Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 5

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
jwd5275

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#301 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Sorry. To clarify, by 'pull together' I meant something planned / scheduled in the near future already, but moved up to today...

Also in regards to Diary of a Shinjuku Thief, I just checked the current MOMA retrospective and it is shown as a Janus film too..

Vegeta84

#302 Post by Vegeta84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Sorry. To clarify, by 'pull together' I meant something planned / scheduled in the near future already, but moved up to today...

Also in regards to Diary of a Shinjuku Thief, I just checked the current MOMA retrospective and it is shown as a Janus film too..
I'm confused? This is really exciting if it's true, but are you just basing this one your own instinct or has Criterion hinted that they are moving this up?

Lowry_Sam

#303 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Steven H wrote:Even if they had planned on announcing some Oshima films I imagine that would be postponed. Criterion would more than likely want to avoid being seen as crass, exploitative, or attempting to "cash in" so close to the director's death.
I have the opposite take on this. After all, it is not like Oshima will get recognition outside of those who are particularly interested in film, particularly older titles. While it might seem like "cashing in", waiting until the news story is off the radar, also means that such releases aren't as economically feasible & less likely to succeed.

Vegeta84

#304 Post by Vegeta84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Steven H wrote:Even if they had planned on announcing some Oshima films I imagine that would be postponed. Criterion would more than likely want to avoid being seen as crass, exploitative, or attempting to "cash in" so close to the director's death.
I have the opposite take on this. After all, it is not like Oshima will get recognition outside of those who are particularly interested in film, particularly older titles. While it might seem like "cashing in", waiting until the news story is off the radar, also means that such releases aren't as economically feasible & less likely to succeed.
I agree with this. Now would be the best time to release it and this is when THEY SHOULD release it, as more people will likely watch these films.

bamwc2

#305 Post by bamwc2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Vegeta84 wrote:
jwd5275 wrote:Sorry. To clarify, by 'pull together' I meant something planned / scheduled in the near future already, but moved up to today...

I'm confused? This is really exciting if it's true, but are you just basing this one your own instinct or has Criterion hinted that they are moving this up?

As best as I can tell, this would never happen. Their business model is not to sit on a release after its ready, but rather to put the product in stores whenever it is ready. If there is an Oshima title announced today, it would be coincidental and have nothing to do with his death.

Finch

#306 Post by Finch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 pm

DEVIL'S BACKBONE definitely happening though not as part of today's (tomorrow's?) announcements:
And "Devil's Backbone" is something you're revisiting for a new Criterion disc. What do you have planned for that?
A.: We've done a new transfer, we're doing a new sound mix. Criterion is really streamlined about the extras – they don't want to put a lot, they only want to put the good stuff. So they are really, right now, designing what they want. We know we want to do a second part for the "Bleak House" [Guillermo del Toro's office, which is stuffed to the gills with monster-related bric-a-brac and macabre miscellanea] because we have so many rooms left. There's a whole second half of the house!

matrixschmatrix

#307 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm

I hope they haven't 'streamlined' the commentary out, del Toro's one of the best (to the degree I wish he'd show up on other people's movies more often)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#308 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Eclipse Series 38: Up All Night Handwringing with Nagisa Oshima

colinr0380

#309 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I hope they haven't 'streamlined' the commentary out, del Toro's one of the best (to the degree I wish he'd show up on other people's movies more often)
My hope would perhaps be the original commentary (with del Toro and the cinematographer) and perhaps a new retrospective one, although that might end up repeating too much of the same information. Maybe a retrospective interview such as the ones on the Qatsi trilogy, might be better.

PfR73

#310 Post by PfR73 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 pm

There are actually already 2 commentaries for The Devil's Backbone. Sony put the film out twice on DVD & each had a different commentary. One was Del Toro & Navarro, the other was Del Toro solo. I hope both find their way to the Criterion release.

jedgeco

#311 Post by jedgeco » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

They're up....

criterion10

#312 Post by criterion10 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm

I'll definitely be picking up Naked Lunch and Repo Man. The others I need to look further into before purchasing, as I haven't seen any of them. (Then again, I haven't seen Repo Man, but it seems like a pretty safe blind buy.)

knives

#313 Post by knives » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Yay, more Kobayashi!

Paupau

#314 Post by Paupau » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Finally some Kobayashi! Been years since the last film i saw from either MoC or CC

matrixschmatrix

#315 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm

The Etaix set is in an interesting spot between Eclipse and full release- the price per film seems in line with Eclipse, right?

captveg

#316 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Richard III will be mine. l need to see the other films, but that Kobayashi Eclipse set looks fantastic.

movielocke

#317 Post by movielocke » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I just watched HaraKiri a few weeks ago, and when I was reading the booklet I thought, "The Thickwalled room" sounds like a perfect title for eclipse. Glad to see I'll be able to watch it soon. :) disappointing there's no lord of the flies, but this is the best month of the year, so far, I'll buy all the releases except naked lunch.

matrixschmatrix

#318 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

I think I'll wind up buying everything but Gate of Hell, and that I'll skip only because I've already got the MoC. It feels like a short month for new titles, but I think that's because most of them are either repeats from MoC or bundled into the Eclipse and the Eclipse-esque Etaix set- so I can't really complain.

zedz

#319 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:The Etaix set is in an interesting spot between Eclipse and full release- the price per film seems in line with Eclipse, right?
It's also an interesting mule in that it's a multi-feature box set (not a 'lead feature plus others' like Lonesome) where the individual films don't seem to have their own spine numbers.

Personally, I think this is a great move, since it gets around the awkward 'no extras on Eclipse!' rule that compromised the Downey set.

Tommaso

#320 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh dear, again the stand-out release is an Eclipse set. I admit I don't know about Etaix, but the re-production of two excellent MoC releases just feels very lame. At least they could have added some extras to the Kinugasa to put some little bit of special value to it (and I'm not necessarily thinking of "A Page of Madness" exclusively... ). But all right, Kobayashi is a must buy.

jwd5275

#321 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

I know, it's so lame that people who are region 1 locked can now get these...

Tommaso

#322 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Being region-locked on DVD is the definition of lame... :wink: :D (just kiddin', I see where you come from, but I don't take back my initial statement).

TMDaines

#323 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

I like how being region locked is often lamented like it's a disability you're born with.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#324 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:10 pm

And I like how being region-free is sometimes not acknowledged as being a luxury.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#325 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 pm

There's no excuse for being DVD region-free, as the majority of retail DVD players have this capability via remote control code. Blu-ray region-free-ness is far more sticky, and thus thine sins are absolved on that front, my children