News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Matt

Re: Criterion and MGM

#651 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Getting ready for IB 100 in 2018.

Jameson281

#652 Post by Jameson281 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:10 pm

swo17 wrote:Jameson281 is a reliable industry source.

If CC got Persona, I hope that at least Shame and Hour of the Wolf came along with it.
MGM still has the other Bergmans; only PERSONA expired.

Jeff

#653 Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:42 am

I would assume that Persona is back with Svensk and theoretically available to Criterion then.

Lowry_Sam

#654 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:33 am

Heads up for anyone with Amazon Prime. All the United Artists/MGM titles (only some of which are in the MGM made-to-order program) that are available for free streaming if you have a Prime membership will expire by the end of the month. Here's a few that'll disappear:

Pound (Robert Downey Sr.)
Your Past Is Showing (w/ Peter Sellers)
Phaedra (Jules Dassin w/ Anthony Perkins)
The Thief of Paris (Louis Malle)
The 39 Steps (remake)
A Quiet Place In The Country (Elio Petri)
Revolution!
A Rage To Live
Persona
Hour Of The Wolf
Skammen
Serpent's Egg
The Passion Of Anna
Rebellion Of The Hanged
The Second Face
A Place Of One's Own (w/ James Mason)
The Killer Is Loose (Budd Boetticher)
The Hurricane (John Ford)
Quartet (1948)
The Private Files Of J. Edgar Hoover
Hidden Fear (Andre de Toth)
The Ghoul
He Who Must Die (Jules Dassin)
He Ran All The Way (w/ John Garfield)
Hell Drivers
Park Row (Samuel Fuller)
I Start Counting

captveg

#655 Post by captveg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and La Cage aux Folles can be moved to the Available/Officially Announced list in the first post.

duck duck

#656 Post by duck duck » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Any reason to think "... And Film Is My Mistress" couldn't be an extra on Persona or a possible box?

ryannichols7

#657 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 pm

duck duck wrote:Any reason to think "... And Film Is My Mistress" couldn't be an extra on Persona or a possible box?
don't see why it wouldn't be. I definitely forsee Liv and Ingmar coming with Persona, at the least though.

I wonder if the MGM Bergmans will come as a box, or come separately. Persona would be a huge title separately, but the others I'm not so sure about. they should all be on Bluray, probably. don't see them dumping onto Eclipse.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#658 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Persona is the only film from the MGM box for which their rights expired.

ryannichols7

#659 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07 pm

swo17 wrote:Persona is the only film from the MGM box for which their rights expired.
well damn. i was definitely misinformed

I'd bet on that coming out fairly soon, then.

MongooseCmr

#660 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:22 pm

I don't think they'd do three Bergman releases in one year.

ryannichols7

#661 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:35 pm

MongooseCmr wrote:I don't think they'd do three Bergman releases in one year.
not this year, but early next year or so. I highly doubt they would too, even though he's their most prized director, or whatever.

ianungstad

Re: Criterion Newsletter (Part 2)

#662 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 am

Maybe we do have more MGM titles coming?

Those phantom cast and crew pages for The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Carnal Knowledge, Take the Money and Run were dismissed as Criterion fucking with us but this newsletter clue might indicate they did license more titles.

While they still have a bunch of titles from their last licensing deal to release; if MGM/Fox were shopping around some of the big titles; I think Criterion would jump on them.

As for Kramer I have only seen On the Beach and 5,000 Fingers of Dr.T (produced and uncredited co-director) and thought both were very good films.

Jeff

Re: Criterion Newsletter (Part 2)

#663 Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am

ianungstad wrote:Those phantom cast and crew pages for The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Carnal Knowledge, Take the Money and Run were dismissed as Criterion fucking with us but this newsletter clue might indicate they did license more titles.
I suppose that's true, and MGM did just license 40(!) titles to Twilight Time and a bunch more to Shout! Factory, so maybe Fox just said, "Fuck it, the whole MGM library is up for grabs. Who wants what?" I guess if Fox is offering up the heavy hitters of the MGM catalog, Criterion might bite no matter how backed up they are.

On related note, I had once postulated that MGM's titles from the Avco-Embassy-Nelson library (The Graduate, The Producers, Carnal Knowledge, the best Rob Reiner movies) wouldn't be available to Criterion because MGM was already licensing them from StudioCanal. Turns out, that's not true. MGM bought the U.S. home video rights to these outright when they bought the pre-97 Polygram library. StudioCanal has the theatrical rights, and I think they have the elements and generally supply the transfers, but it looks like MGM can do whatever they want with the home video licenses. They've already let Shout take a crack at The Producers, The Fog, and The Howling.

Moe Dickstein

#664 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

The best thing from the Nelson library for Criterion to do would be Texasville. There's a vastly longer and superior directors cut that's only been seen on Laserdisc, a director ready to do commentary, and it's a sequel to a film already in the collection. Total no brainier.

criterion10

#665 Post by criterion10 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 am

If Criterion has licensed more titles from MGM, I hope that one of them is Women in Love, by Ken Russell. The current MGM DVD is crap, not even anamorphic. There are some good extras on it though, including two commentaries, one with Russell, another with screenwriter/producer Larry Kramer. Criterion could easily go all out with a great Blu-Ray though. I'd even go so far as to say that I hope Criterion has licensed out both Music Lovers and Valentino, although I doubt that they would be interested in those ones.

Russell actually has a phantom page, so who knows. Although, I do assume it is for an eventual release of Mahler, which Janus owns.

knives

#666 Post by knives » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am

It's probably for Mahler which is up on Hulu.

John Doe

#667 Post by John Doe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm

So, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot might be releasing after all. Cimino were right.

Lowry_Sam

#668 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 am

knives wrote:It's probably for Mahler which is up on Hulu.
Actually it's for The Devils, which wasn't quite ready in time for spine #666, but will be released next year in a loaded 2-disc edition.

The Narrator Returns

#669 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 am

Where did you find the information regarding The Devils? And can't the Ken Russell phantom page be for more than just one movie?

Jeff

#670 Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Actually it's for The Devils, which wasn't quite ready in time for spine #666, but will be released next year in a loaded 2-disc edition.
Now somebody on another forum is going to pick that quote up and repeat it as though it were a fact.

John Doe

#671 Post by John Doe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Where did you hear that?

bainbridgezu

#672 Post by bainbridgezu » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:25 am

Perhaps Criterion argeed to take It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in order to reclaim some OOP titles that MGM / Fox released on blu-ray, specifically bare-bones editions like Straw Dogs and Sid and Nancy. Kim Hendrickson has mentioned that Criterion passed on an opportunity to re-license Silence of the Lambs because it already had a blu-ray with supplements, so they may not be interested in Spinal Tap or the Selznick-Hitchcocks either.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#673 Post by Brian C » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:55 am

John Doe wrote:Where did you hear that?
It was in the same interview where they confirmed The Magnificent Ambersons, a 12-disc edition of Out 1, the complete filmography of Paul Thomas Anderson, and the reacquisition of all the StudioCanal titles.

CSM126

#674 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm

If MGM is loosening the reigns a little maybe there's renewed hope for Last Tango in Paris? Deserves a special edition, and MGM released it barebones.

Lowry_Sam

#675 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:58 pm

John Doe wrote:
Lowry_Sam wrote:
Where did you hear that?
...just call it the power of positive thinking. Actually someone here did mention something about The Devils appearing in 2014, I was just extrapolating.