100 / BD 1 Horse Money

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
McCrutchy

Re: Horse Money

#26 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:46 pm

rapta wrote:Dekalog still with AE I think...
Right you are. I knew it had been released on DVD in the UK by somebody, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember who it was. Maybe AE will step up to the plate, then, but sadly, I think the only other real option is Criterion, who clearly won't be able to do a native 50Hz encode, even though I would hope they'll pitch-correct it.
rapta wrote:But anyway, this is ecstatic news. I feel bad for only having only bought 2 Second Run DVDs to date but I'm well aware that's my loss! I will definitely be supporting the move to Blu-ray, and hopefully this means some older titles will make the transition...though I'm happy if it's only your newer acquisitions as I'm aware it would be a costly exercise in most cases. That said, you could always attempt it with some of the more contemporary directors' work you've released before (Weerasethakul, Lanthimos, Alonso, Gomes etc), as I assume the materials are in a better condition and more easily off-the-shelf?
Funnily enough, I am in a similar boat. I have followed Second Run's output, but the DVD-only status meant that I didn't buy most of what they put out. In fact, the only one I know I have is Confidence. Clearly, with Blu-ray, that can all change, and however many they are able to put out, my hope would be to be able to buy them all.

criterionsnob

#27 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:30 am

Bikey

#28 Post by Bikey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:00 am

It may feel like we’ve come a little late to Blu-ray but as a carefully curated and independent label we really had many things to take into consideration, chief amongst them the fact that some of the wonderful films we wish to release may never have materials or size of audience that allow for anything but a DVD release.
Writing here gives us the chance to share our cares and concerns with you... after judging the response we get to the Blu-ray release of HORSE MONEY please know that we hope to do BD’s whenever possible but we will still continue to really need your support for the films we release on DVD, otherwise those great films and films like them will once again be lost and remain unseen.

TMDaines

#29 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:19 am

Hi Bikey,

I'm someone who just wants to own the best version of films that interest me, so you'll be pleased to know that I own a couple dozen of your DVDs as the odds of anyone giving them better than your DVD treatment is slim to none. It's the film first for me, format is second.

RobertB

#30 Post by RobertB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 pm

\:D/ Fantastic news. I will buy this, and I am much more likely to by your films on DVD if I know it's the best edition the film can ever get. What sucks is buying something on DVD, and 12 months later it gets released on Blu-ray in USA or Poland.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:34 am

Amazon now says this is coming March 14th.

hearthesilence

#33 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Bikey wrote:Writing here gives us the chance to share our cares and concerns with you... after judging the response we get to the Blu-ray release of HORSE MONEY please know that we hope to do BD’s whenever possible but we will still continue to really need your support for the films we release on DVD, otherwise those great films and films like them will once again be lost and remain unseen.
FWIW, offering something I want on Blu-Ray will immediately grab my attention - a DVD-only release will take some consideration, but in a case like Pedro Costa, I never hesitated to buy a standard-def DVD in the past simply because of the format he chose for his films (at least for most of them). I'll still get the Blu-Ray though because it's great to get the film without the compression that comes with DVD encoding, but I bring it up because it probably makes more sense to judge the sales of a true HD (or film-sourced) picture on Blu-Ray than one shot on DV.

ermylaw

#34 Post by ermylaw » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:34 pm

I've put in a pre-order for this since it looks very intriguing.

I only buy blu-rays at this point since I no longer have any shelves dedicated to DVDs (and I have a bit of a compulsion about how my collection is stored and displayed). The fact that I'm watching a large projected screen also impacts that decision (and probably seems a more rational justification to others).

That said, for some reason I had not looked into Second Run's releases prior to this thread, and now that I have, I might go back and pick up a few things on DVD from them. To admit my ignorance, I was unaware they'd released so many films that I want to own. If DVD is the best they'll get, then DVD it is.

MichaelB

#35 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:36 pm

The number of titles in Second Run's catalogue for which HD masters exist is comparatively tiny, and heavily biased towards the more recent ones. And the number of titles for which HD masters existed at the time of Second Run's DVD release is considerably smaller.

Kyle Lewis

#36 Post by Kyle Lewis » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Horse Money just added to Vudu. Going to watch ahead of the Cinema Guild Release. Also Jem Cohen's Counting added today.

hangman

#37 Post by hangman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:52 pm

ermylaw wrote: That said, for some reason I had not looked into Second Run's releases prior to this thread, and now that I have, I might go back and pick up a few things on DVD from them. To admit my ignorance, I was unaware they'd released so many films that I want to own. If DVD is the best they'll get, then DVD it is.
To be honest if you actually watch their catalog and read the notes it should be rather evident why it would be DVD only, they are for most part forgotten movies.

That said the best movies I've discovered from this label are those whose quality is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum, e.g. Kim Longinotto's films, Romeo, Juliet, and Darkness, Rat Trap, David Holzman's diary, The Ear, Party and the Guests, etc to name some stand out few. These films while fantastic are obviously on the heavily neglected or criminally under seen that it's no surprise there wouldn't be any better transfers, let alone restorations. At the end of the day between never seeing the films to seeing them in the only available condition possible well as a cinephile its pretty obvious which wins out.

McCrutchy

#38 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey Bikey, when you get a chance, I have sent you a PM about this. I wasn't sure if you'd seen it, yet. ;)

Bikey

#39 Post by Bikey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Sorry - yes, just replied. :)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#40 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 am

Press release :
Arrow Films to handle sales and distribution for Second Run

Second Run has today announced that Arrow Films will be handling their sales and distribution from 1st February 2016 in Arrow’s first deal of this type.

It was always Second Run’s intention to be part of a cinephile community who care for, seek, discuss, present and watch such films – and now more than 10 years later Second Run have found themselves at the forefront of presenting rare and hard-to-see films from around the world to a dedicated and ever-appreciative UK and international audience.

Arrow Films are renowned for their incredible releases, from TV series to cult and classic cinema, combining state-of-the-art restorations with bespoke, striking and unique packaging.

Arrow are a global market leader in the premium home entertainment.

——————————————–

Alex Agran, MD, Arrow Films comments:

“This is a great opportunity for Arrow to be able to represent one of the finest and considered labels in the UK. I have been a long-time admirer of Second Run for its curated approach to distribution, its distinct brand and for its many accolades and awards it collects each year. We are excited to be able to represent Second Run’s rich catalogue at this special point in time for the company”

——————————————–

Mehelli Modi, Second Run Founder, comments:

“As we enter our second decade as an independent label, Second Run is really fortunate to begin working with Arrow Films to represent our sales and distribution. As well as being an exemplary sales company, in the past few years Arrow have become one of the very top labels for the discerning cinephile – showing clear focus, an excellent choice of films and presenting their work in the best possible editions.

Arrow’s whole-hearted understanding of a curated label such as Second Run clearly shows me that we will be in good hands – they have even released films from Second Run’s own wish-list! I really believe that this alliance with Arrow will provide us with a wider reach for our films and more opportunities for the filmmakers we work with – which is exactly what Second Run exists to try and do.

As a totally independent label, it has also given us the confidence to make our first foray into Blu-ray, with the release in March 2016 of Pedro Costa’s award-winning and extraordinary film Horse Money.

All this makes the next ten years of Second Run even more exciting to contemplate.”

——————————————–

To launch this new arrangement, Second Run will be releasing Something Different / A Bagful of Fleas: Two films by Věra Chytilová on 29th February; and on 14th March 2016 Second Run will release their first Blu-ray title, Horse Money.

Forthcoming releases from Second Run include the early works of Joshua Oppenheimer (director of Oscar-nominated The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence), Apichatpong Weerasehakul’s stunning debut feature Mysterious Object at Noon and Ján Kadár & Elmar Klos’ Oscar-winning Czech film The Shop on the High Street.

perkizitore

#41 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:08 am

Great news! I hope this means we can buy Second Run releases from the Arrow Store soon.

TMDaines

#42 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 am

Hopefully this news will allow more Second Run type films to make their way to Blu-ray.

McCrutchy

#43 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:10 am

TMDaines wrote:Hopefully this news will allow more Second Run type films to make their way to Blu-ray.
I am hoping exactly the same thing.

Bikey

#44 Post by Bikey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:50 am

Available to pre-order now on Blu-ray and DVD at 'Special Early-Bird' prices at the Arrow Video webstore

What A Disgrace

#45 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:04 am

- Presented from a brand new, director approved 1080 HD master.
- Pedro Costa s short film O nosso homem (2010), presented from a new, director approved 1080 HD master.
- Filmmaker Thom Andersen introduces Horse Money.
- Pedro Costa in conversation with Laura Mulvey at the ICA Cinema, London.
- Horse Money Trailers and Teasers
- Booklet featuring essays on the film by Jonathan Romney and Chris Fujiwara.
- Original Portuguese and Kabuverdianu soundtrack in DTS-HD master audio & 2.0 Stereo LPCM

Looks like a healthy release indeed; practically stuffed by Second Run's standards. I hope this release is a big success so we can get more of this.
New and improved optional English subtitles

Bikey

#46 Post by Bikey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:29 am

Full details of our HORSE MONEY DVD and Blu-ray release now up at at our website

Bikey

#47 Post by Bikey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am

"A richly rewarding experience that haunts the mind long after viewing"
Cine-Vue on HORSE MONEY

Bikey

#48 Post by Bikey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:14 am

"Many movies have aspired to the quality of dreams but Costa is maybe the first director to make a film with the genuine rhythms of a shifting nocturnal subconscious... No wonder, then, that that essential label Second Run should choose to make this their first foray into Blu-Ray, a format that shows Costa's undeniable visual brilliance to its best advantage; indeed, when coupled with the generous special features, this is one of the best releases of the year thus far."

James Oliver reviews HORSE MONEY at MovieMail

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#49 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 am

The first film to feel like a dream? What is it about Costa that makes critics leap so quickly to extreme hyperbole?

Great film though. Possibly the first great film. :-"

What A Disgrace

#50 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:56 am

What is it with all these disc reviews that talk about the movie but barely mention the disc at all?