Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
joshua

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#176 Post by joshua » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 am

A film I've always wanted to see is The White Reindeer from Finland. I don't know if it is something Second Run would consider, but the snippets and stills I've seen from it look amazing.

Bikey

#177 Post by Bikey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

Peacock wrote:So was the rumor that you guys will be releasing Casa de Lava, just that; a rumor? Or are there plans?
Plans are definite, Peacock. We're just not sure of the approximate release date as yet and, therefore, are holding off on an official announcement.

Peacock

#178 Post by Peacock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 am

Great news! I'll hold off ordering the expensive Portuguese disk then. Hope we're not waiting too long!

doc mccoy

#179 Post by doc mccoy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 am

How about Kim Longinotto's favourite documentary In het huis van mijn vader (1997)?

Dadapass

#180 Post by Dadapass » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Sandra Hochman's Year of the Woman

Dadapass

#181 Post by Dadapass » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Here's another:
El cant dels ocells / Birdsong (Albert Serra, 2008)

multivitamin

#182 Post by multivitamin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:38 am

Talking about Eastern European masterpieces I'm pretty surprised there are only 3 polish movies in second run cataloque and none of them is a polish cult comedy. Couple of obvious choices are as follows:

"Rejs" dir Marek Piwowski 1970
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruise_%28film%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Hydrozagadka" dir Andrzej Kondratiuk 1971
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrozagadka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Mis" dir Stanislaw Bareja 1980
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Bear_%28film%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Seksmisja" rez Juliusz Machulski 1984
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of them bristling with surreal, abstract and acid (sic!) humor and even if half of that is lost due to poor translation there are enough catchy moments to fall in love with them. I reckon they might be a total surprise and a real treasures for non-polish viewers.

MichaelB

#183 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:10 am

multivitamin wrote:Talking about Eastern European masterpieces I'm pretty surprised there are only 3 polish movies in second run cataloque and none of them is a polish cult comedy.
I make it five - Interrogation, Knights of the Teutonic Order, Mother Joan of the Angels, Passenger and The Third Part of the Night.

Also, the total would have been eight if things had gone according to original plans: Eroica, Barrier and Hands Up! have been in preparation for some time, but just been delayed for reasons beyond Second Run's control. (Or rather, they could have released a crappy VHS-quality edition of Eroica last month, as originally planned, but they recently discovered that it's being restored).
Couple of obvious choices are as follows:

"Rejs" dir Marek Piwowski 1970
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruise_%28film%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Hydrozagadka" dir Andrzej Kondratiuk 1971
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrozagadka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Mis" dir Stanislaw Bareja 1980
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Bear_%28film%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Seksmisja" rez Juliusz Machulski 1984
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of them bristling with surreal, abstract and acid (sic!) humor and even if half of that is lost due to poor translation there are enough catchy moments to fall in love with them. I reckon they might be a total surprise and a real treasures for non-polish viewers.
All of those bar Hydro-Riddle are available in excellent English-subtitled editions in Poland, so there's no real incentive for Second Run to put them out. They used to have a policy of not duplicating anything that was available in an English-subtitled edition elsewhere (given that the typical Second Run buyer is probably pretty savvy about importation), and while they've relaxed this in cases where they can significantly improve on existing editions (for instance, the Facets Daisies, Valerie and her Week of Wonders and Valley of the Bees), there's no particular point in duplicating effort given the minuscule margins in this business.

RossyG

#184 Post by RossyG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 am

Just watched and enjoyed Celia. Some more youth-themed Australian cinema would be nice. Such as...

-The Year My Voice Broke (1987) and its sequel Flirting (1991)

-The Devil's Playground (1976)

-The Getting of Wisdom (1977)

MichaelB

#185 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:22 am

Flirting is a little masterpiece - I don't think I've ever seen such a gap between the quality of the British advertising (which made it look like some kind of softcore teen nympho schoolgirls romp) and the quality of the actual film.

RossyG

#186 Post by RossyG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 am

The poster used on Wikipedia makes it look like Porky's 4 or Lemon Popsicle 17:

Last edited by RossyG on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

tojoed

#187 Post by tojoed » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 am

RossyG wrote:Just watched and enjoyed Celia. Some more youth-themed Australian cinema would be nice. Such as...

-The Year My Voice Broke (1987) and its sequel Flirting (1991)

-The Devil's Playground (1976)

-The Getting of Wisdom (1977)
The Devil's Playground has been released in a nice edition by Umbrella in Australia and also in the US. No-one has picked it up in the UK yet, so that's a good suggestion. Do Second Run put SDH on their English language films?

MichaelB

#188 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:32 am

RossyG wrote:The poster used on Wikipedia makes it look like Porky's 4 or Lemon Popsicle 17:
Yup - slightly different design, but same basic image. If I hadn't seen The Year My Voice Broke and skimmed the reviews, I might not have bothered, which would have been a real shame.
tojoed wrote:The Devil's Playground has been released in a nice edition by Umbrella in Australia and also in the US. No-one has picked it up in the UK yet, so that's a good suggestion.
As I said above (and which was confirmed to me by someone at Second Run after I posted it), their policy is not to duplicate existing editions unless they think they can significantly improve on them. Celia wasn't available at all, which is why that got picked over and above other Australian titles.
Do Second Run put SDH on their English language films?
Not to my knowledge - I think all their subtitles are just for translation purposes.

antnield

#189 Post by antnield » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:38 am

Flirting is available on disc in the UK, having been released by Warners albeit without extras and, if I remember rightly, in a ratio of 1.33:1.

Wu.Qinghua

#190 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:48 am

Do Second Run put SDH on their English language films?
Not to my knowledge - I think all their subtitles are just for translation purposes.
A pity this is ...

Anyway, have you ever thought about releasing some of Zelimir Zilnik's movies? I can't find anyone of Zilnik's films on dvd which is quite surprising, as "Rani Radovi" won the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival back in 1969.

Zot!

#191 Post by Zot! » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:05 pm

antnield wrote:Flirting is available on disc in the UK, having been released by Warners albeit without extras and, if I remember rightly, in a ratio of 1.33:1.
The US DVD is an anamorphic transfer 1.85:1, with a horrible Kidman promoting cover. Absolutely a great film.

GaryC

#192 Post by GaryC » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:00 pm

If Second Run are interested in another Aussie "youth" movie that isn't as far as I know available on DVD anywhere, there's another John Duigan title, Mouth to Mouth. I saw it on Channel 4 sometime in the 1990s and if memory serves I can recommend it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#193 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Flirting is out on MGM though, isn't it?

What A Disgrace

#194 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:45 pm

A little birdy tells me that Zulawski's Possession is in Second Run's clutches. Is this true?

jsteffe

#195 Post by jsteffe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 am

joshua wrote:A film I've always wanted to see is The White Reindeer from Finland. I don't know if it is something Second Run would consider, but the snippets and stills I've seen from it look amazing.
The White Reindeer is an EXCELLENT suggestion! I've also been wanting to see this film for years--sounds truly unique from everything I've read about it. It would fit nicely within Second Run's release profile. There's also a recent Finnish restoration, I think.

Move that one toward the top of my wish list!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#196 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:10 am

jsteffe wrote:
joshua wrote:A film I've always wanted to see is The White Reindeer from Finland. I don't know if it is something Second Run would consider, but the snippets and stills I've seen from it look amazing.
The White Reindeer is an EXCELLENT suggestion! There's also a recent Finnish restoration, I think.
Indeed there was a dvd release in Finland in April but unfortunately without subs. Second Run.... Forward!!

marnum

#197 Post by marnum » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:00 pm

The White Reindeer gets my vote, but The Unknown Soldier would be nice too.

doc mccoy

#198 Post by doc mccoy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Casa de Lava up for pre-order at HMV on 11/10/2010

perkizitore

#199 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm

What A Disgrace

#200 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Any chance of some Jiri Menzel films? I've been dying to see more of his work, and he's one of the more well regarded Czech auteurs you haven't touched.