It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:28 am 

Two films by Marc Isaacs coming January 2017.

Quote:
Our third volume of films by the renowned British documentary filmmaker Marc Isaacs brings together two films chronicling very different perspectives on the nature of love, respect and devotion. With these films Isaacs continues to seek out places where a complete palette of humanity can be found.

Heartrending and hilarious in ways that only the love life of an 11-year-old can be, Someday My Prince Will Come (2005) is rare in its willingness to accept kids on their own terms. Narrated in rhyming voice-over by its subject, Laura-Anne, as she embarks on a quest to find a 'prince'. Along the way, we're reminded of the tumultuous nature of young love and offered an unvarnished look at the social life of a small British coastal village.

Philip and His Seven Wives (2006), a film made for the BBC’s prestigious Storyville strand, tells the fascinating story of a former Rabbi’s attempt to create a new Godly family.

Believing he communicated directly with God, messianic rabbi Philip Sharpe says he learned he was a former Hebrew King, and as a Jewish patriarch he is entitled to seven wives. Isaacs’s captivating and intimate documentary visits Philip and his wives at their unconventional home in a quiet suburb, where daily life revolves around devotion to the Torah and obedience to the head of the house.

Second Run are delighted to present these two important documentary works on home video for the first time anywhere - and which include all new and exclusive follow-up pieces on both films, plus a brand new filmed interview with filmmaker Marc Isaacs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:01 pm 

Now available to order at the Arrow store

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:12 am 

Pre-order at Amazon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:10 am 

Amazon pre-order now just £9.99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:20 am 

Full details for this release now up at our website

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am 

The first review is in - an in-depth appreciation from The Geek Show

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 am 

Quote:
"Veritable odd-couple Philip and His Seven Wives and Someday My Prince Will Come make for a perfectly complementary double-bill"
CineVue on our Marc Isaacs Vol. III

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 pm 

Beaver.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 am 

Quote:
"Isaacs is working in the best British documentary tradition of prolonged exposure to his subjects, allowing the texture of everyday lives to be caught in full, hopes and fears, tears and laughter"
The Arts Desk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 am 

Quote:
"In this pair of gentle, thoughtful films... Marc Isaacs displays his customary empathy and throat-catching intimacy he conjures with his subjects."
Marc Isaacs' SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME / PHILIP AND HIS SEVEN WIVES reviewed in the latest Sight & Sound magazine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:23 pm 

I missed out on the last two Isaacs discs, but I'm gladly purchasing this (I pre-ordered it back in January...which means it was pre-ordered with a bunch of stuff that comes out THIS month). I hope the other two go on sale soon on Arrow's site. There's quite a few Second Run discs I've missed over the years, as I was making a lot less money then and could not afford to be as adventurous as I'd like, but the recent sales on the Arrow site have helped me fill in a lot of the gaps.