The Auteurs

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
peerpee
not perpee

The Auteurs

#1 Post by peerpee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:11 pm

We're getting into bed with the good folk at The Auteurs.

MoC titles are now appearing at their groundbreaking site (UK & Eire only)

kidc85

Re: The Auteurs

#2 Post by kidc85 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:36 pm

I'd love to finally see the restoration of Vampyr but what's the quality like of it on The Auteurs site? Is it a decent representation of the DVD image (although not perfect, obviously)?

peerpee
not perpee

#3 Post by peerpee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Watch some of the free films they have for viewing and see what you think! :)

Sanjuro

#4 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:15 pm

The Auteurs page seems really good. I watched The Housemaid and several trailers, was pretty impressed with the quality on offer and got ready to break out my credit card for a night of auteur fetishism. Until I investigated further and was hit with a cinematheque full of films 'not available in your area'. Obviously I was expecting that in the first place, I used to be Pandora fan, but The Auteurs genuinely seems to be trying to do something about it.

There's a reassuring message saying they're "working hard to acquire the rights to show the films anywhere in the world" but isn't that just a wild fantasy? I mean, I'd love to believe that some day I could actually rent high quality streaming Criterion and Masters of Cinema DVDs. But it's never going to happen is it? Until it does I just have to keep blind buying import DVDs. (There's the 'other' option of course, but I convince myself that it's bad to steal from small companies like MOC and I should stick to what's on at the local multiplex or Japanese films).