It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:25 am
It seems like this topic would have already come up, but my searches have been fruitless. Please direct me elsewhere if need be…

I only recently became region-free, and am curious which MoC titles people in North America (or elsewhere) consider the most worthy of import. I understand that there are many great MoC releases, but would like to hear which ones importers were most happy to sacrifice currency conversion and shipping fees in order to obtain.

Obviously everyone has different criteria, but here are some reasons that come to mind:

1. Better Source material/transfer (and accompaniment in the case of silents) compared to other releases.
2. Superb selection of features.
3. It's not even out in the US and it's an important piece of cinema history!


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:07 pm
Location: the emerald empire
Here's a place to start. That topic's qualifier is not-Criterion- rather than MoC-specific, but I'd say a plurality of the recommendations are geared towards MoC/Eureka and BFI releases, and most are certainly non-R1.

Also, DVDBeaver's Top 100 DVDs and reasons to go region-free should be helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:25 am
Thanks, Poncho. These sites will come in handy as I delve into the region-free world. Too bad that Polish Dekalog release looks to be unavailable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:30 am
nsps wrote:
I understand that there are many great MoC releases, but would like to hear which ones importers were most happy to sacrifice currency conversion and shipping fees in order to obtain.

If you are in the US, the current exchange rate makes most MoC titles better deals than Criterion discs. Most MoC discs are listed between £9.98 and £15.98 on Amazon.uk; that range decreases to between £8.49 and £13.60 once V.A.T. is deducted (which Amazon.uk does for US customers). At today's exchange rate, that means that the prices of these MoC discs fall between $13.08 and $20.96. Shipping is £3.08 ($4.75) for the first disc, then £0.99 ($1.53) for each additional disc. I'm not sure why many people think MoC discs are so much more expensive than Criterions, but there you are.

nsps wrote:
1. Better Source material/transfer (and accompaniment in the case of silents) compared to other releases.
2. Superb selection of features.
3. It's not even out in the US and it's an important piece of cinema history!

My recommendations, in each of your groups, are:

1. Kwaidan (183m version not available in US; better transfer); Rocco and His Brothers (better transfer), La vie de Jésus (better transfer); Frau im Mond (beautiful transfer);
2. Faust (includes domestic version and export version); Michael (includes US version and European version); (Also, all of their silents have inter-titles in the original language);
3. Humanity and Paper Balloons, The Naked Island, Naruse Volume 1, Judex, L'Enfance-nue . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:40 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 am
Add all the unavailable Mizoguchis to the list, even if you might have to double-dip on "Sansho" and "Ugetsu"; these other films are really worth it. MoC's "Akasen Chitai" very obviously beats the barebones Eclipse disc in the extras department and is a must have even if you already have the "Fallen Women" set.
If you don't already have the CC "Vampyr", you might consider the MoC version, too. Wonderful booklet, partly different extras, and exceedingly good del Toro commentary in addition to Rayns.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:30 am
Tommaso wrote:
Add all the unavailable Mizoguchis to the list, even if you might have to double-dip on "Sansho" and "Ugetsu"; these other films are really worth it. MoC's "Akasen Chitai" very obviously beats the barebones Eclipse disc in the extras department and is a must have even if you already have the "Fallen Women" set.
If you don't already have the CC "Vampyr", you might consider the MoC version, too. Wonderful booklet, partly different extras, and exceedingly good del Toro commentary in addition to Rayns.

Agreed. The Mizoguchi sets and Vampyr are all wonderful. And I'm sure I'll be adding L'Argent to the list once it arrives . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:25 am
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Lots of stuff out there... I do already have the CC Vampyr, so I'll probably be picking up some other material beforehand—even though that del Toro commentary is tempting. L'Enfance Nue, L'Argent, Toni, the Mizoguchis and the Keaton shorts are among my most likely first MoC purchases. (Thanks to zedz for the suggestions as well.)

reno dakota wrote:
If you are in the US, the current exchange rate makes most MoC titles better deals than Criterion discs. Most MoC discs are listed between £9.98 and £15.98 on Amazon.uk; that range decreases to between £8.49 and £13.60 once V.A.T. is deducted (which Amazon.uk does for US customers). At today's exchange rate, that means that the prices of these MoC discs fall between $13.08 and $20.96. Shipping is £3.08 ($4.75) for the first disc, then £0.99 ($1.53) for each additional disc. I'm not sure why many people think MoC discs are so much more expensive than Criterions, but there you are.

Good point. Part of it (for me, anyway), is that you can't rent UK discs. Criterion prices at a premium, so with movies that I'm not that interested in and/or haven't seen yet, it's nice to have the option to rent for a small fee. Thanks for the VAT info, too, by the way. Good to know that it's deducted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:03 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm
Great MoC sale from the horse's mouth here, including the Pialats, Vampyr and cheapest-ever-apart-from-misprices Naruse, Keaton and Shoah sets.

They offer free shipping within the UK, which implies that the sale also applies to overseas buyers, but I can't seem to get international shipping to register on check-out. Can anybody confirm or deny that this isn't UK only?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best to Import?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:30 am
zedz wrote:
They offer free shipping within the UK, which implies that the sale also applies to overseas buyers, but I can't seem to get international shipping to register on check-out. Can anybody confirm or deny that this isn't UK only?

I posted a note about that here.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection