Criterion on Social Media

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
okcmaxk

Re: Criterion on Social Media

#3226 Post by okcmaxk » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:28 pm

BREAKING: Heardheads Rejoice, Hackettheads Blu-Balled

Amy Robinson commented on the IG post, said they were there to talk about the first film she and Dunne produced (Chilly Scenes of Winter)––when was the last Twilight Time pickup?

yoloswegmaster

#3227 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:55 pm

Devil in a Blue Dress and Leave Her to Heaven were the last Twilight Time pickups that were released by Criterion as far as I'm aware.

therewillbeblus

#3228 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:20 am

I just bought the TT blu from Screen Archives not that long ago, but it's a great film that deserves a wider audience

ChunkyLover

#3229 Post by ChunkyLover » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Interesting choice. I figured a potential re-release would of been more up someone like Fun City.

Luke M

#3230 Post by Luke M » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:13 pm

Kinda torn on whether or not to purchase Tár today. Any chance they were there for an upcoming release?

FrauBlucher

#3231 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:40 pm

Field could’ve been there for In the Bedroom or Little Children, neither one has a bluray release, and Blanchett was along for the ride. Maybe she was already in town for Tar publicity.

hearthesilence

#3232 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:24 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Field could’ve been there for In the Bedroom or Little Children, neither one has a bluray release, and Blanchett was along for the ride. Maybe she was already in town for Tar publicity.
Pretty much. IIRC the visit was reported on social media right between their appearances at the NYFF and MoMI to promote their film.

ryannichols7

#3233 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:23 pm

I think rescuing Field's other two films is a lot more likely. maybe in the future we'll see Tár since it is a Focus/Universal title but this was surely just a publicity run. Blanchett appeared on Hot Ones the same day

MV88

#3234 Post by MV88 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:37 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
How do we know Cate wasn’t there for an upcoming Criterion release with Todd along for the ride? Not that In the Bedroom and Little Children aren’t possibilities, but there are quite a few more possibilities from Cate’s filmography. I’m Not There, for one, seems ripe for a Criterion release.

dwk

#3235 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:27 am

I think the most likely option is it was just a stop on the publicity tour.

Second most likely option is they filmed an Adventures in Moviegoing for the Channel, with one of them acting as the interviewer and the other the interviewee.

Matt

#3236 Post by Matt » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:12 am

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Criterion editions of any Todd Field films. Unless he’s changed his mind drastically in the last 20 years, he’s not in favor of extras for the home video release:
''Once a film is made available to the public, the right of interpretation belongs to the viewer,'' Mr. Field said this week. ''Unless it's something historical -- like 'Citizen Kane' or 'Raging Bull' -- it seems really silly to have that kind of thing.'' What's more, he said, by doing away with the extras, more space is available on the DVD for picture quality.

therewillbeblus

#3237 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:39 am

I wouldn’t bet against a person changing his mind in the span of 20 years (over a third of his life) about something so trivial. That’s a long time for people to change opinions about big things in life (didn’t Field run the gamut in exploring his own identity and wrestling with compromises as an artist over the last two decades between films?), no reason to think he’d hold the exact same opinion about something like extras on home video releases. Especially since we’ve jumped two formats from DVDs and now most extras are being put on a separate blu ray, or at least the disc’s space is being considered by boutique companies in a way that probably wasn’t as prominent when he made that statement.

Then again, maybe he’s unironically just like Lydia Tar, repressing the change in the world around him and refusing to go those places internally to challenge his own impressions as well

beamish14

#3238 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:20 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:12 am
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Criterion editions of any Todd Field films. Unless he’s changed his mind drastically in the last 20 years, he’s not in favor of extras for the home video release:
''Once a film is made available to the public, the right of interpretation belongs to the viewer,'' Mr. Field said this week. ''Unless it's something historical -- like 'Citizen Kane' or 'Raging Bull' -- it seems really silly to have that kind of thing.'' What's more, he said, by doing away with the extras, more space is available on the DVD for picture quality.

I remember reading how Paul Thomas Anderson became frustrated by interviewers repeatedly pulling comments he had made from the commentaries on his two films. He said that his own feelings about his work continues to change, and that he doesn’t want his older remarks to seem like his definitive opinions, which makes sense.

That said, I’d love to have a Criterion of any of his works that includes his American Film Institute shorts

FrauBlucher

#3239 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:47 am

MV88 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:37 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
How do we know Cate wasn’t there for an upcoming Criterion release with Todd along for the ride? Not that In the Bedroom and Little Children aren’t possibilities, but there are quite a few more possibilities from Cate’s filmography. I’m Not There, for one, seems ripe for a Criterion release.
I’m Not There and Carol would be most welcome to the collection from another Todd AFAIC.

I didn’t know that about Fields aversion to supplements on his films. I do think his idea that only a Citizen Kane or Raging Bull deserves to have extras is silly. Way too many films that are not canonical that deserve to be discussed and highlighted with supplements.

dwk

#3240 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:07 pm

ryannichols7

#3241 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:12 pm

more Gilliam again, The Fisher King UHD is coming

FrauBlucher

#3242 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:18 pm

dwk

#3243 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:55 pm

I Know these usually don't amount to anything, but here are some recent closet visitors:
Susanna Hoffs
Charlie Day
Gregg Araki
Carl Franklin

Finch

#3244 Post by Finch » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:18 pm

Carl Franklin being there hopefully means they interviewed him for a long overdue 4k and BD of One False Move!

therewillbeblus

#3245 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:17 am

They made a point of advertising the new 4K restoration of The Doom Generation’s directors cut in the Araki post, and I highly doubt Criterion is touching that one, so it seemed like a friendly promotion more than anything else

dwk

#3246 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:03 pm

Recent closet visitors (pics not videos.)
Isabella Rossellini

Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio

Kracker

#3247 Post by Kracker » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:40 pm

Gregg Araki's Closet Picks

Id be pretty over the moon if Araki on Criterion actually becomes a thing

Matt

#3248 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 pm

I had posted in another thread what I thought was confirmation that Strand was releasing their own Blu-ray of The Doom Generation, but I now think that was just someone misinterpreting Strand’s announcement of the 4K restoration for theatrical release. I wouldn’t be surprised now to see Araki’s trilogy from Criterion, especially considering they’re currently on the Channel and Strand has already recently licensed to Criterion.

Rupert Pupkin

#3249 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:03 pm

That would be great to see The Doom Generation in the Criterion collection. If they did a 4K restoration UHD+BR would be better that just a Blu-Ray release by Strand.
In the meantime "The Doom Generation" is available at amazon in 1080. Is it the new restoration and "director's cut" version which is described on Strand web site ? The movie is running 1h23 now.

Rupert Pupkin

#3250 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:32 am

not sure if this is the 4K restoration...

it's here : available in UHD (but no info when the movie starts (with the Strand logo) about a 4K restoration and director's "new" cut :
I'm not familiar with US rating; does 18+; as it appears on amazon.com means "uncut" "uncut" ?
the movie about 1h23 (color are vivid; as vivid like True Romance) but it could have more details and more "grain film like texture".

besides, on Strand movie web page, the "Doom Generation" is shown with coming soon to DVD and blu-ray logo on its web page.
Does that mean that a Criterion release is kaput ? :?
https://strandreleasing.com/films/the-doom-generation/