115 / BD 5 My 20th Century

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
JabbaTheSlut

Re: 115 / BD 5 My Twentieth Century

#26 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 am

TMDaines wrote:The Berlinale seems to have had far less coverage than normal this year. The Guardian has nothing on its film site on it.
Here you go: https://www.theguardian.com/film/berlinfilmfestival" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:32 am

I think he meant that there's nothing on the Guardian site on the specific film under discussion. Which there certainly wasn't last night, even if the situation's changed since.

JabbaTheSlut

#28 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 am

Got it.

TMDaines

115 / BD 5 My Twentieth Century

#29 Post by TMDaines » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:38 am

I didn't actually notice that the particular film had not been reviewed.

I tend to browse the Guardian and many other sites daily and there's been nothing pushed to the front on the festival in general. There's a been a few reviews of films screen there but not much else. I kind of forgot the festival was coming to a close and awards were due.

JabbaTheSlut

#30 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:07 am

It's sad that Berlinale and Venice have lost their relevance in relation to Cannes.

Cronenfly

#31 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Wow, great news. I finally put in my preorder for My Twentieth Century, unexpectedly great timing on Second Run's part. If this doesn't help with sales, I don't know what will.

Ribs

#32 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Bikey

#34 Post by Bikey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am

"My 20th Century is a beautiful fable without borders"
Backseat Mafia

Bikey

#35 Post by Bikey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:37 pm

"...it is utterly, passionately cinematic. With the new restoration doing full justice to its silvery black-and-white images, it emerges as a full-on thermonuclear blast of intellectual, comic and sensory pleasure."
The Geek Show rave about MY 20th CENTURY

Bikey

#36 Post by Bikey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:57 am

“An early contender for release of the year... a delight, pure and simple. It is a glorious find and a film that rewards the viewer with its wit, its whimsy, and its romantic commitment to the medium.... My 20th Century is a film you must see, perhaps on multiple occasions."
Clydefro Jones at Digital Fix

Bikey

#37 Post by Bikey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 am

"Impressionistic, episodic, challenging and utterly mesmerising thanks both to Enyedi's image-making and the performance of her female lead, My 20th Century is a gem"
Herald Scotland

Bikey

#38 Post by Bikey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:59 am

"As beautiful a film as you're likely to see on home video... a remarkable piece of work, filled with gentle touches of magic realism and a lush visual approach that would give Hollywood's European groundbreakers like Josef von Sternberg a run for their money.

My 20th Century looks terrific on Blu-ray from Second Run... with incredibly rich black levels that allow the inventive compositions to really pop off the screen; there are at least a few dozen shots in this film that will make you gasp."
Mondo Digital are dazzled by Ildikó Enyedi's MY 20th CENTURY

nitin

#39 Post by nitin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 am

Bikey wrote:
"As beautiful a film as you're likely to see on home video... a remarkable piece of work, filled with gentle touches of magic realism and a lush visual approach that would give Hollywood's European groundbreakers like Josef von Sternberg a run for their money.

My 20th Century looks terrific on Blu-ray from Second Run... with incredibly rich black levels that allow the inventive compositions to really pop off the screen; there are at least a few dozen shots in this film that will make you gasp."
Mondo Digital are dazzled by Ildikó Enyedi's MY 20th CENTURY
Looks stunning, will definitely pick this up soon.

Cheers once again for putting out these obscure classics.

Bikey

#40 Post by Bikey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 am

"Go with the flow and just enjoy how quirky and downright beautiful this movie is to watch, you’ll almost certainly be delighted by it... Second Run’s blu-ray presentation is wonderful (this is My 20th Century’s world premiere release on blu-ray) and includes a fascinating new interview with the director. Absolutely superb."
10/10 from Ian White at Starburst Magazine

Bikey

#41 Post by Bikey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:05 am

"Ildikó Enyedi's hugely inventive, kaleidoscopic debut feature, which looks terrific on Second Run's Blu-ray release"
Slarek at CineOutsider is the latest to be bowled over by MY 20th CENTURY

FrauBlucher

#42 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

This is the first review that gives terrific detail about not just the film but the bluray itself.
The sharpness and level of detail are both very impressive and fully justify putting the film out on Blu-ray
It sounds quite wonderful and is definitely on my "to get" list. :D

Bikey

#43 Post by Bikey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 am

"Anarchism, electricity, feminism and sex illuminate Ildiko Enkedi's beguiling comedy-drama...
My 20th Century arrives on Blu-ray via a new high-definition transfer, which does a beautiful job with it's distinctive, glittering visual style."
Pamela Hutchinson reviews in the latest Sight & Sound magazine

Bikey

#44 Post by Bikey » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 am

"It looks lovely in high-definition... the entire film has a very solid and pleasing organic appearance.

There is an almost euphoric sense of freedom in this film that can be somewhat intimidating at first, but its playfulness and appreciation of beauty and elegance are impossible to resist. I loved it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."
Blu-ray.com review

ermylaw

#45 Post by ermylaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:52 pm

I received this on blu-ray and watched it last week. I found it to be an incredibly dense film, and consequently, I'm positive that I missed most of what it was trying to convey. The included essay is scholarly and proved to be a tremendous benefit in proposing theories and ideas that I may not have considered on my own. The major theme of the film is obvious -- modernization and its results in the 20th century -- but, the way the ideas are conveyed will require multiple viewings to appreciate.

I don't want to give the false impression that the film is bogged down with making some statement. It remains quite whimsical throughout, and the lead actress is a joy to watch in her various roles.

As for the technical presentation, I watched this projected onto a roughly 100" screen and noted nothing distracting about the quality of the video. It seemed very film like to me. The audio was perfectly clear. I haven't had a chance to watch the included video supplement, so I can't comment on that.

In sum, I am very pleased that Second Run released this film since I otherwise wouldn't have known it existed. It's worth adding to your shelves because it will require more than one viewing to truly appreciate, which is not a chore considering how much fun the film is.

Bikey

#46 Post by Bikey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 am

Werewolf by Night

#47 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Very imaginative and charming film. My only criticism of the release is that I wish the interview with Enyedi had been transcribed, condensed, and printed in the booklet. Out of 28 minutes, there is probably a good 7-8 minutes worth of interesting information among the vocalized pauses, breaks, repetitions, and clips from the film.

Bikey

#48 Post by Bikey » Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 am

"Well, here’s a treat from Second Run... It would be hard for anything to outdo the luminosity of the film’s cinematography, which wows you over and over on Second Run’s excellent disc...
Films are called unique all the time, but My 20th Century earns the descriptor."
Another terrific response to MY 20th CENTURY - this time from World Cinema Paradise (scroll 3/4 of way down for the review.)

Bikey

#50 Post by Bikey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 am

"Mesmerisingly imaginative... what a fantastically ambitious film MY 20th CENTURY is"

The Arts Desk on Ildikó Enyedi’s gorgeous film