Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:01 am

*CG* wrote:Semi crashed into a school bus with kid on the ground
If there is a school bus crash involved, perhaps it's referring to The Sweet Hereafter. The R1 DVD is OOP.

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:13 am

swo17 wrote:
If there is a school bus crash involved, perhaps it's referring to The Sweet Hereafter. The R1 DVD is OOP.
Which would bode well for further New Line/Warner titles.

I've never seen so many people hoping to see a crashed school bus before.

ianungstad

#4 Post by ianungstad » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 am

I'll wait to see the non-blurry New Year's clue tomorrow before getting excited but if there is indeed a semi crashing into a school bus, I agree that it's a clue for The Sweet Hereafter. Warner has been letting all the rights to licensed product from New Line expire and Criterion have been snatching a lot of these up. (ex. Naked and Hoop Dreams are now Janus titles).

It would be nice if Criterion has licensed some films from Egoyan's shingle. Exotica has yet to make an appearance from the new Miramax and I suspect it's one of the titles they let lapse. Would be nice to see a batch of Egoyan films in the collection.

SpiderBaby

#5 Post by SpiderBaby » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:16 am

swo17 wrote:
Out of the Blue has been OOP for sometime now as well (plus Criterion did a tiny, little plug for it on Twitter this past summer when a new 35mm print was shown at Anthology Film Archives.).

Again, not to get my hopes up for Out of the Blue or yours for The Sweet Hereafter, because it might not even be a crashed school bus.

bainbridgezu

#6 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:22 am

Jeff wrote:I've never seen so many people hoping to see a crashed school bus before.
What was it that Truffaut said about movie lovers being weird people?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:23 am

*CG* wrote:Again, not to get my hopes up for Out of the Blue or yours for The Sweet Hereafter, because it might not even be a crashed school bus.
Oh there will be a crashed school bus tomorrow whether I have to make one myself or not.

Note: This post is not really as disturbing as it sounds, as I think we can all agree that any kid stupid enough to get into an empty school bus on New Year's Day deserves to die.

SpiderBaby

#8 Post by SpiderBaby » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:24 am

swo17 wrote:
*CG* wrote:Again, not to get my hopes up for Out of the Blue or yours for The Sweet Hereafter, because it might not even be a crashed school bus.
Oh there will be a crashed school bus tomorrow whether I have to make one myself or not.

Note: This post is not really as disturbing as it sounds, as I think we can all agree that any kid stupid enough to get into an empty school bus on New Year's Day deserves to die.
1st post of the new year that will be considered towards Member of the Year for me. :D

bainbridgezu

#9 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:22 am

*CG* wrote:
swo17 wrote:

1st post of the new year that will be considered towards Member of the Year for me. :D
But hopefully the smaller text won't inspire the first "Infighting and Navel Gazing" thread of the new year--"Which Kids Can We All Agree Deserve to Die?"

ianungstad

#10 Post by ianungstad » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 am

Ryan has the ocean circled as a potential clue in his blurred picture. I actually think this could be a clue for Breaking the Waves. There were a few people who thought Breaking the Waves was one of the clues from last year's picture due to the boat/nautical theme but I always found that a bit of a stretch. Looking at the teaser Criterion posted on Facebook, there is emphasis that the wave is cresting/turning to whitewater. In Ryan's blurred picture, you can at least tell that the general motif is vehicles driving towards some obscured blob in the center and you just have the ocean tucked away in the top right corner. It doesn't seem to relate to anything else in the picture, which would indicate that it's a clue.

bainbridgezu

#11 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:36 am

Three identical samurai: Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy
Man with shovel: Shallow Grave
Eating Raoul (poster)
Iceberg: A Night to Remember (already announced)
Mod motorbike: Quadrophenia
Coney Island sign: Lonesome
Ocean waves: Breaking the Waves
Old woman on motorcycle: Harold and Maude
Maude's necklace: Rosemary's Baby
Traffic jam: Weekend
Dancing threesome: Y Tu Mama Tambien (already clued)
Female marionette: Being John Malkovich (already clued)

Mime?
Car with woman on top?
Bow?
Three open oysters with pearls?
Truck carrying cars? Any of the cars on the truck (5)?
Individual cars (3)?
Last edited by bainbridgezu on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

JPJ

#12 Post by JPJ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:30 am

I was hoping they would release Von Stroheim's Wedding march this year.In the light of these clues it doesn't look good.

Calvin

#13 Post by Calvin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:06 am

The mime could be an upgrade for Les enfants du paradis which has recently been restored
Last edited by Calvin on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Minkin

#14 Post by Minkin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:09 am

Perhaps some kind soul could resize this for me:

[img]http://criterion_images.s3.amazonaws.com/current/wackynewyear_2012a.jpg[/img]

Here is Ryan's guesses. Still some mysteries (and things Ryan hadn't noticed- that we found here)

I do think the copy + pasted samurai is a tad strange and I can't think of anything to go with the pearls. Perhaps Tabu, but that wouldn't explain three of them - unless it's significant of the three days the girl has to leave...

I expect everything to be solved by the time I wake up tomorrow.

brendanjc

#15 Post by brendanjc » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:34 am

I agree that the ocean seems to be a clue but I don't see a lot of breaking waves. I'm not sure if there are more MGM titles expected or not - could it be On The Beach?

willoneill

#16 Post by willoneill » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:25 am

swo17 wrote:
The blu-ray is being released in 2 weeks.

ellipsis7

#17 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:41 am

Just wondering what the 5 radial lines signify?

Calvin

#18 Post by Calvin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:43 am

The lines and the 5-pointed star on Maude's necklace could be related I suppose?

tojoed

#19 Post by tojoed » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:47 am

I don't suppose the ocean could be a clue to "The Long Goodbye". A bit of a stretch, but we're all doing it.

Rupert Pupkin

#20 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:17 am

is it an Icerberg or Picnic at Hanging Rock ?

I can't see a clue for The Soft Skin... :( does that mean that there will be no blu-ray of Truffaut The Soft Skin this year.... ? :(

lots of cars.... could there be Crash from Cronenberg ? [-o< [-o< (could the girl on the car be a reference to Jane Mansfield from Crash ?)

CSM126

#21 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:17 am

Stretching...Coney Island/NYC setting by the sea = Blast of Silence (fist fight scene ends with someone going in the drink)?

I just really want a blu-ray of that...

I'm also racking my brain over the honking semi-truck, but the only film that comes to mind is Duel, and I'll die before I ever seriously speculate about Spielberg joining the collection.

colinr0380

#22 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 am

tojoed wrote:I don't suppose the ocean could be a clue to "The Long Goodbye". A bit of a stretch, but we're all doing it.
Or The Last Wave on Blu!

Peacock

#23 Post by Peacock » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 am

Criterion has never done newsletter clues for announced titles before, so surely that isn't A Night to Remember, Traffic or 3 Outlaw Samurai. And they don't do two clues either so I doubt the threesome is Y Tu Mama..? Nothing we didn't already know about that particularly interests me so far.

CSM126

#24 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 am

Peacock wrote:Criterion has never done newsletter clues for announced titles before, so surely that isn't A Night to Remember, Traffic or 3 Outlaw Samurai. And they don't do two clues either so I doubt the threesome is Y Tu Mama..? Nothing we didn't already know about that particularly interests me so far.
This is a New Year teaser...as in what's coming out in the new year. So yes, I do believe those films you mentioned are in fact what's referenced. Unless you know another GIANT ICEBERG movie that they might be releasing. Or perhaps they just wanted to remind us that Titanic 3D is hitting theaters this year?

colinr0380

#25 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:28 am

Peacock wrote:And they don't do two clues either so I doubt the threesome is Y Tu Mama..?
It is definitely Y Tu Mama Tambien :wink: