Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#1801 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

captveg wrote:
Drucker wrote:Also, let's not forget The Cameraman which I believe would have to be a high candidate for release. Or I'd like to believe, at least.
Would be a great way to get Keaton in the collection properly (not counting Chaplin's Limelight).
swo17 wrote:For the record, I'm not counting It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World either.
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is in the Collection. Ugh. When did that happen?

giovannii84

#1802 Post by giovannii84 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Raymond Marble wrote:
Drucker wrote:Wouldn't it be really difficult to get the Waters' films on Blu-Ray because of music rights clearance?
It's my understanding that the only film that the music rights are a real issue with is Mondo Trasho. That said, I've been led to believe that it'll be near-impossible to get the proper music rights for that one again.
A Criterion release of 'Polyester' would be cool. They could include an Odorama card in the box. :)

warren oates

#1803 Post by warren oates » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 pm

giovannii84 wrote:A Criterion release of 'Polyester' would be cool. They could include an Odorama card in the box. :)
The New Line releases already do. I've still got mine.

Raymond Marble

#1804 Post by Raymond Marble » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:56 pm

warren oates wrote:
giovannii84 wrote:A Criterion release of 'Polyester' would be cool. They could include an Odorama card in the box. :)
The New Line releases already do. I've still got mine.
The Criterion laserdisc had an Odorama card, too. I have three or so floating around the house now, which seems funny.

Numero Trois

#1805 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

jwd5275 wrote:They would save face by not dumping them into the archive and allowing them to come out in great editions
I seriously doubt that Warner executives have the same definition of "saving face" that you do. Especially when it comes to films that only a tiny fraction of the population are interested in.

jwd5275

#1806 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:51 pm

I completely disagree. Despite the technical flaws in The Big Parade release, it did show that they are quite aware of thes significance of these films. The fact that they had Kevin Brownlow do their booklet for this release itself is a major clue. Warners Bros has always been quite self aware of its own history, hell, they even released a whole animated series riffing off it.

Gregory

#1807 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:52 pm

If so, they have a very odd way of showing it. They've routinely left films as important as The Big Parade out of circulation for far too long.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1808 Post by Drucker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:01 pm

I agree with Gregory. It doesn't matter how they view the prestige of their library if it doesn't translate to making it available to an audience. And considering the level of care given to Kane, Oz, and Casablanca, it is disheartening that they can't find a way to release other masterpieces in some way shape or form.

I don't expect a coffee table book sized boxset for, say, The Crowd, but they can't give it a stellar visual presentation with minimal extras and perhaps a slightly higher MSRP?

jwd5275

#1809 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:42 pm

I actually agree with you both. What I was responding to was only:
Numero Trois wrote:I seriously doubt that Warner executives have the same definition of "saving face" that you do. Especially when itcomes to films that only a tiny fraction of the population are interested in.
I do believe Warners does understand the importance of these films and this likely has led them to opt to not issue them at all rather than issue them on pressed discs that will lose money or dump them in the archive. It is not simply these won't make us money so we're not going to let them see the light of day. If so, these would have been dumped in the archive long ago. One option now would be make them available to stream, which they have already done for three of those five silents mentioned above. Another would be to license them out to Criterion which is how this whole discussion started.

movielocke

#1810 Post by movielocke » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I think they understand and respect their library, the archive alone has released over 2000 new to disc films, about 25% of their library of 8000 plus unreleased films, and all the widescreen releases at least have all gotten new masters made as a result, and a big chunk of the non widescreen release have had new masters made also.

regardless of whether or not a pressed fetish is satisfied at the consumer release level, in house WB is doing incredible asset management of their library by actively and aggressively making new masters. And they are also getting all these masters available for access as downloads and streaming. In terms of access to their library, WB has far outstripped everyone else in the market in terms of quality and quantity, it is pretty staggering what they have achieved.

sir_luke

#1811 Post by sir_luke » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Matt Zoller Seitz said today that he's writing a piece on Hiroshima Mon Amour. Possibly for an upcoming reissue?

Red Screamer

Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

#1812 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:59 pm

sir_luke wrote:Matt Zoller Seitz said today that he's writing a piece on Hiroshima Mon Amour. Possibly for an upcoming reissue?
I hope so. His Harold and Maude essay is one of my favorites in the Collection

ptatler

#1813 Post by ptatler » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Interesting podcast interview with Michael Koresky. He says another Eclipse set is ready to be announced soon.

sir_luke

#1814 Post by sir_luke » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Random question: Does anyone have an idea about what might happen to Valerie and Her Week of Wonders? Just recently watched it on Hulu+ and absolutely loved it... It looked a bit rough in places (and I have no authority or real knowledge whatsoever in this area) but with some restoration it could look gorgeous. I heard Kim say at the Wexner talk that the transfer on Hulu for an unreleased film is not necessarily the final one... Does anyone know if the existing elements are HD-ready? Also, do you think the film will be released in the mainline or will it be kept for a second Czech Eclipse set? Just curious.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1815 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:52 pm

It was originally tapped to be included in the third Czech New Wave Eclipse set. I don't believe the film has seen an HD release yet anywhere else.

sir_luke

#1816 Post by sir_luke » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:59 pm

swo17 wrote:It was originally tapped to be included in the third Czech New Wave Eclipse set. I don't believe the film has seen an HD release yet anywhere else.
Wow, I didn't know about those plans. Thanks for the info!

Cinephrenic

#1817 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:36 am

Third set? What was the second set?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1818 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:38 am

What A Disgrace

#1819 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 am

There hasn't been a decent Eclipse series in 2 years, so I'm hoping the next one will be something rad.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1820 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:42 am

Watch it be something wholly superfluous like a SD barebones version of Arrow's Stray Cat Rock set (they were hVe in the US...)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1821 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:54 am

What A Disgrace wrote:There hasn't been a decent Eclipse series in 2 years, so I'm hoping the next one will be something rad.
On balance, I'd say the Ray set is pretty decent, though I will concede that it probably isn't very rad.

EddieLarkin

#1822 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:05 am

I found When Horror Came to Shochiku both decent and rad. That one's only 23 months old!

solaris72

#1823 Post by solaris72 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 am

I'd love if they finally got to the second volume of the Rossellini history films...but I think last we heard there were arcane rights issues that seemed unlikely to unravel.

Mouse

#1824 Post by Mouse » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Well criterion just announced their compilation book of cover artwork. Explains the recent post on their instagram page with the grand illusion cover titled "work".

MoonlitKnight

#1825 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Anderson's "O Lucky Man!" would be another Warner title I'd love to see get the Criterion treatment.