Criterion on Social Media

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jeff

Re: Criterion Facebook and Twitter

#1951 Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm

swo17 wrote:Almost certainly a shot from here.
Where in the world did the Spike Jonze commentary that accompanies that clip come from? There is no commentary track on the extant R1 disc, and as far as I can tell, on any other release either. The clip was posted in 2007, and I can only assume that some breach of the space-time continuum was responsible for getting what must be a track from the 2012 Criterion release.

souvenir

#1952 Post by souvenir » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Jeff wrote:Where in the world did the Spike Jonze commentary that accompanies that clip come from?
I know Jonze is a prankster but that doesn't sound like his voice or even any conceivable version of it.

tarpilot

#1953 Post by tarpilot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Oedipax

#1954 Post by Oedipax » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:21 pm

It sounds like a bad impression, maybe. It's a bit lower and not as nasally as the real one. Also the abundance of hiss in the commentary recording suggests it's not a professional job, probably someone's homemade recording or something.

Also, the "Hey Malkovich, think fast!" line is in the copy of the script floating around online, although who knows if that's a reliable pre-production source.

Harmonov

#1955 Post by Harmonov » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Sounds like another Chaplin is coming out tomorrow. After someone on FB posted about watching Modern Times for a class, they responded with:
Thanks for the kind words, Zach, and pay attention tomorrow!

Professor Wagstaff

#1956 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 am

Please let it be City Lights [-o<

matrixschmatrix

#1957 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 am

I think it's been strongly hinted that it's The Gold Rush. If so, we'll finally find out how they're treating the silent version, at least.

chrisandy

#1958 Post by chrisandy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:09 pm

According to one user, and subsequently Criterion, it's "Stairs the film".

ellipsis7

#1959 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Kiarostami/"Where is the Friend's House?", thus The Koker Trilogy maybe...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1960 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 pm

People are saying they've confirmed from Netflix streaming that it's Certified Copy!

bnowalk

#1961 Post by bnowalk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:16 pm

It's definitely from Certified Copy!

chrisandy

#1962 Post by chrisandy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Interesting because according to the IFC President last year, Criterion thought it "minor Kiarostami" and decided to not release it. Guess that changed...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1963 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:21 pm

I can't wrap my head around what makes it so special, but I'm happy for Swo.

ellipsis7

#1964 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:24 pm

chrisandy wrote:Interesting because according to the IFC President last year, Criterion thought it "minor Kiarostami" and decided to not release it. Guess that changed...
However its release bodes well for more Kiarostami on Blu from CC, and I rather like it... AK is also currently finishing off his Japanese film...

Jeff

#1965 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Fanfreakintastic. So glad that they came to their senses. I suspected that the long delay meant that they had.

Harmonov

#1966 Post by Harmonov » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm

swo17 wrote:People are saying they've confirmed from Netflix streaming that it's Certified Copy!
As the one who relayed the story initially that Criterion were balking at Certified Copy because it was "minor", I'm glad that Criterion decided to release it. It is a wonderful film and deserving to be in the Collection.

Jeff

#1967 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I can't wrap my head around what makes it so special, but I'm happy for Swo.
I think it's absolutely brilliant, one of Kiarostami's best, and I'm thrilled to see it coming. It's a close second to The Social Network on the Consensus Dynamic Top Tens for 2010, so I'm sure that cheers are coming from many quarters.

scotty2

#1968 Post by scotty2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Perhaps a Taste of Cherry upgrade to pair with it?

chrisandy

#1969 Post by chrisandy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm

It's definitely a movie that people should seek out if they are unfamiliar, and I'm glad Criterion will aid in that. That said, I wasn't crazy about the film - I really enjoyed Ten and A Taste of Cherry but this one ran out of gas on me, especially in the last third. Do you think repeat viewings would change my mind?

matrixschmatrix

#1970 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm so delighted to hear about CC that I no longer begrudge Lena Dunham her spine number. Hopefully we'll get another early Kiarostami movie as a bonus.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1971 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Would rather have actually seen Stairs: the Film get added, but I'm happy for the fans (even if, like others, Certified Copy does little for me)

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#1972 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm

This just proves that you people should listen to me more often.

But really, happy news. I loved the movie too, and I wonder if there will be any outtakes or deleted scenes included as extras. In an interview last year (in Cineaste, maybe?), Binoche described a particular take that she was very angry with Kiarostami for discarding. There's nothing like that on the other Criterion Kiarostami discs, but I'd love to see it if it still exists.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1973 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Also, me. More people should listen to me.

triodelover

#1974 Post by triodelover » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 pm

swo17 wrote:Also, me. More people should listen to me.
Jeez, swo, I already hang on your every word. What more do you want?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1975 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm

All I want is for everyone to get what they wanted to order in the Valentine's Day sale.
Criterion wrote:Wow! That was a crazy twenty-four hours.

We were so excited for our Valentine’s Day sale, which was supposed to be a chance to show off the new My Criterion features of our website. But as soon as the sale began, we knew we had a problem. With the initial flood of traffic, the site ground to a virtual halt, and our developers spent the day disabling many of the new features in order to speed up the site. The performance improved but still isn’t where we’d like it to be when there are many people using the site at the same time.

We know this has been a frustrating experience for many of you, so please know we take our customer service very seriously and will respond to all of your e-mail questions. Our customer support team is typing away as you are reading this, so hang in there! Also, a big thank-you to the people who wrote in to say they had a positive experience during the sale. Your kind words mean a lot!

If there was something you wanted but you were unable to get your order through before our stock ran out, now’s your chance. We’ve set up a promo code that will allow you to backorder any title that went out of stock before the sale ended, and we'll honor the sale price. No need to rush to the site; the code will be active until 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Thursday, February 16. Quantities are limited to one copy of each title/edition per customer. Please note that we cannot combine these backorders with previously placed orders.

Just enter the promotional code REDO on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to apply the discount. Please bear in mind that the discount is only for backordered items (you will see a “Temporarily out of stock” message when adding them to your shopping cart). Please note it will take a few weeks for these items to be back in stock.

Thanks again for your patience and support!

The Criterion Collection