22 Avenge But One of My Two Eyes

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

22 Avenge But One of My Two Eyes

#1 Post by Bikey » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:39 pm

Avenge But One Of My Two Eyes

Shot in the Occupied Territories by Israeli director Avi Mograbi, this controversial documentary film draws parallels between the Israeli - Palestinian situation today and the enduring myths of Samson and Masada. Mograbi offers a powerful, at times chilling, lament of the continuing cycles of violence rooted in the past and threatening to engulf everyone's future. With the roots of so much real-world conflict left unexamined by today's restless media, this film reminds us just how vital filmmakers like Avi Mograbi are.

Documentary today is rarely immersed in questions of this magnitude - or tackles them with the level of eloquence shown here by Mograbi. An exceptional and challenging film.

Special Features

• Newly filmed interview with director Avi Mograbi.
• New digital transfer approved by the Director.
• Anamorphic 16:9 enhanced for widescreen televisions.
• Subtitled in English and Arabic.
• Optimal quality dual-layer disc.
• Booklet featuring a new Essay by author/critic Mark Cousins.

Avenge But One Of My Two Eyes (Nekam Achat Mishtey Eynay)
A film by Avi Mograbi
Israel-France / 2005
Second Run DVD 022

“ ... a powerful and stirring document" - The Hollywood Reporter

Shot in Palestine and Israel by Israeli director Avi Mograbi this controversial documentary parallels the Israeli - Palestinian situation with the myths of Samson and Massada. Mograbi offers a powerful, at times chilling, lament of the continuing cycles of violence rooted in the past and threatening to completely engulf everyone's future. A believer in the power of dialogue Mograbi is passionate in his desire to see an end to bloodshed.

Extras will include an interview with Avi Mograbi.

Scheduled for 13th November.

Bikey

#2 Post by Bikey » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 am

Don Lope de Aguirre

#3 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:26 pm

The second clip is a little disturbing...

:shock:

I'm surprised I didn't see George Bush Jr there...

Lemmy Caution

#4 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:33 pm

oops, mistake.

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:42 pm

Here is a review of the film from the Strictly Film School website.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:05 pm

anton_es

#7 Post by anton_es » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:29 pm

i have seen this documentary on last year's viennale (filmfestival vienna) and was really, really touched and impressed. the director attended the screening, the cinema was surrounded by an right-wing jewish organization handling out pamphlets, you had arguments between them and a group of young arabs, shout-outs during the screening and a VERY heated discussion afterwards. all this shows that this conflict is being continued/intensified all over the world.

anyway, the director has some strong points and cleverly shows the everyday opression and hostility on both sides, well, like i always said: this all has nothin to do with "real" religion, just power and politics. power on a personal, a national and further on a belief-level.

organized religion is the devil

Don Lope de Aguirre

#8 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:21 pm

BTW

This is being shown on Sunday 5th Nov at the Curzon in London. A director Q&A session follows...

Bikey

#9 Post by Bikey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:58 am

Screening at the Curzon is at midday on Sunday.

There is also a screening on Monday 6th followed by a Q & A with the director at Cine Lumiere at Institut Francais. It is as part of their Real to Reel series.

We will be at both screenings. Do come along and introduce yourselves.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#10 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:48 pm

the cinema was surrounded by an right-wing jewish organization handling out pamphlets, you had arguments between them and a group of young arabs, shout-outs during the screening and a VERY heated discussion afterwards.
I was expecting/secretly hoping for something equally dramatic at the Curzon showing but it was a very civilised and very well attended affair. The film itself is interesting. I have to admit, though, that I was expecting a bit more. It has its moments and the use of the Samson and Massada myths to show certain people's (unwitting) hypocrisy is highly intelligent and commendable. Overall, though, I was left wanting considerably more and couldn't help feeling that this topic has been dealt with more substantially elsewhere, for example (more conventionally thought no less brilliant for this) John Pilger's 'Palestine is Still The Issue'...

Bikey

#11 Post by Bikey » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am

Don Lope - thanks for coming down. Gald you enjoyed it.

You should have introduced yourself. We are curious to see what the people on this forum look like...

Don Lope de Aguirre

#12 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:20 pm

:lol:

I'll definitely be attending more screenings in future as I enjoyed myself and was impressed by the remarkable turnout for such a little known film.

I'll make sure I introduce myself next time, hopefully, after the screenings of your upcoming Jancsos in suitably pristine prints!

8-)

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 am

But won't it be obvious? You'll be the one dressed in full armour surrounded by a load of monkeys.

Frankly, I'm surprised Bikey didn't spot you, but I suspect his mind was on other things.

Bikey

#14 Post by Bikey » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 am

Oh that guy. I thought he was an extra from Spamalot who had popped in for a beer in between performances.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#15 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:30 am

Were you the guy with a handlebar moustache wearing pedal pushers who kept ringing that bell all the time ????

Bikey

#16 Post by Bikey » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:21 am

The very same. Though I think you'll find those 'pedal pushers' were a pair of bleeding edge designer cycling trousers.

anton_es

#17 Post by anton_es » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:
the cinema was surrounded by an right-wing jewish organization handling out pamphlets, you had arguments between them and a group of young arabs, shout-outs during the screening and a VERY heated discussion afterwards.
I was expecting/secretly hoping for something equally dramatic at the Curzon showing but it was a very civilised and very well attended affair. The film itself is interesting. I have to admit, though, that I was expecting a bit more. It has its moments and the use of the Samson and Massada myths to show certain people's (unwitting) hypocrisy is highly intelligent and commendable. Overall, though, I was left wanting considerably more and couldn't help feeling that this topic has been dealt with more substantially elsewhere, for example (more conventionally thought no less brilliant for this) John Pilger's 'Palestine is Still The Issue'...
well, it was one of these occasions where people just hear about an documentary showin growin injustice, humiliation of civilians and brutalization of soldiers in the jewish-palastinian conflict, not EVEN havin seen the movie (it was an premiere) and havin all kinds of prefabricated opinion about the movie so they can even print out these "info-sheets" condeming the movie. reminded me when my mother told me about the first screening of Scorsese's last temptation in the inner city of vienna. rows of praying mindless so-called-chosen christians either parading infront of the cinema and hindering vistors or downright agressive ones who attacked people comin out of the cinema. the documentary has certainly an very subjective approach to the conflict but it does not condemn the israeli intentions, it just shows the old problem of 2 people fightin each other not knowin anymore who started what because a few generations already died in the conflict and the remaining relatives already scarred by war are not in an objective position anymore.

if their certain religion is truly the only right and just one like those people (no matter what confession) love to allege then WHY is it this religion needs those people to actually enforce it by violence? i was raised christian and I certainly need no one protectin my beliefs from the muslims, hindus, buddhists, whatever. my god does not explode or start to cry if I use a condom or some priest somewhere marries a woman or muslims pray to allah in a mosque.

well, at least i can thank those fanatics that they reminded me of that.

Bikey

#18 Post by Bikey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:11 am

Bikey

#19 Post by Bikey » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:33 am

Second Run Tuesdays – Free Film Night 10th July

Our next free film night takes place on Tuesday 10th July, at our usual venue:
The Fleapit, Columbia Road, London E2.

On that Tuesday we will be screening Avi Mograbi's remarkable documentary, AVENGE BUT ONE OF MY TWO EYES (NEKAM ACHAT MISHTEY EYNAY)

"Avenge but One of My Two Eyes is one of the great essayistic films of modern times" – Mark Cousins

"Documentary today should be constantly immersed in questions of this magnitude and always ready to tackle them with his astounding level of eloquence—anything less is a waste"
– Reverse Shot

Shot in the occupied territories, Avi Mograbi's controversial documentary film draws parallels between the Palestinian/Israeli situation today and the enduring myths of Samson and Masada. The film is a powerful and frequently chilling lament of the continuing cycles of violence rooted in the past and threatening to engulf everyone's future. With the roots of so much real-world conflict left unexamined by today's restless media, this film reminds us just how vital filmmakers like Avi Mograbi are.

Screening Details:
Tuesday 10th July – Avenge but One of My Two Eyes (100 minutes)
Free entry (please buy a drink at the bar)
Film starts at 8pm

The Fleapit
49 Columbia Road
London E2 7RG

http://www.thefleapit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0207 033 9986

Bikey

#20 Post by Bikey » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:07 am

There's a screening of Avi Mograbi's August this Sunday at the Contemporary Art Platform in North London. Well worth going if you've not seen it. It's one of Avi's more reflexive and humorous films yet all the time offering a critique of the Palestine/Israel situation.

AUGUST
by AVI MOGRABI

Sunday 19th August, 17.00

As part of RECOGNISE, there will be a drink reception with a special screening of Avi Mograbi's remarkable documentary film AUGUST on Sunday 19th August 2007 at the Contemporary Art Platform.
Introduced by Predrag Pajdic

AVI MOGRABI
AUGUST - a moment before the eruption
72 minutes, 2002

Peace Film Award - Berlin International Film Festival 2002

Avi Mograbi believes that the month of August serves as a metaphor for whatever is hateful in the state of Israel. His wife, on the other hand, is rather fond of August, which represents to her all that is optimistic. And indeed, the filmmaker goes out to the street, and on one hand loses control over what is captured by his camera. Yet, on the other hand, he miraculously tells, by his failure to accomplish his mission and document what he was after, that very story, though in a totally different way from what he planned and without being aware of it at all. At the same time, in his home, his wife is taken captive by the producer of another film. This filmmaker is involved with a film concerning the massacre of tens of praying Moslem prayers by an Israeli physician in the cave of Machpela in the occupied town of Hebron in 1994. All three characters - the filmmaker, the filmmaker's wife and the producer – are played by one person: Avi Mograbi. “The idea behind August was very similar to the one proposed in the film by the filmmaker's wife: to make a film that would consist solely of violence, bickering, and anger. Just that. This is Israel, wherever you go, everything is fraught with violence.“ Avi Mograbi

Contemporary Art Platform,
1 Thane Villas, London N7 7PH
077 344 340 66
Sunday 19th August at 5pm
Admission is free but places are limited so please RSVP to Predrag Pajdic on p.pajdic@mac.com

Bikey

#21 Post by Bikey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:16 am

AVENGE BUT ONE OF MY TWO EYES SCREENING ON SUNDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER

There will be a special screening of Avi Mograbi's AVENGE BUT ONE OF MY TWO EYES at 4pm on Sunday 2nd September at Contemporary Art Platform. It is screening as part of IN FOCUS, an ongoing project with international artists, whose work refers to the Middle East from their own cultural, social, historical and political contexts.

Contemporary Art Platform, 1 Thane Villas London N7 7PH

Free admission

Opening hours: Wednesday - Sunday, 13.00 - 19.00
Tube: Finsbury Park (Victoria & Piccadilly lines)
Buses: 4, 19, 29, 153, 253, 254, 259

For full details please go here..

Bikey

Re: 22 Avenge But One Of My Two Eyes

#22 Post by Bikey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:44 am

Screening of director Avi Mograbi's feature: Z32 Tuesday 3rd March at the University of East London (Docklands Campus) with director Avi Mograbi in attendance.

Followed by panel discussion with Professor Haim Bresheeth, Eyal Sivan, Yosefa Loshitzky and Avi Mograbi

Time: 16:30 pm – 19:00 pm

Matrix East Research Lab EB 1.37 - UEL

All welcome

Z32 (80mins) is a feature-length musical documentary. A tragedy about an Israeli ex-soldier who testifies to the camera about participating in covert Palestinian revenge operations. Meanwhile, the filmmaker who keeps looking for ways to conceal the soldier's identity, questions his own political and artistic conduct.

How to get there:
To get to the UEL Docklands Campus, take the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) From Bank station, changing at Westferry or Canning Town, to a train bound for Beckton, then alight at Cyprus. The station is on campus, and the East building is on your left as you come from the station into the university.

Bikey

#23 Post by Bikey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 am

Open City Documentary Festival at UCL screen Avi Mograbi's film Z32 on Wednesday 25th January at 6.30pm - followed by a Skype Q&A with Avi Mograbi and Second Run DVDs Mehelli Modi.

Z32 is a documentary built around the confession of a young Israeli soldier who participated in a pair of revenge killings against Palestinian police. Mograbi presents the confession with a series of distancing effects and the filmmaker questions his own political and artistic conduct. The radical elements of Mograbi’s project combine to raise painful and unsettling questions about responsibility, forgiveness and the shape of cinematic truth.

How to get there:
Enter UCL/Malet Place through the iron gates on Torrington Place. (opposite Waterstones on the corner of Torrington Place/Gower St). Walk all the way down Malet Place, through the arch taking you under the building and come into South Quad (otherwise known as South Junction). Go up the double iron stairs case going over the arch you just walked through, to enter the building – the AV Hill Lecture Theatre is on the second floor.

Wednesday January 25th, 18:30 at AV Hill Theatre, UCL (University College London), Torrington Place, London WC1E 7HB.

Bikey

#24 Post by Bikey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:54 am

OPEN CITY DOCS present a special screening of Avi Mograbi's ONCE I ENTERED A GARDEN + Q&A with the director
31st March 2014, 6.20pm (18:20) at Clapham Picturehouse, London SW4 0AT

Bikey

#25 Post by Bikey » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 am

Acclaimed documentarian and video artist Avi Mograbi is the special guest of this year's Open City Docs Fest
- and there's a great article on this unique filmmaker in this months Sight & Sound