lumpy fancut that's been the primary release on torrent sites and so forth.

zedz

#2595 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Surely a proper cut would render the fancuts irrelevant?

knives

#2596 Post by knives » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:01 pm

zedz wrote:Surely a proper cut would render the fancuts irrelevant?
It seems by this that a proper cut has been made.

knives

#2597 Post by knives » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Not everyone is Region B capable is the easiest answer to that.

krnash

#2598 Post by krnash » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Perhaps there are collectors more casual than you? Cronenfly never said "Goddamnit, about fucking time SOMEONE released a Red River blu with both versions! All hail Criterion!" he only said he was excited about the possibility and would keep on holding tight for it. Why does it irk you so much that someone might want to just buy locally?

I'm not disagreeing with your essential point- that very serious collectors should most definitely expand their possibilities worldwide. I just don't see why an explosion of anger toward someone whose collection limits might be less than yours is necessary here.

Your rant honestly comes across more like more of an extension of your Madame De... frustrations than anything else.

Vegeta84

#2600 Post by Vegeta84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Any mention of any upcoming Japanese films on the stream?