Criterion and MGM

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
GringoTex

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#26 Post by GringoTex » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:02 am

ianungstad wrote:re : The Fugitive Kind
Sidney Lumet said the other day that he thought that Brando in the opening scene of The Fugitive Kind might be the best piece of acting he'd seen in his entire life. And he's seen some actors. So maybe.
While Brando's opening scene (here) may be the best acting ever done, the rest of the film is horrid.

MyNameCriterionForum

#27 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:11 am

Agreed. And it has the distinction of inspiring the worst film David Lynch ever made.

As for the MGM talk -- I know next to nothing of rights situations, but was/is 2001 an MGM film?

knives

#28 Post by knives » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:27 am

It was, but I believe Warners bought it out some time ago, or at least they're the one's distributing it now.
Also what Lynch film is that? The worst, to my knowledge, is Dune and the two films don't seem all that similar.

Cinephrenic

#29 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:04 am

Warner Bros. distributes most if not all pre-1986 MGM catalog.

MyNameCriterionForum

#30 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 am

knives wrote:It was, but I believe Warners bought it out some time ago, or at least they're the one's distributing it now.
Also what Lynch film is that? The worst, to my knowledge, is Dune and the two films don't seem all that similar.
Wild At Heart

knives

#31 Post by knives » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:29 am

MyNameCriterionForum wrote: Wild At Heart
Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Perkins Cobb

#32 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:23 pm

If MGM's assets are on the table, then Pontecorvo's Burn! should be the top priority.

jaredsap

#33 Post by jaredsap » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:35 pm

ianungstad wrote:It seems like The Fugitive Kind, Night of the Hunter, French Lieutenant's Woman are part of the deal. I asked our MGM liason that lurks/posts here and while he didn't know what titles were included he heard that it's for another 5.

MYSTERY TRAIN is an MGM title, unless it recently reverted to somewhere else.

ianungstad

#34 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 pm

^ Good point.

I always heard Jarmusch owned his own films so I assumed the rights reverted to him. It could be one of the MGM titles Criterion licensed though. Anyone here a Jarmusch expert?

Cronenfly

#35 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Not a Jarmusch expert by any stretch, but I'm guessing Mystery Train is a direct license to Criterion from Jarmusch just like Stranger Than Paradise was. Presumably the window on MGM's distribution of Mystery Train ran out just like Paradise did, and both are now Janus properties.

oldsheperd

#36 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Anyone here a Jarmusch expert?
Please see my Jarmusch post in the "Infighting and Navel Gazing" section.

tojoed

#37 Post by tojoed » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Please see my Jarmusch post in the "Infighting and Navel Gazing" section.
No, thanks. I have some staring at the sun to do.

oldsheperd

#38 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:43 pm

No, thanks. I have some staring at the sun to do.
Your loss, Dude!

brendanjc

#39 Post by brendanjc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:06 pm

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:As for the MGM talk -- I know next to nothing of rights situations, but was/is 2001 an MGM film?
Like someone already said, WB distributes this and it's been out in decent editions, including a very strong Blu-ray one that can pretty cheaply now, for quite awhile.

Mr. Ned

#40 Post by Mr. Ned » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Not a Jarmusch expert by any stretch, but I'm guessing Mystery Train is a direct license to Criterion from Jarmusch just like Stranger Than Paradise was. Presumably the window on MGM's distribution of Mystery Train ran out just like Paradise did, and both are now Janus properties.
A very large amount of MGM DVDs went either OOP or became available at clearance prices in late May or so--some of which, ironically, are mentioned in this thread (Burn!, Mystery Train) and elsewhere on the board(The Long Goodbye, Mann's Thief and Manhunter). I used to have a link to the entire list but lost it once I chose what I liked from the list and bought about $100 worth from a wholesaler (it came out to around 30 DVDs, pretty nice). it wouldn't surprise me since MGM is going down the shitter that Criterion has looted the sinking ship a lot more than they've led on. And if any of the films listed above get a Criterion treatment (esp. the two Mann films, Manhunter being my favorite of his), it would be delightful--they are all worthy, I think.

ianungstad

Criterion & MGM

#41 Post by ianungstad » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:29 pm

I asked about Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory and John Huston's The Misfits. Criterion said 50% chance.

Whatever that means. :)

Maybe it's time to start an MGM thread? We're obviously going to start seeing a lot more MGM titles soon-ish.

jaredsap

Re: Criterion Facebook Page

#42 Post by jaredsap » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:47 pm

ianungstad wrote:I asked about Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory and John Huston's The Misfits. Criterion said 50% chance.

Whatever that means. :)
Hopefully it means 100% chance of PATHS OF GLORY and 0% chance of THE MISFITS.

One would think Criterion would try to include LOVE STREAMS in any new MGM deal...

ianungstad

#43 Post by ianungstad » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Criterion said 50-50 which I think meant 50% chance for each one. I only asked about them because I saw them in the clearance bin at Best Buy today, along with Night of the Hunter and The Fugitive Kind and was told by a store associate that they were going to be discontinued. Apparently MGM has a whole pile of stuff that's going to be heading to the disco bins at places like Big Lots, etc soon. The only other title I saw was Lumet's Equus. So with 4/5 MGM titles being strong possibilities acording to Criterion, I half wonder if Equus might be in the works? Hopefully the MGM deal happens. Open the floodgates!

Jameson281

#44 Post by Jameson281 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 pm

ianungstad wrote:Hopefully the MGM deal happens. Open the floodgates!
It is happening. I've heard as few as 5 titles, possibly as many as 15. I'm only aware of one title being actively worked on at the moment.

ianungstad

#45 Post by ianungstad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Jameson281 wrote:
ianungstad wrote:Hopefully the MGM deal happens. Open the floodgates!
It is happening. I've heard as few as 5 titles, possibly as many as 15. I'm only aware of one title being actively worked on at the moment.
On Facebook they said they were wanting to do Ken Loach. Wouldn't be surprised if Kes ends up being one of the MGM titles.

I've asked about a few that got "not in the cards" responses : Santa Sangre, The Best Years of Our Lives, Wuthering Heights, etc.

Wonder if they would be able to get Yellow Submarine. It's been OOP for years. I'm not actually crazy about the film but it would be a big seller.

Jameson281

#46 Post by Jameson281 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:41 pm

ianungstad wrote:Wonder if they would be able to get Yellow Submarine. It's been OOP for years. I'm not actually crazy about the film but it would be a big seller.
Not from MGM--rights reverted to Apple a few years ago.

Jeff

Re: Criterion & MGM

#47 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm

ianungstad wrote:Maybe it's time to start an MGM thread? We're obviously going to start seeing a lot more MGM titles soon-ish.
Done. I added a little four-category chart in the first post to keep track of these. Any changes?

ianungstad

#48 Post by ianungstad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Night of the Hunter and The French Lieutenant's Woman needs to be added!

Jeff

#49 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:16 pm

^ Done. And a few additional relevant posts moved over.

Cinephrenic

#50 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 pm

What a minute... aren't we suppose to think post-1986 MGM or i'm mistaken? That would leave films like Night of the Hunter and other classics obsolete? They now Warners, no?