It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:54 am 

What a revelation! Watched this last night and would echo all the positive comments above. Would urge members to buy this in the hope that it might encourage Second Run to release more of what appears to be an extensive filmography if Peter Hames's sleeve notes are anything to go by.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:09 pm 

It was another blind-buy from Second Run and I'm glad I took the plunge. Excellent film. If SR ever consider a Blu-Ray, I'd buy again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:22 am 

Little White Lies magazines 'Best Home Entertainment Releases of 2015' names three Second Run titles in their Top 20: DRAGON'S RETURN at #13; PICTURES OF THE OLD WORLD at #9 and ALL MY GOOD COUNTRYMEN at #4!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 pm 

Quote:
"A tremendous piece of cinema... stands mightily as an astonishing work of art even when isolated from its political context. The reality of modern film viewing is fluid. It's unattached to any such political movements and those viewers unaware or unwilling to fully immerse themselves in the necessary context shouldn't be punished. The truly excellent artistic endeavors always exist outside the boundaries in which they were created, and All My Good Countrymen is no different. The film is a miracle of narrative expression"
Clydefro Jones reviews Jasný's ALL MY GOOD COUNTRYMEN at The Digital Fix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:29 am 

Mondo Digital on ALL MY GOOD COUNTRYMEN thinks you should be
Quote:
"astonished by Second Run's UK DVD, which comes from a recent 4K restoration of the film courtesy of the Czech National Film Archive. As you'd expect, it looks immaculate and pushes the limits of SD about as far as they can go."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:04 am 

Quote:
"[Jasny] has a gift for creating stunning compositions... a deeply personal, stylized, and mythic cinematic elegy to a traditional way of life... Jasny’s pastoral idyll may be touched by sentimentality but it’s a magical work"
Leonard Quart at Cineaste reports on ALL MY GOOD COUNTRYMEN in the latest issue's 'Staff Recommendations'