Announcements from Second Run

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

#26 Post by Bikey » Tue May 23, 2006 5:54 am

The next Second Run screening will take place on Tuesday 13th June.

The film screened will be Ivan Passers 'Intimate Lighting'.

" One of the ten films that have affected me most." - Krzystof Kieslowski

" Intimate Lighting is one of the best European films of the 1960's" - Roger Ebert

This wonderfully subtle comedy of provincial life is the debut film of a great director and one of the signature works of the Czech New Wave. Ivan Passer's film concerns the dreams of two musician friends, one of whom, having left their small hometown to become a successful, returns to visit the other who stayed behind to become a local music teacher.

Focussing on the humour of the ordinary and routine and stunningly shot by Miroslav Ondricek, the film shows true affection and understanding for all its characters to become that very rare thing in comedy – a work of great originality and universal acceptance.

Date: Tuesday June 13th
Time: 8pm
Free entry.
Directions are on the Fleapit website.

The Flea Pit
Columbia Road
London E2 7RG
0207 033 9986

Bikey

#27 Post by Bikey » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:41 pm

Dear All,

We have lately read posts on the Forum from people worrying about the reasons for the recent gap in our releases. We are touched by your concern and continued interest in what we are trying to achieve.

Can we use this opportunity to put your minds at rest. A year into our life now, Second Run is well on its way to being a long term business. We have no intention of going anywhere and want to develop a reputation for releasing DVDs of important films with the love and attention they deserve, at an affordable price, and to continue doing that right into the foreseeable future.

The way we do things means there will not always be 4 or 5 releases ready to go, that can be dropped into our schedule at a moment's notice if we have a problem with one of the DVDs. As it was, we had problems and issues with both Passenger and Knights of The Teutonic Order, which then led to a gap appearing in our release schedule and which we thought we might be able to overcome quicker than we actually did. Believe me, this is even more frustrating for us than it is for you.

Passenger is now being released on 25th September, Knights of the Teutonic Order is scheduled for October 16th and we're delighted to also present our third Karoly Makk film 'A Long Weekend in Pest & Buda' in mid-November.

A further new release, the 2005 documentary film "Avenge But One Of My Two Eyes" by Israeli film maker Avi Mograbi, is scheduled for November 13th. We feel that this is a very important film and more details on it will follow shortly.

Our next releases will then be in 2007. There is no point in us trying to rush release anything after mid November - we would simply get lost in the Christmas bunfight for retail and media space.

Those titles already trailed on the Forum (Vlacil's ' Marketa Lazarova' and Nemec's 'The Party & the Guests') are being worked on for release in the first quarter of next year, alongside the first of two more films from Miklos Jancso. And I'm very excited to tell you that Andrzej Zulawski's 'Third Part of The Night' is also being prepared for its DVD debut.

As a teaser, I can also announce that 2007 will see our first releases from India and Russia.

We hope to continue to surprise you and to broaden the depth of our catalogue throughout the coming year by releasing films every month. However, as I said before, that can be derailed by any number of unforseen issues with materials, etc and there will be occasional unavoidable delays. We will always do our best to keep you informed.

So, as you can see, behind the scenes we are very busy trying to bring you an exciting and eclectic range of films. We hope that we can continue to count on your support.

Second Run DVD

godardslave

#28 Post by godardslave » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:19 pm

you can certainly count on my support, and thanks for your very informative post!

Hope all goes well for you in the coming months and beyond. =D>

What A Disgrace

#29 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm particularly excited and in suspense about what Indian title/s you'll be releasing. Having seen four Ray (Apu trilogy, Abhijaan) and one Ghattak (Cloud Capped Star)...and they're among the most beautiful films I've ever seen. I'd like to see a few films by Mrinal Sen or Shyam Benegal...I'll just wait and see.

I'll end up buying whatever films you release, so commenting further would be a bit useless. Makk and Jancso are heavily anticipated.

EDIT: Play.com has the Israeli film up for pre-order already, and it will include an interview with the director.

rs98762001

#30 Post by rs98762001 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:11 pm

Great to hear, Bikey. Still awaiting the MARKETA disc most fervently, and it's exciting that another Makk is in the pipeline after your incredible presentations of LOVE and ANOTHER WAY.

alfons416

#31 Post by alfons416 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:00 am

nice to hear that!

i guess there's nothing certain yet but it doesnät hurt to ask...

Whats up with Jancsó? when can we expect more films on SR? is there good reasons to wait for your releases instead of buying Clavis-films dvds?

jbeall

#32 Post by jbeall » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:51 am

Will Second Run dvds be available in region 1 format, or are they strictly region 2?

These are some wonderful titles!

Ovader

#33 Post by Ovader » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am

Yes they are wonderful titles and this proves that you should get a region-free DVD player. I bought a Region 1 Player and "hacked it" using the codes provided from Videohelp and now I can play all regions. I can't guarantee that you can find a suitable code for your individual player from that site though.

jbeall

#34 Post by jbeall » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:10 am

Ovader wrote:
jbeall wrote:Will Second Run dvds be available in region 1 format, or are they strictly region 2?

These are some wonderful titles!
Yes they are wonderful titles and this proves that you should get a region-free DVD player. I bought a Region 1 Player and "hacked it" using the codes provided from Videohelp and now I can play all regions. I can't guarantee that you can find a suitable code for your individual player from that site though.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, nobody's found the code for my dvd player, so I suspect the next step is to invest in a region-free dvd player.

BTW, I emailed second run with a query regarding titles, and they responded within an hour!

polecat

#35 Post by polecat » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:59 am

Bikey, is there any chance of finding anything by Zanussi among your future releases?

Bikey

#36 Post by Bikey » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:16 am

Polecat,

There are a number of Zanussi films on our want list. If we do manage to secure them it will be announced here first.

Bikey.

polecat

#37 Post by polecat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:29 pm

That's terrific, Bikey, thanks!

polecat

#38 Post by polecat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:30 pm

May I suggest going after his shorts, among others? As bonus features, perhaps? There are a few masterpieces among them, and several near-masterpieces.

Bikey

#39 Post by Bikey » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:12 pm

The next Second Run screening will take place on Tuesday 10th October.

We will be screening Ron Peck's autobiographical documentary 'Strip Jack Naked'. Ron Peck will be in attendance to introduce and discuss the film.

Strip Jack Naked is a companion piece to Ron Peck and Paul Hallam's ground-breaking film Nighthawks. An autobiographical film, it tells not only of the struggle to make Nighthawks but also of the director's life as a gay man growing up in late-20th century Britain.
A shadowy, impressionistic work, the film blends clips, memorabilia and photographs into a moody and heartfelt chronicle that changes in tone from personal memoir into a generalized history of the gay movement. Not only a lucid account of the responsibilities of a gay filmmaker, Strip Jack Naked is one of the most honest and abrasive British biographies ever made.

More about the film can be found on our website

Screening Details:
Tuesday 10th October
Free Entry
Film starts at 8pm

Venue:

The Fleapit
49 Columbia Road
London E2 7RG
0207 033 9986

Bikey

#40 Post by Bikey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I thought I should start a thread to keep you informed of any theatrical screenings of Second Run releases. We may be involved with some of them but the bulk will be happening independently from us. Obviously due to our location these will be UK biased I'm afraid.

So to start:

The Barbican, London is running a Remembering Hungary '56 season in conjunction with the Hungarian Cultural Center. It starts today and includes screenings of:

The Round Up (Szegenylegenyek)
October 7th - 18:00 - Cinema 3

Love (Szerelem)
October 9th - 18:30 - Cinema 3

Also screened will be Freedom's Fury, The Midas Touch, Father and Twenty Hours.

tavernier

#41 Post by tavernier » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Bikey wrote:Obviously due to our location these will be UK biased I'm afraid.
Damn, I hate those UK biases!

Gropius

#42 Post by Gropius » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:54 pm

I'll just reiterate my point on this thread (having mentioned it on the Clavis one) that the (digi-blurred) screening of The Round-Up was extremely disappointing, like the sort of thing used in advertisements to warn against video piracy.

This was a shame coming after Fábri's Twenty Hours, the print of which was in fairly good shape. First Fábri I'd seen: serious, unshowy social realist type affair, albeit with a vaguely confusing flashback structure. Unlike, say, Godard's Parisian posturings (brilliant as they are), here were people dealing with the real problems of transition from an essentially feudal village culture into co-operative land ownership etc. Any chance of Fábri stuff making it to Second Run? Could be a harder sell than Jancsó. I'd also have liked to have made it to Szabó's Father today, but couldn't face commuting to the Barbican two days in a row.

Got handed the latest Second Run flyer on the way out, promising The Round-Up (hopefully in widescreen rather than the pan'n'scan in the cinema) and Mészáros's Diary for My Children coming in 2007. Continuing to smuggle the goods back across the Iron Curtain.

Bikey

#43 Post by Bikey » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Avenge But One Of My Two Eyes will be screening on:

Sunday November 5th @ 12:00pm
@ Curzon Soho, 99 Shaftesbury Avenue, London W1
Tickets: 08707 564 620

and

Sunday November 6th @ 6.30pm
@ Cine Lumiere, 17 Queensbury Place, London SW7
Tickets: 0207 073 1350

The Lumiere screening will be as part of their Reel to Reel season.

Director Avi Mograbi will attend both screenings.

Bikey

#44 Post by Bikey » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:08 am

I almost forgot to mention - Intimate Lighting will be screening at the Riverside Cinema in Hammersmith, London at 6.30pm on Saturday 11th September as part of their Miroslav Ondricek season. Part of a double bill with Lindsay Anderson's IF. The panel for the Q & A afterwards will include Ondricek and Stephen Frears.

For only £6.50. A bargain.

rs98762001

#45 Post by rs98762001 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:19 pm

Sounds like a great event, but I'm sure you mean Saturday 11th November, not September, right Bikey?

Bikey

#46 Post by Bikey » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:05 pm

Ah yes - well spotted. Apologies. It's been a long week...

zedz

#47 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Coming Soon page updated, including confirmation of the second and third Janscos, a few titles we already know about, and a couple I've never heard of which sound exciting. Plus there are some more indications of future titles within the text.

stepps

#48 Post by stepps » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:12 pm

well... only four of the six are buy sight unseen and unchecked :)

What A Disgrace

#49 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:20 pm

I'm down for all of these.

Palms has me particularly curious, though. Has anyone seen this film?

rs98762001

#50 Post by rs98762001 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:43 pm

Sounds like a great line-up of films. I am particularly looking forward to RAT TRAP. I must admit I've never heard of the film or the director, but anyone viewed as Ray's true heir is good enough reason to be excited.

Now let's just hope Second Run will be using the new, cleaned-up 2.35:1 print for their MARKETA.