Criterion and MGM

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Frankinho007

Re: Criterion & MGM

#76 Post by Frankinho007 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Some unreleased United Artists titles would be nice. Would love to see some more noir from Criterion.

ianungstad

#77 Post by ianungstad » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:01 pm

The two Cronenberg's Scanners and The Brood might catch Criterion's attention.

perkizitore

#78 Post by perkizitore » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:46 pm

ianungstad wrote:The two Cronenberg's Scanners and The Brood might catch Criterion's attention.
Criterion should get back the rights for Dead Ringers and release Videodrome on blu-ray first. But, i feel different about Mystery Train though, i'd like Criterion to focus on this instead of the existing Jarmusch Criterion titles (maybe with the exception of Down By Law).

tojoed

#79 Post by tojoed » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Truffaut's The Wild Child and The Green Room are two MGM titles that would interest Criterion, I think. They could both do with better produced editions.

brendanjc

#80 Post by brendanjc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:43 pm

ianungstad wrote:The two Cronenberg's Scanners and The Brood might catch Criterion's attention.
I've always felt that Scanners is a mess, though the infamous um...rapid cranial expansion scene is one of the best moments in any of Cronenberg's films. The Brood might be his most underrated and I'd love to see a special edition release of it eventually - while I found lots of aspects of his films disturbing, that's the only one I'd say is genuinely terrifying.

beamish13

#81 Post by beamish13 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Frankinho007 wrote:Some unreleased United Artists titles would be nice.
I'd kill to see "The Landlord". I've mentioned these titles before, but I'm still pining for Criterion to acquire "Miracle Mile" (only out on fullscreen) and "State of Grace".

Also, MGM had a poll not too long ago asking which titles consumers would like to see on DVD. One of them was Mark Romanek and Keith Gordon's "Static", which absolutely deserves the Criterion treatment.

Cinephrenic

#82 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Did anyone ask about Frankenheimer's The Train, The Manchurian Candidate, The Young Savages?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#83 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Which were all just released in their Frankenheimer boxed set? I think the answer's no and for good reason

manicsounds

#84 Post by manicsounds » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:What a minute... aren't we suppose to think post-1986 MGM or i'm mistaken? That would leave films like Night of the Hunter and other classics obsolete? They now Warners, no?
United Artists releases (like Night Of The Hunter, West Side Story, etc) are still owned by MGM.

flyonthewall2983

#85 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Are there any UA titles WB has the rights to?

ianungstad

#86 Post by ianungstad » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 pm

No : Porgy and Bess

justeleblanc

#87 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:50 pm

ianungstad wrote:No : Porgy and Bess
I also asked Sony about this a few months back and they also told me no, with a bit more explanation. The Gershwin estate wasn't happy with it, and they would rather not see it released. Strangely, there was a nice print of it that showed in New York within the last ten years, as one of my old professors told me he saw it there.

Also, Porgy & Bess was originally Columbia, not UA.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:06 pm

I'd kill for even a boot of Porgy and Bess to surface

Mr. Ned

#89 Post by Mr. Ned » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I don't think this film would whet Criterion's appetite, but John Milius' Dillinger is an MGM release that has also recently gone out of print. Unless I'm forgetting something, it would be both an induction for both Ben Johnson and Warren Oates into the Collection, not to mention more Harry Dean Stanton. The film is a forgotten action masterpiece, in my opinion. One of the top-rated Netflix reviews of the film says it "out-Peckinpahs Peckinpah" and I agree. Maybe Mann's Public Enemies has given MGM initiative to give Dillinger a better release, but I doubt it...

fiddlesticks

#90 Post by fiddlesticks » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Mr. Ned wrote:Unless I'm forgetting something, it would be both an induction for [...] Warren Oates into the Collection
Two-Lane Blacktop

beamish13

#91 Post by beamish13 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:23 am

I don't know what the consensus is on him around these parts, but I think some of Ralph Bakshi's work deserves to finally be acquired by Criterion. "Fritz the Cat" and "Heavy Traffic", two of his best works, are out on good looking, but completely barebones MGM DVDs. They could definitely be supplemented with the personal shorts he's produced between features and some of his commercials, like his famed Coca-Cola spots from the late'60's that were designed by Peter Max.

ianungstad

#92 Post by ianungstad » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:32 am

I have not seen Heavy Traffic but Fritz the Cat would be an excellent choice. The transfer on the current dvd is quite poor as well! You should suggest these two titles to Criterion on Facebook while they may still be shopping at MGM.

Cinephrenic

#93 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:06 am

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia? Not that it really needs a Criterion treatment, but curious to know if in works.

kaujot

#94 Post by kaujot » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:22 am

Whilst the MGM dvd is quite good (image quality and commentary), I'd love for more background information.

Mr. Ned

#95 Post by Mr. Ned » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:42 am

fiddlesticks wrote:
Mr. Ned wrote:Unless I'm forgetting something, it would be both an induction for [...] Warren Oates into the Collection
Two-Lane Blacktop
Gahhhh, to think I forgot that with my Criterion bookcase staring me in the face...

The MGM Alfredo Garcia DVD is indeed pretty good, although I've found nearly every commentary on a Peckinpah film terribly redundant; but if any other Peckinpah movie deserves the CC treatment, this is the one. An Eclipse of his lesser-known films (Convoy, Junior Bonner, Killer Elite, Osterman Weekend) isn't necessary, but would be kind of cool too.

GringoTex

#96 Post by GringoTex » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 am

Junior Bonner needs the CC treatment something fierce. The existing dvd is horrible.

Arthur House

#97 Post by Arthur House » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:27 pm

I caught the end of Wajda's Man of Iron yesterday morning on THIS Tv MGM's HD network/TV Print Clearinghouse. I wonder if it's in play for Criterion. For what it's worth, THIS also recently shown TV edits of The Landlord and The Green Room, and there's a screening of 200 Motels on tap for the morning of October 25th. (Joining the chorus) All three of those would be great additions to the collection as well.

Arthur House

#98 Post by Arthur House » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:18 pm

A friend just reminded me that according to the credit on Hulu, MGM also has Cul-de-sac.

Cinephrenic

#99 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Man of Iron is a masterpiece, along with Everything for Sale. I wish they could get a hold of this stuff.

ianungstad

#100 Post by ianungstad » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Cul-de-sac would be great!

I'm guessing that Rhapsody in August (Akira Kurosawa) is a very likely candidate...

I asked if Criterion had more Fellini in the works and mentioned Satyricon in particular. They alluded that more Fellini is coming but not which titles. I assume the making-of-Satyricon doc from the laserdisc days could possibly still be with Criterion?