21 A Long Weekend in Pest and Buda

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
dang

#1 Post by dang » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:34 pm

A Long Weekend in Pest and Buda

A Long Weekend in Pest and Buda reunites Károly Makk with Mari Törõcsik and Iván Darvas, who starred in his classic film Love, which was made over 30 years ago. With them, Makk recreates that finely tuned sense of place, history, and intimate human stories that characterize his best films, showing a director still working at the height of his talent. Emotionally mature and profoundly moving, the film reveals how, despite our best efforts, we can never quite escape the past.

Special Features

• Newly filmed interview with director Károly Makk.
• Newly filmed interview with co-writer Marc Vlessing.
• New digital transfer approved by the Director.
• Anamorphic 16:9 enhanced for widescreen televisions.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• Optimal quality dual-layer disc.
• Booklet features Mari Törõcsik speaking about Károly Makk and a new Essay by author John Cunningham.

Egy Hét Pesten és Budán (Karoly Makk, 2003)

Classified by the bbfc in May.
At the time of classification, Second Run DVD was the holder of the rights or the brand name for this work.

tavernier

#2 Post by tavernier » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:42 pm

It's coming out in R1 this month from everybody's favorite distributor....Facets (supposedly 16x9 letterboxed and with a Makk interview).

Bikey

#3 Post by Bikey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Yes, I can confirm that we will be releasing A Long Weekend in Pest & Buda later in 2006. No date set yet.

Following the great response to Love and Another Way this will be our third Karoly Makk film. A Long Weekend in Pest & Buda features the same actors as Love and has a connection/resonance with that film.

Our release has been mastered and subtitled under the supervision of Makk. It will include the interview with him and an interview with the writer/producer of the film Mark Vlessing - which is exclusive to our release.

Bikey

#4 Post by Bikey » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:25 pm

A LONG WEEKEND IN PEST & BUDA (Het Pesten es Budan, Egy)
A film by Karoly Makk
Hungary / 2003
Second Run DVD 021

2003 Bulgaria Film Festival / Best Actress Winner, Mari Torocsik
2003 Moscow International Film Festival / Golden St George Winner

A Long Weekend in Pest & Buda reunites Karoly Makk with Mari Torocsik and Ivan Darvas who starred in his classic 'Love' over 30 years before. They were once a couple who meet again when she falls terminally ill. It is a film that asks questions about age, memory and how we reinvent ourselves. Emotionally mature and profoundly moving it shows how, despite our best efforts, we can never quite escape the past.

Extras will include interviews with Karoly Makk and co-writer / executive producer Marc Vlessing.

Scheduled for mid-November.

rs98762001

#5 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:38 pm

Bikey wrote:Scheduled for mid-November.
So we should expect to see it released sometime in mid-2007?

Just kidding. Can't wait for this one. If it's even a fraction as great as LOVE, it will be well worth buying.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:06 pm

pro-bassoonist

#7 Post by pro-bassoonist » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:40 am

I just wanted to say a huge THANKS for providing this film!! Outstanding!!

Ciao,
Pro-B

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:25 pm

I'm just about to watch it for Sight & Sound - would those who have seen it recommend watching Love immediately beforehand? Or immediately afterwards?

(I have seen Love, but not in connection with the later film).

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Just watched it - and, contrary to rumour, you really don't need to have primed yourself with anything else beforehand. I'm not even sure that seeing Love made that much difference.

It's a marvellous film, though - intensely moving, thought-provoking and clearly the work of a director at the height of his powers: the sheer economy with which he conveys complex emotional information is a lesson to anyone who thinks you need more than 90 minutes to tell a good story (Long Weekend runs a mere 86).

I won't reveal anything else, though, as I went into it more or less blind and that's the best way.

Subbuteo

#10 Post by Subbuteo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Thanks MB
Planned to watch it this weekend, you're post has certainly whet my appetite for this.

Bikey

#11 Post by Bikey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:23 pm

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:56 pm

The latest MovieMail podcast is a nice discussion of the three Karoly Makk films that Second Run has released.

rs98762001

#13 Post by rs98762001 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Finally caught up with this, and it's a rich, mature and rewarding experience. Although this and LOVE are clearly two separate films, they still act as beautiful complements to each other.

On the basis of the three films that Second Run have released (and discussed very nicely in the above-referenced podcast) Makk really deserves reevaluation as a key Eastern European filmmaker.

tavernier

#14 Post by tavernier » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:11 pm

It would be nice to see a Second Run release of "Catsplay," which Facets put out (badly) in the US.