BD 77 Happy End

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

BD 77 Happy End

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm

Oldrich Lipsky's comedy classic is coming in March.

• Happy End (Šťastný konec, 1967) presented from a new 4K restoration by the Czech National Film Archive.
• A Projection Booth audio commentary with Mike White, Kat Ellinger and Ben Buckingham.
• Cerise Howard on ‘Happy End’: a new video essay by the film critic and Program Director of the Melbourne Queer Film Festival
• Booklet featuring a new essay by Jonathan Owen.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• World premiere release on Blu-ray.
• Region free Blu-ray (A/B/C)

ryannichols7

Re: Forthcoming: Happy End

#2 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:21 pm

I was wondering when we'd get the next announcement!

cover:
SpoilerShow

TechnicolorAcid

#3 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:39 pm

We are living in a Lipsky Renaissance and I for one couldn’t be happier. My thoughts on Happy End are generally positive and as my first Lipsky it holds a special place in my heart so I am happy to revisit it. Based off my recollection I feel like Lipsky’s biggest accomplishment is that it’s a film that so cleverly works it with it’s gimmick that any other strategy would had just weakened the film. Lipsky’s cinematic play is at has arguably best and almost feels like this is a film from an alternate universe with how utterly unique it gets in it’s plot structure. And this in large part is aided by this dry deadpan narration over the film which gives the film a sophisticated wit when paired with the almost childlike imagination in the visuals. I just hope someone does Gentlemen I Killed Einstein now.

furbicide

#4 Post by furbicide » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:05 pm

It’s cool to see Cerise Howard contributing a special feature to this disc. Possibly the single most dedicated proponent of Czech and Slovak cinema in the Antipodes.

Bikey

#5 Post by Bikey » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:43 am

Full details now at our website

Bikey

#6 Post by Bikey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 am

"An uproariously funny film. Short, sharp and inventive, it’s an absolute treat. [...] I can’t recommend HAPPY END enough. It’s weird, wonderful and an absolute riot. Anyone with a taste for the unusual and absurd should pick this up as soon as possible."

Blueprint: Review

charal

#7 Post by charal » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

I expected to have problems with this film but was surprised with how easy it was to fall into its reverse narrative. After watching the film I decided to watch it in reverse order (by going to the fire scene and pressing rewind). This way the film narrative becomes clearer even without the dialogue.

Bikey

#8 Post by Bikey » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:32 am

"In its playful games with narrative and film form, its excursions down surprisingly profound philosophical alleys and abidingly macabre tone... HAPPY END perfectly matches the tenor of its times while still feeling bracingly fresh today. The fact that it's frequently laugh-out-loud funny doesn't hurt. [...] this looks immaculate, the sepia-tinted monochrome cinematography true to the original release."

Michael Brooke reviews Oldřich Lipský's HAPPY END in the latest Sight and Sound magazine