30 Partition

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

#1 Post by Bikey » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:39 am

Partition

The tumultuous events surrounding the sub-continent's partition in 1947 into India and Pakistan are re-imagined in Ken McMullen's complex and visually striking film.

A lunatic asylum in the city of Lahore becomes a mirror image of events in the outside political world, with the same actors playing both inmates and rulers. Adapted by Tariq Ali and McMullen from famous Urdu writer Saadat Hasan Manto's short story ‘Toba Tek Singh', Partition speaks for the countless millions that the usual British Raj films sweep out of sight.

Released to mark the 60th anniversary of the partition of the Indian sub-continent, this is the film's first-ever release on DVD.

Special Features

• Audio commentary by director Ken McMullen and writer Tariq Ali.
• ‘A Rebellious Soul' – a documentary on Saadat Hasan Manto and the story behind Partition.
• Newly filmed interview with writer Tariq Ali.
• Newly filmed conversations with actors Saeed Jaffrey and Roshan Seth.
• Production designer Paul Cheetham discusses the visual architecture of the film.
• French subtitles On/Off.
• Optimal quality dual layer disc.
• Booklet features a reprint of Sadaat Hasan Manto's short story ‘Toba Tek Singh' and Ken McMullen in conversation with James Leahy.

Second Run is teaming up with MovieMail for a limited period, to release Ken McMullen's Partition.

We are very happy to be working with MovieMail, who have championed independent and world cinema, as well as offering an excellent platform for films that have long deserved serious attention.

Partition

A film by Ken McMullen
UK / 1987
Second Run DVD 030

Second Run has teamed up with MovieMail to release Partition, in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the partition of the Indian sub-continent.

“The films of Ken McMullen are some of the most intellectually rigorous and cinematically sophisticated that have ever been produced in this countryâ€

meanwhile

#2 Post by meanwhile » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 am

Bikey

#3 Post by Bikey » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:12 am

Partition screening and interview with Director Ken McMulllen

There will be a special screening of Ken McMullen's Partition on Sunday 12th August at the Renoir cinema, Brunswick Square, London.

Screening Details:
Sunday 12th August, 12pm – PARTITION (78 minutes)

The Renoir
Brunswick Square
London WC1N 1AW
www.curzoncinemas.com
Box Office: 08708 506 927

Bikey

#4 Post by Bikey » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:21 am

PARTITION is No1 Critics Choice in this week's Time Out London

The screening of PARTITION this Sunday at the Renoir cinema (details above) has been chosen at the top critics choice in Time Out this week. That's a wonderful boost for a rarely screened film and follows our TO Critic's choice (and - believe it or not - London Lite) last week for the double bill of Third Part of the Night/Interrogation at the Riverside.

If any of you are in London this weekend please come along and make yourselves know to us.

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:43 am

Interested. But.

Will this ever be made available outside of Moviemail?

Bikey

#6 Post by Bikey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:54 am

Partition will be eventually available from secondrundvd.com and other sites.

We saw the release of Partition as a great opportunity to team up with MovieMail, who have long been supporters of world and independent film. The film will be exclusively available via the MovieMail website for approximately three months.

Do you prefer a specific site through which to order your films?

What A Disgrace

#7 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:10 am

Sounds good to me. I eagerly look forward to this release...it sounds fascinating.

I usually prefer to order through Amazon's UK division.

meanwhile

#8 Post by meanwhile » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:46 am

rs98762001

#9 Post by rs98762001 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Sounds great. This is why I find Second Run so valuable. I'm really looking forward to investigating a film I'd previously known absolutely nothing about.

Does anyone know if this was originally a theatrical or television movie? Bearing in mind the 1:33 aspect ratio, I am guessing the latter.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:02 pm

It was made by Bandung Productions for Channel Four, which screened it exactly 20 years ago (to the day). So I think you can safely assume that 4:3 mono was the original format!

colinr0380

#11 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:37 pm

It does sound good. It is a little sad that Channel 4 don't seem to be doing much to mark the 60th anniversay of Indian independence and partition this year (though the BBC are picking up the slack with a number of documentaries, including an interesting six part series called The Story of India by Michael Wood).

Channel 4 did a fantastic job of the 50th anniversary and the film commissioned in 1997 was Train To Pakistan. I also remember seeing perhaps the best film made about partition, Scorching Winds in the same season. Hopefully that film might also get some sort of DVD release in the future.

What A Disgrace

#12 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:10 pm

I never would have guessed that this release would be SR's most feature packed yet.

I am definitely getting it when it has a general release.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:13 pm

What have you got against MovieMail?

What A Disgrace

#14 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:What have you got against MovieMail?
Nothing, but Amazon's prices on SR discs tend to be cheaper; especially considering that Amazon takes VAT charges off.

And my budget for the next three months is well over my original intentions as it is.

Bikey

#15 Post by Bikey » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:54 am

Here's the review on DVD Beaver.

Full detailed DVD specs and information on PARTITION, are now up at our website.

Bikey

#16 Post by Bikey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:44 am

Reviews of Partition

It's great to see Partition receiving the intelligent reviews a film as complex as it is deserves. Here's the DVD Times response.

The Sunday Telegraph referred to the film as 'brief, elegant and meditative', though acknowledging what they saw as the 'faint whiff of political re-education in the sometimes didactic dialogue'.

Meanwhile, the Guardian Guide called the film an 'extraordinary India-Pakistan drama'.

Time Out London highlighted the experimental photography and prevalence of symbolism, recalling for the reviewer performance art or theatre. Ultimately, the emotional impact of partition is 'vividly evoked'.

Bikey

#17 Post by Bikey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 am

MOVIEMAIL PODCAST ON PARTITION

Here's the link to the MovieMail podcast about Partition:

What A Disgrace

#18 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:33 pm

Amazon UK has a release date of 1/21/08 for this release, at the usual Second Run price.

M

#19 Post by M » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:17 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Amazon UK has a release date of 1/21/08 for this release, at the usual Second Run price.
Why is the film showing as currently unavailable on Amazon the weekend before its release on the site?

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:43 am

M wrote:Why is the film showing as currently unavailable on Amazon the weekend before its release on the site?
Because Amazon's system periodically goes mental.

Seriously, I wouldn't read anything into this at all, unless you encounter something similar elsewhere.

M

#21 Post by M » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:29 pm

MichaelB wrote:
M wrote:Why is the film showing as currently unavailable on Amazon the weekend before its release on the site?
Because Amazon's system periodically goes mental.

Seriously, I wouldn't read anything into this at all, unless you encounter something similar elsewhere.
I see. I can't say I've experienced that before. That's okay with me if they want to call it 'unavailable'. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Whoop. There we go. Back to normal, available once more. For a great introductory price too.