100 / BD 1 Horse Money

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

Re: Horse Money

#51 Post by Bikey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:39 am

"Second Run's first Blu-ray is a knockout"
Eric Cotenas review our HORSE MONEY Blu-ray at DVD Compare

Bikey

#52 Post by Bikey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 am

"This is the first Blu-ray release from British distributors Second Run and as such I think that it looks quite wonderful. RECOMMENDED."
Blu-ray.com on HORSE MONEY

Bikey

#53 Post by Bikey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Herald Scotland reviews HORSE MONEY

Bikey

#54 Post by Bikey » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:56 am

"Horse Money is another masterpiece in the realm of 'pure cinema' - an extension of Colossal Youth. We get so little cinema at this level today. It is a pure visual experience that you should allow to wash over you as your engage. The Second Run Blu-ray provides an excellent a/v presentation with very appreciated supplements. I'm so thrilled that they have gone to such lengths to respect Horse Money with this exceptional package. We would like to congratulate them on this release - they are often the unsung heroes of foreign-film digital releases. I hope this vaults them to their deserved level. It has our highest recommendation!"
Wow. Gary Tooze at DVD Beaver raves over our HORSE MONEY Blu-ray.

Bikey

#55 Post by Bikey » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:12 pm

"Visually sumptuous in a manner that flies the flag for digital cinema from the highest flagpole, it's a haunting example of low-key political filmmaking ... the first Blu-ray release from Second Run is actually a triumph, with a belter of a transfer and spot-on extra features making this feel like a seriously complete package. Highly recommended. "

CineOutsider

Bikey

#56 Post by Bikey » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:38 am

"Second Run’s very first Blu-ray - Pedro Costa’s Horse Money - is gorgeously transferred, and has splendid extras"
Jonathan Rosenbaum's Global Discoveries on DVD

Bikey

Re: 100 / BD 1 Horse Money

#57 Post by Bikey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:46 am

Pedro Costa's sublime HORSE MONEY - now playing at MUBI UK

Bikey

#58 Post by Bikey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 am

The Craft of Film:
HORSE MONEY + ScreenTalk with Director Pedro Costa
Barbican Cinema, London - 8.30pm, Friday 24 February

Directing Masterclass with Pedro Costa
Barbican Cinema, London - 11am, Saturday 25 February 2017

Following on from his stunning earlier works, OSSOS, IN VANDA'S ROOM and COLOSSAL YOUTH, Pedro Costa takes his portrayal of the lives of Cape Verdean immigrants living in Lisbon’s former slum area Fontainhas to another level of cinematic intensity and rigour with HORSE MONEY.

Director Pedro Costa will be present for a ScreenTalk hosted by Ian Haydn-Smith after the film.

On the following day, Saturday 24th Feb at 11am, Pedro Costa will present a 'Directing Masterclass' where he will talk in more depth about his concept of cinema and his approach to directing.

knives

#59 Post by knives » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I liked this, but have a lot of the same reservations for it that I do with Ossos. This is not aided by seeing mention that Ventura actually was going through mental illness at the time of filming which heightens the threat of exploitation. This sees a healthy return of the magical realism which populated Costa's early films. Some of it is quite successful though often it makes these already precarious balancing acts between exploitation and fiction all the more unnerving. That unease is aided by this being Cota's most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing film utilizing the hospital's stark corridors for a chiaroscuro effect as great as any painting or the montages like a photo album. Costa makes it clear his heart is in the right place and I can't think of a better time for a film about an immigrant who the system has chewed up and left behind, but to make it a matter of cosmic concern that even the walls speak of seems a bit much especially given the pseudo-biographic nature of the film, the lead character is based on his actor who apparently was going through a mental illness at the time, and that the style doesn't really engage in genre in the sort of comforting fictitious way of Audiard.

John Cope

#61 Post by John Cope » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:36 pm

knives wrote:...but to make it a matter of cosmic concern that even the walls speak of seems a bit much especially given the pseudo-biographic nature of the film, the lead character is based on his actor who apparently was going through a mental illness at the time, and that the style doesn't really engage in genre in the sort of comforting fictitious way of Audiard.
Wondered if you could expand on this a little bit. Do you mean that it would work better or be more successful if it were to "engage in genre in the sort of comforting fictitious way of Audiard"? Why? I understand the rest of what you're saying I think, but not this.

knives

#62 Post by knives » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't think it would be necessarily better, I was thinking of the reactions to Dheepan, but that by being in a comfortable genre mold it seems easier to excuse not being the smartest look at a problem versus Costa's style which deals with genre so as to emphasize its importance (I was going to say real world but that cosmic thing makes that seem the wrong word). Costa is trying a far tougher thing with Horse Money than I've seen by Audiard and that makes the missteps all the more pronounced.