Criterion and MGM

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
AfterTheRain

Re: Criterion and MGM

#626 Post by AfterTheRain » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Napier wrote:I just caught Raintree County on TCM and it appears this never received a proper R1 release. This would make a swell Criterion BD.
Yes, but Warner holds the rights; if this title would come out in the future, it would likely be from them.

JPJ

#627 Post by JPJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Noiradelic wrote:Now that Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is OOP, is there any reason to think Criterion wouldn't pursue it?
No.
The great If Charlie Parker....blogspot just posted Alfredo Garcia's strange advertasing campaign.
http://tsutpen.blogspot.fi/2012/08/the- ... a-505.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repeat

#628 Post by repeat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 am

Noiradelic wrote:Cutter's Way is MGM, been OOP for a while
Not sure what this refers to but the R2 disc is definitely still available from various vendors, and for small change as well. Great film with a beautiful score from Jack Nitszche - at the price it's going for I'd recommend to pick it up on sight, especially if it's about to go OOP!

Noiradelic

#629 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:12 pm

It refers to Cutter's Way being OOP for over a year in the U.S., and, replying to the poster's question, I mentioned that fact in the context of whether it would be getting a Blu Ray.

repeat

#630 Post by repeat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Noiradelic wrote:It refers to Cutter's Way being OOP for over a year in the U.S., and, replying to the poster's question, I mentioned that fact in the context of whether it would be getting a Blu Ray.
Yep, that's what I figured - good reason to snap up the R2 for a fiver just in case! Sure hope Criterion will get around to this one eventually.

(BTW I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere on the forum, but Born to Win is also available as an official MGM R2 release in the UK)

Moe Dickstein

#631 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Napier wrote:I just caught Raintree County on TCM and it appears this never received a proper R1 release. This would make a swell Criterion BD.
That one supposedly requires a big restoration as well

stroszeck

#632 Post by stroszeck » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Can anyone please make a recommendation on which edition of MANHUNTER to purchase? I was waiting for the Blu ray but a friend told me to stay away from it (apparently not a great transfer and total lack of extras) and just get the Divimax Director's Cut (Now OOPS). Does anyone have suggestions?

knives

#633 Post by knives » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:50 pm

I have the Blu and it's perfectly acceptable if not great.

matrixschmatrix

#634 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:53 pm

I think the region B version of the blu has all the extras on it, so that's probably ideal, but the image quality on the region A one is great- the director's cut DVD, if it's the one I'm thinking of, has the extras but abysmal PQ.

dwk

#635 Post by dwk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:28 am

I'm going to second what knives and matrixschmatrix said. The MGM/US Blu-ray of Manhunter looks fantastic (and is region free), but is barebones. The UK/region B Blu-ray from Optimum was victim to some overzealous noise reduction that wiped out detail (lCheck out caps-a-holic's comparison between the Blu-rays) So, buy the MGM Blu-ray and, if you have to have special features, buy both the OOP Anchor Bay "theatrical" cut and AB's OOP Divimax Director's Cut or, if it is cheaper and you are region free, the Optimum Blu-ray, which has, I think, most but not all of the special features found on the two Anchor Bay releases (pretty sure the Optimum is missing the stills galleries that are on the Divimax DVD, but has the featurettes from the "theatrical" DVD and Mann's commentary from the Divimax DVD)

stroszeck

#636 Post by stroszeck » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks a lot for the info guys, just ordered the Region 1 Blu Ray and went ahead and got the DVD as well. Early Christmas present to myself.

Adam

#637 Post by Adam » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:05 am

As far as I know, MGM still has 5 Bergman films, especially Persona. It would be nice if Criterion could get those for Blu-Ray. Persona, Shame, Hour of the Wolf, Passion of Anna (and The Serpent's Egg, but that one is not so essential). All sorts of possible extras, from the Swedish opening to Persona, (suing that fantastic restored version of the film from the Swedish Film Archive), to interviews with the various actors

dwk

#638 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm

From an AICN interview with Tibor Takacs
BUG: Also another film that you’ve done which left a mark on me was I, MADMAN. Looking back on that film, is there any chance of getting a Blu-Ray release?

TT: Well there was at one point talk of a Criterion version. That was a couple of years ago. I would love to see that Blu-Ray. I think eventually it probably will. The negative is really nice. If they were to retransfer it, it would be beautiful.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#639 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 pm

LOL I Madman is ill-fitting with the collection by any barometer. Me thinks he's fibbing

Matt

#640 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm

There's also been "talk" of a Criterion version of C.H.U.D., but it's not going to happen (sorry Rumsey).

zedz

#641 Post by zedz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm

There's definitely been talk about Criterion releasing Chico Ejiro's films.

So. Much. Talk.

johnnysnatchclub7

#642 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:LOL I Madman is ill-fitting with the collection by any barometer. Me thinks he's fibbing
I actually did a movie last year with star Clayton Rohner. I talked his ear off about I, Madman and Just One of the Guys, as I'm a fan, but he didn't seem to remember I, Madman very fondly and I can't honestly see many others digging it either. Let alone a Criterion release.

knives

#643 Post by knives » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:LOL I Madman is ill-fitting with the collection by any barometer. Me thinks he's fibbing
Can't be any more ill fitting then Genocide.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#644 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 am

Any Charly chatter?

Lowry_Sam

#645 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Adam wrote:As far as I know, MGM still has 5 Bergman films, especially Persona. It would be nice if Criterion could get those for Blu-Ray. Persona, Shame, Hour of the Wolf, Passion of Anna (and The Serpent's Egg, but that one is not so essential). All sorts of possible extras, from the Swedish opening to Persona, (suing that fantastic restored version of the film from the Swedish Film Archive), to interviews with the various actors
FYI, these are all available free online if you have Amazon Prime (all non-HD versions though), along with many other MGM titles (available here).

Jameson281

#646 Post by Jameson281 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Adam wrote:As far as I know, MGM still has 5 Bergman films, especially Persona.
MGM no longer has rights to PERSONA.

ianungstad

#647 Post by ianungstad » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Would be nice if Criterion snatched up Persona in addition to the British Hitchcocks. (which MGM also let the rights lapse)

bainbridgezu

#648 Post by bainbridgezu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Jameson281 wrote:
Adam wrote:As far as I know, MGM still has 5 Bergman films, especially Persona.
MGM no longer has rights to PERSONA.
Could you provide a source for this? I know the DVDs are OOP, but the same is true for most of MGM's back catalogue.
ianungstad wrote:Would be nice if Criterion snatched up Persona in addition to the British Hitchcocks. (which MGM also let the rights lapse)
If they are available, I imagine that Janus would take all five to fill out their near-complete Bergman holdings. This would be very welcome news, as it seems a stretch that Criterion would have licensed more than Persona from MGM if they can only take out blocks of 10-15 titles at a time.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#649 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Jameson281 is a reliable industry source.

If CC got Persona, I hope that at least Shame and Hour of the Wolf came along with it.

bainbridgezu

#650 Post by bainbridgezu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:35 pm

swo17 wrote:Jameson281 is a reliable industry source.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize.

Given Janus and Criterion's long-standing relationship with Bergman and his films, I can't imagine them passing on these titles, or anyone else getting ahold of them.