BD 68 The Circus Tent

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

BD 68 The Circus Tent

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:31 am

Aravindan Govindan's 1978 film is coming soon, as confirmed on their webpage.

hmcnaught

Re: The Circus Tent (Thamp)

#2 Post by hmcnaught » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:48 am

very excited for this one

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:50 am

first Indian title for Second Run during the bluray era, no? not counting the unique Czechmate, of course

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:52 am

Not remotely surprised by this - I saw the restoration in Bologna last July, and it's a perfect title for Second Run.

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 pm

It is worth mentioning that this is a World Cinema Project restoration, and a recent one too. Hopefully Second Run (as well as Indicator, Eureka, Radiance...) decide to pick up some of Criterion's slack when it comes to releasing these films, and that there's as little reason to double dip on any thing as possible.

What A Disgrace

Re: Forthcoming: The Circus Tent

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed May 31, 2023 6:36 pm

July 10

• The Circus Tent (Thamp̄, 1978) presented from the new 4K restoration by Film Heritage Foundation.
• Exclusive, newly filmed interview with photographer Ramu Aravindan, son of the legendary Aravindan Govindan.
• The Circus Tent at Cannes 2022: Shivendra Singh Dungarpur and actor Jalaja interviewed by Anupama Chopra for Film Companion.
• Booklet with new writing by filmmaker and Film Heritage Foundation founder Shivendra Singh Dungarpur.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• World premiere on Blu-ray.
• Region free Blu-ray (A/B/C).

ryannichols7

#7 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 pm
It is worth mentioning that this is a World Cinema Project restoration, and a recent one too. Hopefully Second Run (as well as Indicator, Eureka, Radiance...) decide to pick up some of Criterion's slack when it comes to releasing these films, and that there's as little reason to double dip on any thing as possible.
their second such title, too - Mysterious Object at Noon being the other. I've been hoping to see more of these crop up in the UK, after Eureka's initial run of them forever ago.

I do hope to see Second Run delve more into Indian film - they did a decent bit during the DVD era but Indian cinema is so grossly underrepresented on Bluray, though rather understandably due to the licensing situation with most films. Criterion seem content with paying up for Ray's films every now and then, and they hit the two big Ghatak titles, but beyond that we're really lacking overall. hopefully this title does well enough we see more.

wondering what other WCF titles Second Run would be into. I'd even take some of the ones Criterion released, just with actual supplements on board

Bikey

Re: Forthcoming: The Circus Tent

#8 Post by Bikey » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:07 pm

Full details now up at our website

What A Disgrace

#9 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:51 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 pm
their second such title, too - Mysterious Object at Noon being the other. I've been hoping to see more of these crop up in the UK, after Eureka's initial run of them forever ago.

I do hope to see Second Run delve more into Indian film - they did a decent bit during the DVD era but Indian cinema is so grossly underrepresented on Bluray, though rather understandably due to the licensing situation with most films. Criterion seem content with paying up for Ray's films every now and then, and they hit the two big Ghatak titles, but beyond that we're really lacking overall. hopefully this title does well enough we see more.

wondering what other WCF titles Second Run would be into. I'd even take some of the ones Criterion released, just with actual supplements on board
Limite is dying for such a release. There's an acclaimed documentary about the making of the film, that wasn't included on Criterion's release.

Langland

Re: BD 68 The Circus Tent

#10 Post by Langland » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:30 pm

Have ordered my copy of this film previously unknown to me. However I don't know if anyone can help me but back in the 90s I saw and recorded on VHS a Japanese film screened on Channel 4 titled 'Circus Boys'. It was a beautiful poignant film shot in crisp black and white but I have never seen a dvd release. Anybody any idea what it was and if so is there any kind of release?

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:02 pm

It was Kaizo Hayashi's Circus Boys (1989), and it is indeed wonderful - but I'm not aware of a legit DVD release. (I'm pretty sure I bought it on VHS back in the day - almost certainly courtesy of the ICA Projects video label.)

Bikey

#12 Post by Bikey » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:01 pm

"Poetic and allegorical Malayalam-language drama was previously thought lost, but has now been given a fresh new lease of life courtesy of this stunning new 4K restoration by the Film Heritage Foundation. [...]
The film retains a real sense of authenticity [...] with great visual flair, giving real perception and sensitivity to the piece. It’s dreamlike and spiritual with hints of magic realism."
The Arts Shelf

Bikey

#13 Post by Bikey » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:56 am

"A long-neglected Malayalam-language masterpiece...
Aravindan's gaze is sharply political, even as it dwells on beauty and wonder. [...] The restoration brings to vivid life Karun's striking black-and-white images, dappled with shades of grey"

THE CIRCUS TENT in the latest Sight and Sound magazine

Bikey

#14 Post by Bikey » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:57 am

"A haunting and remarkable work of 1970s Indian cinema almost lost to the ravages of time [...]
The cinematography is gorgeous as well, particularly the atmospheric night scenes, and benefits greatly from a much-needed 4K restoration by Film Heritage Foundation. [...] Second Run's Blu-ray release marks an excellent way to experience a film that most probably haven't encountered before"

Mondo Digital

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:30 pm

One of the best films I've seen this year (as per usual for Second Run releases), but a little more context in the supplements would have been appreciated. Hopefully whoever has Kummatty puts it out soon, too.

brundlefly

#16 Post by brundlefly » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 am

I do not share the affection the great filmmakers of a certain era had for the circus, but Thamp̄ works as historic record, subtly nurtured social document, and glimmering eye candy. The largely dialogue- and drama-free observational account of a small-time regional troupe – more passable night out(*) than Greatest Show on Earth –spends more time off-show then on, as much time watching the incredible faces in the crowd as the acts. Which is the point: The troupe’s relationship with the communities which they service, connecting on some intimate levels but always acknowledging the performer-audience gap that makes them, and makes them endearing to, outsiders. The tent is in the title is because it’s a meeting place and also a boundary.

(*)You do get to watch someone make-up a monkey. And I don’t know if they cheated the goat act so it looked higher up than it was, but even if they did, that’s the Tom Brady of goats.

Compared to the iffy DVDs and YouTube uploads I’ve been watching lately, the Second Run’s blu-ray is almost obscenely beautiful. Shaji’s b&w photography is (on a 1:2 shooting ratio, according to the disc!) can be beautifully composed, and the editing waits for purpose before calling attention to itself. That can make it an absorbing pleasure and also can make the mind wander. There are throughlines I only caught as loose ends and enough else to wonder at that I look forward to revisiting it.

It is unfortunate the bulk of the supplements, including the whole booklet, are more concerned with the restoration than the film itself.