Criterion and MGM

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Ashirg

Re: Criterion & MGM

#51 Post by Ashirg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:What a minute... aren't we suppose to think post-1986 MGM or i'm mistaken? That would leave films like Night of the Hunter and other classics obsolete? They now Warners, no?
Night of the Hunter and other classics from United Artists are still with MGM

Cinephrenic

#52 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Well in that case, this thread is gonna turn into a list.

Jeff

#53 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Well in that case, this thread is gonna turn into a list.
Don't be ridiculous.
SpoilerShow
Sweet Smell of Success, Pauline at the Beach, The Night of the Hunter, Kiss Me Deadly, Last Tango in Paris, Paths of Glory, The Killing, Man of the West, Blow Out, Smile, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, One Two Three, Avanti!, Something Wild, Red River, Coming Home, The Landlord, The Train, Topkapi, Small Change, The Bride Wore Black, The Passion of Beatrice, Kansas City Confidential, The Stranger, Exodus

ianungstad

#54 Post by ianungstad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Didn't Criterion say on Facebook they didn't have any plans for more Altman and Wilder? Their MGM titles could be ruled out then. I think people have also asked about The Stranger, Blow Out and Last Tango in Paris and I don't remember how they worded their responses but it seemed to indicate "no" for all?! (I'm too lazy to go check)
Last edited by ianungstad on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

#55 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 pm

ianungstad wrote:Didn't Criterion say on Facebook they didn't have any plans for more Altman and Wilder? Their MGM titles could be ruled out then. I think people have also asked about both Blow Out and Last Tango in Paris and I don't remember how they worded their responses but it seemed to indicate "no" for both?! (I'm too lazy to go check)
Yes on all counts. Just wishful thinking.

ianungstad

#56 Post by ianungstad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 pm

I thought you brought up a good point on Facebook Jeff, about some of the old OOP titles. The Disney deal that you mentioned probably doesn't allow 3rd party licensing so Straw Dogs would be out of the question (and TSHDT I guess... :( )

I suppose they could use the opportunity to revisit Sid and Nancy or How to Get Ahead in Advertising. Unless they are third party as well? Their current discs are OOP.

souvenir

#57 Post by souvenir » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:27 pm

I think Park Row has to be considered. It's not on DVD anywhere, MGM has the rights via U/A and even Fuller's widow is calling for it on Facebook! The print shown on TCM looks ready to go.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#58 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 pm

ianungstad wrote:I suppose they could use the opportunity to revisit Sid and Nancy or How to Get Ahead in Advertising. Unless they are third party as well? Their current discs are OOP.
I don't know about How to Get Ahead in Advertising, but Sid and Nancy should be from the old Orion library. That means it's all MGM's.

Jeff

#59 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Carnal Knowledge would be great (with Soderbergh teaming with Nichols on the commentary, natch).

ianungstad

#60 Post by ianungstad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 pm

No : They Shoot Horses Don't They, Sayonora, Pauline at the Beach. I had also asked about The Landlord and Harold and Maude in a Hal Ashby related question awhile ago. They said that they'd like a crack at a good Ashby but they had nuthin' in the pipeline.

Cinephrenic

#61 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:00 am

hmm... some suggestions to ask them

Westerns: Red River, High Noon, Vera Cruz
Noirs: The Big Sleep, Body and Soul, Kiss Me Deadly, Odds Against Tomarrow

You Only Live Once (Lang)
Stanley Kramer

ianungstad

#62 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:15 am

Body and Soul is a Republic Picture. (aka Paramount via Lions Gate)

You Only Live Once is a Caidin Trust title currently on disc from Image. (possibly moving to Criterion, depends on if the Castle Hill contract was for only the former WB titles or the whole lot)

Dunno about the others but those two are def. not MGM.

Cinephrenic

#63 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:20 am

Damn its hard to keep track of these studios.

ianungstad

#64 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:56 am

Will never happen in a million years but a Criterion edition of The Apple would be great! Criterion would never be that cool.

John Hodson

#65 Post by John Hodson » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:24 am

Cinephrenic wrote:hmm... some suggestions to ask them

Westerns: Red River, High Noon, Vera Cruz
Noirs: The Big Sleep, Body and Soul, Kiss Me Deadly, Odds Against Tomarrow

You Only Live Once (Lang)
Stanley Kramer
...High Noon is also part of Paramount's holdings, currently licensed to Lions Gate (and it's questionable just how much Criterion could improve on the current release, BD release aside). The Big Sleep is Warners.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#66 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 am

ianungstad wrote:Will never happen in a million years but a Criterion edition of The Apple would be great! Criterion would never be that cool.
I see your mention of "The Apple," and raise with the Tom Waits concert film "Big Time," which I believe MGM's been sitting on from the old Island Pictures library.

-BJ

dadaistnun

#67 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 am

I've emailed them several times over the years asking about Big Time and have never received a response.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#68 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:35 pm

dadaistnun wrote:I've emailed them several times over the years asking about Big Time and have never received a response.
Someone asked on their Facebook and they said they would love to release it.

oldsheperd

#69 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:36 pm

The Apple, you mean that seventies disco musical with roller skates?

Cronenfly

#70 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:01 pm

I defy anyone to read this and tell me that The Apple doesn't deserve a spine number.

ianungstad

#71 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Is the Leaving Las Vegas dvd barebones? From a quick google search it doesn't seem to have any features on it. It's a contemporary title I could see Criterion being interested in.

ianungstad

#72 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm

No: The Offence, Equus, Vera Cruz,

Maybe: The Killing (Stanley Kubrick) On Facebook Criterion said "ask again in a few weeks." odd reply but indicates something brewing.

Props55

#73 Post by Props55 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Someone above mentioned Island (aka Island/Alive!) and that brings up at least a half dozen Alan Rudolph titles. CHOOSE ME and THE MODERNS were released (and looked pretty good) but I don't think TROUBLE IN MIND (my favorite of the pack) was ever released in R1. This situation must be rectified!

MoonlitKnight

#74 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Props55 wrote:Someone above mentioned Island (aka Island/Alive!) and that brings up at least a half dozen Alan Rudolph titles. CHOOSE ME and THE MODERNS were released (and looked pretty good) but I don't think TROUBLE IN MIND (my favorite of the pack) was ever released in R1. This situation must be rectified!
I've been begging CC for some Rudolph for some time now. I believe MGM owns "Welcome to L.A." and "Endangered Species," Warner owns "Made in Heaven," and Sony owns "Remember My Name" and "Trouble in Mind." A box set of some of these would be nice. 8-[

jaredsap

#75 Post by jaredsap » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:I've been begging CC for some Rudolph for some time now. I believe MGM owns "Welcome to L.A." and "Endangered Species," Warner owns "Made in Heaven," and Sony owns "Remember My Name" and "Trouble in Mind."
Sony owns REMEMBER MY NAME, but does not own TROUBLE IN MIND.