BD 72 Jerzy Skolimowski: Walkover, Barrier & Dialogue 20 40 60 + Short Films

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
MichaelB

BD 72 Jerzy Skolimowski: Walkover, Barrier & Dialogue 20 40 60 + Short Films

#1 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:02 am

Announced in Second Run's ad in the Kinoteka programme - one of two confirmed Jerzy Skolimowski releases announced for 2009 along with Hands Up! (Ręce do góry, 1967/81)

No idea about extras etc, but Second Run is well aware of the Polish release's shortcomings in the subtitle department - so even if they're forced to use the same transfer, it should still be a substantial improvement.

zedz

Re: Barrier (Bariera)

#2 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:45 pm

This is a fantastic film - one of my best discoveries of last year. I'm hoping a lot of other people will be blown away by it too.

Doug Cummings

#3 Post by Doug Cummings » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 pm

I just ordered the Polish DVD, but I'm ecstatic that SR will be releasing this. I've recently heard a lot of praise for the film; it seems a likely candidate for critical revival.

Cronenfly

#4 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:08 am

Carrying over from the Skolimowski thread, I must thank you, Michael, for dropping the hint about these releases so as to save me from buying the Polish set; as much as I want to see the films, I'm happy to wait a bit longer for Second Run to work their magic, even if only on the subs (fingers crossed for those other two titles as well).

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 am

I finally caught up with this over the weekend - in a word: wow.

From its advance reputation, I was expecting something rather more overtly Godardian, but it actually seems far more indebted to Fellini's 8 1/2 in its bizarre, often jarring flights of surrealistic fancy. But in fact Skolimowski was so sui generis by this stage in his career that comparisons really don't help much except in terms of persuading people that they absolutely have to see this - it's right up there with the very best of the Czech and French New Waves.

Superficially, it's an individual-against-the-conformist-system allegory of a kind that's not especially new even in Polish cinema, but Skolimowski's treatment is so off-kilter and quick-witted that it's impossible to predict where each successive scene is going to end up. The opening sequence is a case in point, where extreme close-ups of bound hands and collapsing bodies suggest some kind of mass execution, though in fact the truth is far more complicated.

I was particularly impressed with Krzysztof Komeda's score, which ran the gamut from Polish jazz to intricate choral figurations reminiscent of his Czech counterpart Zdeněk Liška to avant-garde string arrangements that sounded closer to Penderecki or Ligeti - in fact, those eerie crowd scenes triggered all sorts of associations from 2001: A Space Odyssey to Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice, though Skolimowski predated them all.

I talked to Second Run last week, and they confirmed that they're going to be pulling out all the (financially/logistically feasible) stops to try to get a better master than the dreadful VHS-quality one on the Polish DVD - sadly, the best film in that box gets easily the worst transfer. Clearly, this may not be possible - if an unsubtitled print in pristine condition can't be tracked down or the original negative can't be accessed (assuming it survives at all), they may be stuck with the Polish master, but at least the subtitles should be cleaned up substantially.

charal

#6 Post by charal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:28 pm

The version screened on Oz TV c. 1992 is watchable but the contrast is aggressive in terms of darks. Michael I assume the other two Skolimowski's from this 'series' will be released by SR as well. Can you confirm in any way? This seems logical somehow but no speculation has been advanced within this site to date.

ryan11

#7 Post by ryan11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

I don't know if this has been covered on this site, but there is a forthcoming retrospective in Melbourne, in July.

It lists the following for Barrier:

'35mm print courtesy of Filmoteka Narodowa.'

menthymenthy

#8 Post by menthymenthy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:27 am

The print that just screened in Melbourne looked fantastic. Compared to the DVD release, it's infinitely finer.

Also, the subtitles were nearly flawless. I see no reason SR can't use this print, despite the burnt in subs.
Last edited by menthymenthy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:54 am

dmk_world wrote:I see no reason SR can't use this print, despite the burnt in subs.
As a general rule of thumb, theatrical prints should be avoided as sources for DVD mastering, as the contrast is generally too high. Also, burned-in subs intended for theatrical projection are usually too small for comfortable small-screen viewing, as demonstrated by many of Tartan's early DVD releases.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#10 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 am

For those of us impatient for this release we can find consolation grooving along to Komeda's soundtrack here (alongside Le Départ)
http://www.moviegrooves.com/latest-1960 ... da-cd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

multivitamin

#11 Post by multivitamin » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

such a beautiful soundtrack. pure komeda's magic

for those who are waiting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXN8rlprB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otis

#12 Post by otis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Does anyone know if there's still any chance of Second Run bringing this (or any other of Skolimowski's films) out?

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:49 pm

They're still waiting on decent materials, as far as I'm aware.

otis

#14 Post by otis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks, Michael. I won't hold my breath, but it would be great if they could finally bring this out - or any other of his 60s films.

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:08 pm

In the meantime, the Polish Skolimowski set that contains this film is essential, even taking into account the crappy transfers.

otis

#16 Post by otis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Any suggestions where's the best place to buy it online? Merlin (which Michael has recommended elsewhere) no longer has it in stock. I found it at http://www.punkt44.pl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they won't let me open an account because my UK postcode doesn't fit the Polish format ](*,)

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 pm

I can't help there, I'm afraid, as I got it from Merlin. And my only experience with empik was disastrous.

Somebody's selling it on amazon.uk. I'm pretty sure their price (24 pounds) is more than the going rate direct from Poland, but that's still pretty reasonable. Especially considering that another seller has it at 45!

charal

#18 Post by charal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:34 pm

I bought the 4 disc set from a seller on Amazon but I can confirm (as mentioned in the Polish thread) that the transfer of BARRIER is very poor. I have a VHS copy from Oz TV which actually looks better. The other films in this set are passable.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#19 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:09 am

otis wrote:Any suggestions where's the best place to buy it online? Merlin (which Michael has recommended elsewhere) no longer has it in stock. I found it at http://www.punkt44.pl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they won't let me open an account because my UK postcode doesn't fit the Polish format ](*,)
If your french is as good as your avatar's there's always the malavida edition with french subs for 13 euros

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 am

The French subtitles might well be better - Skolimowski was very unhappy indeed with the English subtitles.

otis

#21 Post by otis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks for the help - I hadn't thought to look on Amazon. I think I'll go for the French editions Nabob mentions, actually. I see from the reviews on dvdclassik that Rysopis includes Skolimowski's early shorts, and Hands Up! has both the 1967 and 1981 versions. It's such a shame these aren't all available in decent English-language editions. I saw Walkower the other night and it blew me away. Can't wait to see the others.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 am

There are English fansubs from Bariera available from the usual outlets - almost certainly ripped from the Polish DVD (i.e. crap), but if the Malavida disc has a superior transfer it shouldn't be too hard to cobble together a better viewing copy.

multivitamin

#23 Post by multivitamin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:01 am

MichaelB wrote:There are English fansubs from Bariera available from the usual outlets - almost certainly ripped from the Polish DVD (i.e. crap), but if the Malavida disc has a superior transfer it shouldn't be too hard to cobble together a better viewing copy.
I can confirm that Malavida's treatment of "Bariera" is simply tip-top. I'd even recommend it those who don't understand Polish or French, just for the visual beauty of it, just to acknowledge how visionary and daring Skolimowski was circa 1966-68 ("Bariera", "Hands Up" & "Le depart" - the pinnacle of his career imo). Not to mention that eerie, halcyon Komeda's soundtrack that could be the icing on the cake.

otis

#24 Post by otis » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:15 am

I've ordered his four first films (Rysopsis, Walkower, Bariera, Hands Up!) direct from Malavida, and am awaiting delivery. For anyone in London who wants the Polish boxset, I was at the BFI yesterday and saw that they have a few copies in the shop for £27.99.

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 am

otis wrote:I've ordered his four first films (Rysopsis, Walkower, Bariera, Hands Up!) direct from Malavida, and am awaiting delivery. For anyone in London who wants the Polish boxset, I was at the BFI yesterday and saw that they have a few copies in the shop for £27.99.
...or about twice the price you'd pay in Poland.