Criterion and Miramax

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Harmonov

Re: Criterion and Miramax

#51 Post by Harmonov » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:07 am

jaredsap wrote:
Cinephrenic wrote:Now that several Miramax titles have been confirmed, I think it is proper to have a thread for this new relationship, and discussions on possible titles for release.
THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT is a tantalizing possibility...
This would indeed be awesome. What would awesome-r would be a set of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort ...or any Demy for that matter. Isn't Lola out of print now, btw?

Narshty

Re: Criterion and Miramax

#52 Post by Narshty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 am

Cinephrenic wrote:Now that several Miramax titles have been confirmed, I think it is proper to have a thread for this new relationship, and discussions on possible titles for release.
So presumably the Chasing Amy reissue is back on the release schedule.

cyan

#53 Post by cyan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:41 am

PLEASE, Criterion, give me Sonatine!

And while you guys are at at, just go ahead and make it part of the Blu-ray release schedule. I know 4 people who would buy it immediately, and it's my second-favorite film of all time...I'd buy it on Blu-ray AND dvd.

An upgrade to the already-good-looking Miramax DVD would be nice, eliminating those nasty yellow subtitles would be great too. Adding supplements would make it perfect. I'd love to see what Criterion came up with for Cover art for that one too.

Narshty

#54 Post by Narshty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:28 pm

It would be a great day if Criterion got hold of The Beyond, now the Anchor Bay edition (originally licensed from Miramax's Rolling Thunder imprint) has been OOP for so long.

jules

#55 Post by jules » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:43 pm

What about My Left Foot? Great movie that deserves Criterion treatment!

miless

#56 Post by miless » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:10 pm

I doubt Miramax would license an Academy Award Winner, especially given Daniel Day Lewis' recent near-god status.

Person

#57 Post by Person » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Narshty wrote:It would be a great day if Criterion got hold of The Beyond, now the Anchor Bay edition (originally licensed from Miramax's Rolling Thunder imprint) has been OOP for so long.
I wouldn't have guessed that you'd be a fan of The Beyond! Cool. Yes, a Criterion edition would be a real treat, though I don't care who reissues this mesmerizing film, just as long as it happens ASAP.

mogwai

#58 Post by mogwai » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Grindhouse Releasing is issuing a DVD of The Beyond this October.

Cold Bishop

#59 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:58 pm

They've been promising it forever, but that press release at least looks a little more hopeful.

Person

#60 Post by Person » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Ah, nice one! :D

Awful cover, but at least the extras from the AB have been ported over. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the last film of note to be shot in Techniscope and it is a beautifully photographed film; highly oneiric.

Jeff

#61 Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:39 pm

The sell sheets for November confirm that Chungking Express is indeed under license from Miramax. Speculate away!

Tom Hagen

#62 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Jeff wrote:The sell sheets for November confirm that Chungking Express is indeed under license from Miramax. Speculate away!
Belle de jour

ianungstad

#63 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 pm

I thought I heard that the Weinstein's picked up the rights to Battle Royale years ago when they were with Miramax?

If the rights are still with Disney/Miramax, it would be nice if Criterion would finally give that film a region 1 release.
Last edited by ianungstad on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt

#64 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Jersey Girl 3-disc edition?

Just give me Purple Noon on Blu-ray so I can put prime-era Delon on a loop. And I can't believe they'd pass on the opportunity to get Almodovar in the collection with Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! and High Heels. The first has been OOP in R1 for years and the second has never been released on DVD in R1.

Maybe they'll put out that director's cut of 54 that is supposed to be a revelation. Or at least Velvet Goldmine. Can't imagine they'd pass up the chance to release a Todd Haynes film.

But you just know they're dying to do Evita since they've already got that commentary by Alan Parker sitting in their vault. Oh yeah, and Shine.

ianungstad

#65 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:25 pm

I had asked "John Mulvaney" about Prospero's Books and the potential for other Greenaway films. He replied that The Cook, The Wife, The Thief, Her Lover is the only Greenaway title that they had, so that one's definitly not coming.

Soderberg is friendly with Criterion, so maybe Sex, Lies, and Videotape? It was a Criterion laserdisc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 pm

Along those lines, isn't Kafka a Miramax release?

Since Bordwell's such a huge fan, why not obtain the rights and get him to do a commentary on Les Demoiselles de Rochefort?

ianungstad

#67 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:Along those lines, isn't Kafka a Miramax release?

Since Bordwell's such a huge fan, why not obtain the rights and get him to do a commentary on Les Demoiselles de Rochefort?
I asked Mulvaney awhile back about Kafka and King of the Hill since neither have had a dvd release. No's on both. Kafka is listed as being theatrically distributed by Miramax and Paramount for home video at any rate.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:01 pm

The R2 King of the Hill is on Universal, so I guess it's possible

justeleblanc

#69 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:35 pm

Aside from Chungking and Zentropa, do we know of any other Miramax titles.

Keep in mind that in an email from JM, he confirmed that Belle de jour is NOT coming.

Cronenfly

#70 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:39 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Aside from Chungking and Zentropa, do we know of any other Miramax titles.

Keep in mind that in an email from JM, he confirmed that Belle de jour is NOT coming.
With Belle swatted down, The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover is the only other confirmed title at this point.

dx23

#71 Post by dx23 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Although I own the very good Korean DVD release, I would gladly welcome Malena if done by Criterion. Also add Il' Postino which has a barebones release in the US.

kiarostami

#72 Post by kiarostami » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:07 pm

What about Through the Olive Trees? Miramax has owned the rights for that for ages and it is doubtful that they would ever release it on DVD.

justeleblanc

#73 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Personally I'm perplexed that JM said no on the Bunuel.

Is this a Scorsese property?

ianungstad

#74 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Well. it might depend on who answered and how they did. Did they say no? Or did they say not currently on our production schedule?

I asked about Face to Face which is a Paramount title that I thought was already confirmed and got a "no plans at this time." So who knows?

I think Matt Lipson is the individual who is doing the Mulvaney responses now instead of Tamara based off my expiernce, so maybe he is approaching emails differently.

justeleblanc

#75 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:42 am

Good old Matt Lipson? Didn't someone find a Bar Mitzvah picture of him somewhere online and post it here?

And no doubt Tamara stopped responding after the sausage-fest response from this forum.

By the way, it was a "we have no plans at this time" response.