115 / BD 5 My 20th Century

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: 115 / BD 5 My Twentieth Century

#52 Post by soundchaser » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm

I just watched this for the first time a few days ago, and I have to agree with everyone here - it's gorgeous, dense, and (dare I say it) alien in the way it presents its narrative. But I was struck by just how funny the film is. Enyedi does a fantastic job of setting up gags (I'm thinking specifically of the bit with Dora's "brother." If you've seen the film, you know the scene.)

Reading this thread, you'd almost get the impression that it's austere and off-putting, but it's really an engaging, easy watch. Quite an achievement, given how much is going on below the surface.

God, I love this label.

Bikey

#53 Post by Bikey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 pm

So glad to know that you loved the film, soundchaser. We're really happy when we hear that you love the films that we love and release for you.

If you can, don't miss seeing Ildiko Enyedi's new film, the 2017 Berlin Golden Bear winner ON BODY AND SOUL.

Bikey

#54 Post by Bikey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:28 pm

MY 20th CENTURY is now just £13.99 on Blu-ray at Amazon UK

bottled spider

#55 Post by bottled spider » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:17 pm

My parents would take us kids to movies that were often a little too advanced for us. I was usually intrigued, rather than frustrated, by whatever I didn't understand. In one's curmudgeonly old age, one loses some of that negative capability. My Twentieth Century brought flooding back those childhood experiences of being enjoyably mystified by cinema.

markhax

#56 Post by markhax » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:28 pm

bottled spider wrote:My parents would take us kids to movies that were often a little too advanced for us. I was usually intrigued, rather than frustrated, by whatever I didn't understand. In one's curmudgeonly old age, one loses some of that negative capability. My Twentieth Century brought flooding back those childhood experiences of being enjoyably mystified by cinema.
I saw this film twice when it first came out, at an art house in Minneapolis. I loved it then, and was thrilled to see it finally released on blue-ray and I have not been disappointed. It's an absolute delight on so many levels. It's truly magical. The interview with the director, Enyedi, made me appreciate it even more. It's kind of a miracle that it ever got made. She had remarkable faith in her very personal vision for a novice film maker.

bottled spider

#57 Post by bottled spider » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Yeah, I liked that interview a lot too. So introverted, yet so forceful. The well researched essay was also very helpful. I'm eager to watch it again, armed with a little more knowledge.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 am

So, I'll be the first here to say they didn't like this. I didn't like this. If I wanted to watch a Guy Maddin movie, I'd... well, not. Disparate scenes of whimsy and art house crockery, sometimes nicely shot but never remarkably so (the effusive praise ladeled out here in this regard is especially baffling), at the service of a patchwork narrative of nothing

bottled spider

#60 Post by bottled spider » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:09 pm

I revisited it the other day and switched it off halfway through. I found the whimsicality irritating the second time round, and felt there was less substance there than I originally thought.

(Then again, I also recently tried revisiting A Woman is a Woman, a film I loved the first time, and only lasted ten minutes. In the spirit of fairness, I will give both a third viewing one of these days. Maybe back to back!)

knives

#61 Post by knives » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Looks like Enyedi is an oscar nominee now.

colinr0380

Re: 115 / BD 5 My 20th Century

#62 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 am

knives

#63 Post by knives » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 am
So, I'll be the first here to say they didn't like this. I didn't like this. If I wanted to watch a Guy Maddin movie, I'd... well, not. Disparate scenes of whimsy and art house crockery, sometimes nicely shot but never remarkably so (the effusive praise ladeled out here in this regard is especially baffling), at the service of a patchwork narrative of nothing
Ha, came here to say this had the lovely air and humour of Maddin played more slowly. I thought it was really great even if I didn’t realize there was a plot until about an hour in.