Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jeff

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#376 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

The announcements themselves may be a bit anticlimactic now since we likely know all the new titles already:

The Gold Rush
Being John Malkovich
Summer with Monika
Certified Copy

Eclipse: "Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr."

At most, there might be one additional surprise new title and an exciting upgrade. So far, every month in 2012 has included one of the new "Essential Arthouse" style budget releases (The Moment of Truth in January, Three Outlaw Samurai in February, Letter Never Sent in March, The Organizer in April), so maybe that's a new monthly thing and we'll get one of those.

This is the most satisfying lineup for me in quite some time. And even though we may know the titles, I can't wait for confirmation of the original version of The Gold Rush and anxiously await what I suspect will be some creative Malkovich supplements.

tarpilot

#377 Post by tarpilot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:52 pm

If they can top "There is Nothing Here", I'll be happy

jwd5275

#378 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Jeff wrote:The announcements themselves may be a bit anticlimactic now since we likely know all the new titles already:

The Gold Rush
Being John Malkovich
Summer with Monika
Certified Copy

Eclipse: "Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr."

At most, there might be one additional surprise new title and an exciting upgrade. So far, every month in 2012 has included one of the new "Essential Arthouse" style budget releases (The Moment of Truth in January, Three Outlaw Samurai in February, Letter Never Sent in March, The Organizer in April), so maybe that's a new monthly thing and we'll get one of those.
The 'Essential Arthouse' style release will be Lumiere d'ete and the blu upgrade will be Children of Paradise...

aox

#379 Post by aox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Have they not made the announcements yet? Is this the latest they have held out? Sorry, I have been in meetings all day.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#380 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Announcements were postponed until tomorrow while they sort out the Valentine's Day sale mess.

aox

#381 Post by aox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:47 pm

swo17 wrote:Announcements were postponed until tomorrow while they sort out the Valentine's Day sale mess.
Makes sense. Thanks for the update. I am sure it was mentioned before... just one of those days where I really didn't have time to sort through the thread. Thanks again.

captveg

#382 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Jeff wrote:So far, every month in 2012 has included one of the new "Essential Arthouse" style budget releases (The Moment of Truth in January, Three Outlaw Samurai in February, Letter Never Sent in March, The Organizer in April), so maybe that's a new monthly thing and we'll get one of those.
Not that it would be coming with this month's announcements, but the eventual Madadayo release fits that slot perfectly.

What A Disgrace

#383 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm

The barebones Blu-ray releases are quite a nice little treat, considering these films would otherwise have wound up in the Eclipse series. Three Outlaw Samurai and The Organizer are things I'd have never expected to see in HD, and Letter Never Sent...I never expected to see, period.

Askew

#384 Post by Askew » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 pm

I wouldn't be that surprised if Summer with Monika ends up being this month's bare-bones release.

knives

#385 Post by knives » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine beyond the going through the motions type stuff there's much to give to Bergman now.

Arthur House

#386 Post by Arthur House » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 am

Well, they could include Monika, the Story of A Bad Girl, Kroger Babb's shorter, sexier dubbed re-edit with a Les Baxter score, which is supposedly the most seen version of a Bergman film. But I imagine they won't.

Matt

#387 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I think it'd be a real shame if they didn't include it. That version of the film almost single-handedly invented the winking definition of "art film" in the US. It's also an interesting footnote in the history of Janus Films, who were planning to release the original cut but shelved it for several years once Babb's version came out.

Tom Hagen

#388 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm

knives wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine beyond the going through the motions type stuff there's much to give to Bergman now.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cowie commentary or essay.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#389 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm

knives

#390 Post by knives » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Why the hell does Malkovich have a Gondry commentary? Admittedly it's not completely out of left field, but might as well put Nic Cage on the track too.

SpiderBaby

#391 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Putney Swope is an Eclipse release when there is already a release with commentary?

The Narrator Returns

#392 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:28 pm

They said they'd release The Gold Rush. WHY DID THEY LIE TO US?
knives wrote:Why the hell does Malkovich have a Gondry commentary? Admittedly it's not completely out of left field, but might as well put Nic Cage on the track too.
It'll make sense when they get Spike Jonze to do the Eternal Sunshine commentary.

Finch

#393 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Disappointing month IMO: Summer with Monika is the only title I fancy getting. Ah well, at least there's the Lost Souls steelbook and Ruggles from MoC.

knives

#394 Post by knives » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:36 pm

To be fair La Haine is a pleasant surprise. I wish there was more to the Downey set though, but beggers can't be choosers.

Finch

#395 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:38 pm

I did like the Kiarostami but just not enough to want to own it though a second viewing might change that.

knives

#396 Post by knives » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Whoever said all the praise we were giving Criterion today would be murdered at announcement time gets a quarter I guess. Really the biggest problem with this month is that they went the most boring route they could with these releases.

HistoryProf

#397 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:57 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:They said they'd release The Gold Rush. WHY DID THEY LIE TO US?
Weird response on FB:
The Criterion Collection wrote:
Ryan Treadway wrote:Great month, even if you outright lied to that one guy asking about Chaplin.
It wasn't a lie at the time...
How could they have it slated to be announced today as of yesterday, but then not announce it? wtf?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#398 Post by Brian C » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm

HistoryProf wrote:How could they have it slated to be announced today as of yesterday, but then not announce it? wtf?
I dunno, but I think it's likely that whatever the holdup is, they're as frustrated as we are about it. Hopefully it's just short-term wackiness and not something that will be an ongoing problem.

Flike

#399 Post by Flike » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:13 pm

HistoryProf wrote:Weird response on FB:
The Criterion Collection wrote:
Ryan Treadway wrote:Great month, even if you outright lied to that one guy asking about Chaplin.
It wasn't a lie at the time...
How could they have it slated to be announced today as of yesterday, but then not announce it?
Yeah, strange... the thing I was really looking forward to. Chaplin and Kurosawa Blus have slowed to or remained at a crawl. Piffle.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#400 Post by Shrew » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:14 pm

1) The sale obviously sent the office down the wrong end of the widening gyre. Finalization on Gold Rush's cover or extras or some other sticking point may have hit a snag during that mess.
2) Criterion's not monolithic, and the staffer who posted that message may not have been aware of changes on the higher level.
3) I imagine they have a collection of titles that are ready or at least mostly ready to go every month. They may have decided that this month is already packed as is, or realized that the next month may be lacking.

Let's take the optimistic route and hope that something new came up to make the whole thing better.