Criterion on Social Media

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
gorgeousnothings

Re: Criterion on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube

#2601 Post by gorgeousnothings » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:37 pm

Please return to the Criterion Collection Library.
What I would give to be the Criterion Collection's librarian.

CSM126

#2602 Post by CSM126 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:54 am

Spitballing an idea here: Doesn't Nixon have a very similar bank of monitors in his office in Secret Honor? He watches security camera feeds on it a few times. Maybe the picture's a hint for a blu-upgrade on announcement day?

AfterTheRain

#2603 Post by AfterTheRain » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:40 pm

CSM126 wrote:Spitballing an idea here: Doesn't Nixon have a very similar bank of monitors in his office in Secret Honor? He watches security camera feeds on it a few times. Maybe the picture's a hint for a blu-upgrade on announcement day?
Don't know for sure, but it is something to ponder there...

ermylaw

#2604 Post by ermylaw » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Interesting to me that three of these four have Blu-rays... Maybe it's an oblique hint that La Strada is getting an upgrade.

ptatler

#2605 Post by ptatler » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:41 pm

swo17 wrote:Stop
I'll stop when they finally release ILL SORE RATZO RIZZO.
ermylaw wrote: Maybe it's an oblique hint that La Strada is getting an upgrade.
Have there been rumblings about this? I'd love to see I VITELLONI get a new release, too.

jedgeco

#2606 Post by jedgeco » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:43 pm

And "[We]M [Wend]ers [Kin]gs [of the R]oad" cut off in the upper left.

sir_luke

#2607 Post by sir_luke » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:45 pm

John Waters and Angela Lansbury on Instagram. Just for kicks? Or something weird and wonderful in the works?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2608 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Wonder if it's Manchurian Candidate?

HelenLawson

#2609 Post by HelenLawson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm sure Angela is there to film an interview for The Manchurian Candidate and, I hope, John was recruited to provide commentary for the upcoming release of either Bergman's Brink of Life or Losey's Boom!.

CSM126

#2610 Post by CSM126 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Or maybe they decided to pick up Pink Flamingos and/or Polyester from Warner since they were both Criterion laserdiscs?

criterion10

#2611 Post by criterion10 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:45 pm

CSM126 wrote:Or maybe they decided to pick up Pink Flamingos and/or Polyester from Warner since they were both Criterion laserdiscs?
WB Shop still has Pink Flamingos in print and for sale, so I doubt it's that one.

Minkin

#2612 Post by Minkin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:59 pm

criterion10 wrote:
CSM126 wrote:Or maybe they decided to pick up Pink Flamingos and/or Polyester from Warner since they were both Criterion laserdiscs?
WB Shop still has Pink Flamingos in print and for sale, so I doubt it's that one.
Doesn't mean a thing! :P

I'd say its likely the former laserdisc titles.

britcom68

#2613 Post by britcom68 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I wonder if this is for "Something for Everyone." Talk about a long-overlooked OOP film, I can see Waters interested in it.

criterion10

#2614 Post by criterion10 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Minkin wrote:
criterion10 wrote:
Doesn't mean a thing!
Ah, you're right! I assumed that all the Criterion-licensed WB titles went OOP, due to that list of OOP titles that surfaced last November.

RSTooley

#2615 Post by RSTooley » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:20 am

You know, Serial Mom is curiously missing a Blu-ray edition and the Criterion Collection is curiously missing a film featuring Matthew Lillard.

hollis

#2616 Post by hollis » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Gaspar Noe's Irreversible gets a specific shout-out on twitter:
"With IRREVERSIBLE, it’s a movie with stars, & from that moment on, you know it’s all fake." http://ow.ly/UTXHQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finch

#2617 Post by Finch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:53 pm

If Criterion release Irreversible, then Border Radio is officially dethroned as the worst piece of shit in the entire collection. Seul Contre Tous would be a far better choice, not least because it's the only decent film Noe's ever made.

FrauBlucher

#2618 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:25 pm

colinr0380

#2619 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:04 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:From twitter:
More John Waters at the Criterion offices.
Christmas Evil is great (and makes a fun double bill with Serial Mom, as they both involve people desperately trying to maintain a sense of order which people in the 'real world' don't seem to value!) although Waters is slightly under-selling the ending in which the creepy murderous Santa doesn't exactly ride off in "his sleigh", but
SpoilerShow
drives off in his beaten up old serial killer van (albeit with a sleigh picture on the side!), swerves to avoid a crowd of angry torch wielding villagers and magically drives the van off into the air, in an ending that weirdly anticipates the climax of Thelma & Louise!

gorgeousnothings

#2620 Post by gorgeousnothings » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:11 pm

"The always entertaining Paul Morrissey stopped by today with some vintage publicity material in tow."

This is a link to an instagram post, but it's worth noting that the same post on twitter has the Andy Warhol Museum tagged.

Minkin

#2621 Post by Minkin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:29 pm

gorgeousnothings wrote:"The always entertaining Paul Morrissey stopped by today with some vintage publicity material in tow."

This is a link to an instagram post, but it's worth noting that the same post on twitter has the Andy Warhol Museum tagged.
This must assuredly be related to at least one of his four films that are with Westchester (and since someone will respond back with "but Shout.." - they have a streaming media deal with Westchester, which as of yet hasn't had any impact on physical media, thus Criterion would have likely gone after the rights - and most likely did before Shout entered the picture).

So the possible films would be:

Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein
Trash
Flesh

ShempTCat

#2622 Post by ShempTCat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Minkin wrote:
gorgeousnothings wrote:"The always entertaining Paul Morrissey stopped by today with some vintage publicity material in tow."

This must assuredly be related to at least one of his four films that are with Westchester (and since someone will respond back with "but Shout.." - they have a streaming media deal with Westchester, which as of yet hasn't had any impact on physical media, thus Criterion would have likely gone after the rights - and most likely did before Shout entered the picture).

Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein
Trash
Flesh

Out of curiosity, who has Heat?

CSM126

#2623 Post by CSM126 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Dracula and Frankenstein seem like obvious picks given they've been out of print so long. Perhaps they might even issue Frankenstein in a 3D blu ray combo?

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2624 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:22 pm

ShempTCat wrote:
Minkin wrote:

Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein
Trash
Flesh

Out of curiosity, who has Heat?
Morrissey controls the home video rights to most of his Warhol-affiliated films: Flesh, Heat, Trash, Women in Revolt and the Dracula/Frankenstein duo; at least he made the previous distribution deal with Image on his own behalf (Westchester has TV, streaming and maybe non-theatrical rights to the films).

gorgeousnothings

#2625 Post by gorgeousnothings » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:44 am

Oh I also forgot to mention that Criterion tagged Joe Dallesandro in a followup tweet. Joe seems to be tweeting about Trash lately.