Criterion on Social Media

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
knives

Re: Criterion Facebook and Twitter

#2351 Post by knives » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Like I said I haven't seen it, so I just assumed based on the similar titles they were related.

Cold Bishop

#2352 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 pm

"Mr. Death" is a different personage than "Dr. Death". One designed execution devices, and later got in trouble for questioning the validity of gas chambers. The other was a psychologist who testified in hundreds of trials, often designating criminals as sociopaths and recommending the death penalty. I believe Morris's research on the latter lead him to interview Randall Dale Adams, deciding his was a more interesting story.

EDIT: Maybe Morris can make a documentary about that damn page break.

Harmonov

#2353 Post by Harmonov » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 pm

zedz wrote:I think we did have some oblique confirmation of those three early films, a long time ago, but I can't remember what it was.

If those films are released, I would love to see extras specifically devoted to the abandoned features out of which they evolved (e.g. the 'Nub City' and 'Doctor Death' documentaries). Morris can talk and talk, so I hope he's all over any release with commentaries, reflections, updates and so forth. Stick him in the Interrotron, Criterion!
Jonathan Sehring, president of IFC, confirmed to me at the same Q&A that he announced Tiny Furniture and the "major-minor" fiasco, that Criterion would release Morris' first three films. This was after a screening of Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

FakeBonanza

#2354 Post by FakeBonanza » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Now we know that Y Tu Mama Tambien's release is (finally) imminent.

No one else has raided the closet quite like Cuaron and Pawlikowski.

ianungstad

#2355 Post by ianungstad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning to release Y Tu Mama Tambien and Children of Men as back to back spine numbers. Universal discontinued Children of Men on dvd and blu a few months ago but Amazon still has plenty of copies in stock. (Technically the double feature of Children of Men/Repo Men is still listed as available from Universal.)

FrauBlucher

#2356 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Children of Men would be awesome.

Cuaron is certainly not shy in the closet.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Criterion on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube

#2357 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Children Of Men would be a surprise to me. A very pleasant one, mind you but still a surprise.

colinr0380

#2358 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I wonder based on that video if this also means that we may be getting Pawlikoswki's BBC Film productions. While Last Resort (the asylum seeker tale) and My Summer Of Love (the forbidden lesbian love story in a religious commune tale) are his most celebrated films (and both feature Paddy Considine in key roles), I'd particularly like if Criterion were doing a set of the director's films for the more obscure Moscow-set film The Stringer, and maybe his earlier documentaries, to also get included.

Though it looks as if My Summer Of Love was distributed by, ahem, Focus Features.

colinr0380

#2359 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Jgh8xxx

#2360 Post by Jgh8xxx » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Gotta be Memories of Murder right? Mother and The Host have perfectly decent Blurays from Magnolia, and Magnolia also holds US rights for Barking Dogs Never Bite. Unless we're venturing into some all of a sudden Criterion has a deal with The Weinstein Company type situation, gotta be MoM.

Professor Wagstaff

#2361 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Jgh8xxx wrote:
Gotta be Memories of Murder right? Mother and The Host have perfectly decent Blurays from Magnolia, and Magnolia also holds US rights for Barking Dogs Never Bite. Unless we're venturing into some all of a sudden Criterion has a deal with The Weinstein Company type situation, gotta be MoM.
I wouldn't read too much into the Criterion Closet. Plenty of people raided the closet without having a future film coming out. Bong Joon-ho's on the promotion circuit now and probably got an invite (he does have a relationship with the company from when he did an interview for The Housemaid).

captveg

#2362 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:42 pm

All that being said, a Memories of Murder Criterion would be awesome.

chucktatum

#2363 Post by chucktatum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 am

captveg wrote:All that being said, a Memories of Murder Criterion would be awesome.
I absolutely second this. It's one of my all-time favorites (had the privilege to tell Mr. Bong that in person last month) and my CJ Korean Blu freezes up when playing.

bamwc2

#2365 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Many thought that this was coming out soon. Assuming that the picture wasn't take awhile ago, we may have to wait another couple of years for the box set.

FrauBlucher

#2367 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Everyone gets trapped in that darn closet.

Bando

#2369 Post by Bando » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:56 am

domino harvey wrote:Zizek visits the closet
Here, we discover ZIzek has not upgraded to Blu-Ray.

colinr0380

#2370 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:00 pm

I just like the way that the camera sependipitously reframes to show the Burden of Dreams disc just as he begins to talk about it!

I'm with him on the extras, although the best films are those that raise a number of topics that provide room for further discussion - seriously I think that a logical next step for Criterion or any company is to release a series of roundtable discussions and topic interviews that are not limited by a particular film that they have to tie into but instead can range over a much wider set of topics. Although I guess you could argue that a film like Los Angeles Plays Itself has already taken that idea and run with it, that there are already a number of podcasts that have moved the activity of film discussion forward without needing to be constrained by running time or subject matter, and that Criteiron's website (or linked to material such as Matt Zoller Seitz's piece on All That Jazz) might be better suited to such material rather than a commercially sold disc. But there is still a lot of cache to the 'film school in a box' idea, even with all of these new methods of communication.

John Doe

#2371 Post by John Doe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:03 pm

William Friedkin visits the closet.

Cruising from Criterion?

vidussoni

#2372 Post by vidussoni » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:23 pm

My guess would be The Boys in the Band.

Cruising is a Warner Bros title.

John Doe

#2373 Post by John Doe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 pm

vidussoni wrote:My guess would be The Boys in the Band.

Cruising is a Warner Bros title.
So is Badlands. :-k

ianungstad

#2374 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Warner Brothers dumped Cruising into their Warner Archive program.

Almost Certainly: The Boys in the Band. Out of print Paramount disc. Has not been reissued by Warner Brothers. Generally well regarded. Culturally important. Lots they could do with the supplements.

Outside chance: To Live and Die in L.A

Minkin

#2375 Post by Minkin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:19 pm

John Doe wrote:William Friedkin visits the closet.

Cruising from Criterion?
Just watch, we probably all guessed the wrong starved blue wildcat.