Fake MoC Covers

The gossip on MoC. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Awesome Welles
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 am
Location: London

Fake MoC Covers

#1 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 am

I just came across a mock cover I made a while back for Il Caso Mattei and thought I'd share it. I'm not the greatest designer and this was a quick affair in MS Paint so...

Image
Last edited by Awesome Welles on Wed May 28, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a.khan
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:28 am
Location: Los Angeles

#2 Post by a.khan » Sun May 25, 2008 1:29 am

Sir, you don't give yourself enough credit -- that's a fantastic cover. Nice job!

I guess, about time we have a Fake MoC Cover thread.

User avatar
Awesome Welles
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 am
Location: London

#3 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 28, 2008 10:57 am

Image

Again.. in Paint. I must learn how to use Photoshop.

User avatar
Cinephrenic
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:58 pm
Location: Paris, Texas

#4 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Is that a Cronenberg film? :lol:

User avatar
Felix
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: A dark damp land where the men all wear skirts

#5 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 1:42 pm

a.khan wrote:Sir, you don't give yourself enough credit -- that's a fantastic cover. Nice job!

I guess, about time we have a Fake MoC Cover thread.
Agreed on both counts, well almost on the second count, perhaps an area for home made covers? Moderators?

I guess there are quite a few of us here who buy grey DVDs without covers and it would be good to have a resource for people who don't have the time or skills to do their own. I do all mine on Powerpoint so I doubt I could post them as single docs like these but perhaps in a separate area which would take attachments? (the other advantage of that is that people could then take them and modify them to suit themselves). I like doing it so much that I sometimes do my own covers for legitimate releases, Redemption DVDs in particular, and I am reckoning on the same for the French Von Sternbergs I have just ordered. In my case, sod MoC (in the nicest possible way), i have my very own DVD label, albeit very much in the MoC/Kino format.

Recent additions to my "label" are a series of Fritz Lang In America, Murnau's Die Gang In Die Nacht, Haunted Castle, and Die Brennende Acker, and Ozep's Living Corpse.

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Posts: 1849
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

#6 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Felix wrote:
a.khan wrote:Sir, you don't give yourself enough credit -- that's a fantastic cover. Nice job!

I guess, about time we have a Fake MoC Cover thread.
Agreed on both counts, well almost on the second count, perhaps an area for home made covers? Moderators?

I guess there are quite a few of us here who buy grey DVDs without covers and it would be good to have a resource for people who don't have the time or skills to do their own. I do all mine on Powerpoint so I doubt I could post them as single docs like these but perhaps in a separate area which would take attachments? (the other advantage of that is that people could then take them and modify them to suit themselves). I like doing it so much that I sometimes do my own covers for legitimate releases, Redemption DVDs in particular, and I am reckoning on the same for the French Von Sternbergs I have just ordered. In my case, sod MoC (in the nicest possible way), i have my very own DVD label, albeit very much in the MoC/Kino format.

Recent additions to my "label" are a series of Fritz Lang In America, Murnau's Die Gang In Die Nacht, Haunted Castle, and Die Brennende Acker, and Ozep's Living Corpse.
Don't be bashful Felix. Get your Murnaus out fer the boys!

User avatar
Awesome Welles
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 am
Location: London

#7 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Felix wrote:...well almost on the second count...
I made it in my lunch break I was just experimenting and when I was finished I thought it looked ok. I too am a little unsure on it now.
Felix wrote:i have my very own DVD label
I'm with you on this one, I find it annoying that when I follow a strand, say started by a legitimate release and then I want to pursue that directors work further (recently Imamura and Oshima) I can't so I have to resort to bootlegs, and why not house them in nice covers? That said I haven't gotten round to designing any (expect housing my BoYing Kurosawa's in mock BFI cases). I must say however that I always replace bootlegs with official releases when they become available.

Badering
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Norway

#8 Post by Badering » Wed May 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Alright for others to post covers too? I'll throw in something I just did.

Image

:)

User avatar
Felix
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: A dark damp land where the men all wear skirts

#9 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote: Don't be bashful Felix. Get your Murnaus out fer the boys!
Well, I would quite happily but I don't know how to. Because they are comprised of multiple items on each cover I don't think I could copy and paste but if anyone has any ideas...
FSimeoni wrote:
Felix wrote:...well almost on the second count...
I made it in my lunch break I was just experimenting and when I was finished I thought it looked ok. I too am a little unsure on it now.
Felix wrote:i have my very own DVD label
I'm with you on this one, I find it annoying that when I follow a strand, say started by a legitimate release and then I want to pursue that directors work further (recently Imamura and Oshima) I can't so I have to resort to bootlegs, and why not house them in nice covers? That said I haven't gotten round to designing any (expect housing my BoYing Kurosawa's in mock BFI cases). I must say however that I always replace bootlegs with official releases when they become available.
No,no, when I said on the second count I meant on the fake MoC covers, not on the quality of your cover which I think is very high, ditto Badering's one. These are far more professional and polished than mine.

The point about the ones I do is that I think anyone could do the same very easily. I am using basic Office tools, nothing fancy, and finding original posters from online, film reviews or articles ditto, and screenshots from online or my own DVD.

I would like to say I replace every boot with legit releases and I do if I have enjoyed them (any of the ones I mentioned would be automatic) but some just haven't hit the mark for me. But I do think that providing one's intentions are honourable and one is buying an honourable quantity of legit releases as well, and I am very often buying 20 per month, then it is justifiable to buy a few where they are not otherwise available. Hello. Napoleon... It is a bit like second hand DVDs (I think) But we have hauled this one over the coals so many times...

I have replaced boots with legit releases and kept my boot covers for them though, and all my Redemption ones are legit.

User avatar
Anhedionisiac
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:25 pm

#10 Post by Anhedionisiac » Wed May 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Badering wrote:Image
Perfect by me

jules
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 6:26 am
Location: Croatia

#11 Post by jules » Wed May 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Wow, that cover for a gentle woman is fantastic! Great job! =D>

User avatar
Cinephrenic
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:58 pm
Location: Paris, Texas

#12 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Looks like a Magritte painting. Nice job!

User avatar
Felix
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: A dark damp land where the men all wear skirts

#13 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

jules wrote:Wow, that cover for a gentle woman is fantastic! Great job!
Yup, and if I had the film I'd be copying and pasting this for my cover right now.

User avatar
justeleblanc
Posts: 2688
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Connecticut

#14 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 28, 2008 4:41 pm

That looks amazing! :shock:

Badering
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Norway

#15 Post by Badering » Wed May 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback guys :) Appreciate it!

User avatar
sidehacker
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:49 am
Location: Bowling Green, Ohio
Contact:

#16 Post by sidehacker » Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Excuse #1: I was really bored.
Excuse #2: I did this really fast.

Image

User avatar
Felix
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: A dark damp land where the men all wear skirts

#17 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 5:03 pm

sidehacker wrote:Excuse #1: I was really bored.
Excuse #2: I did this really fast.
Ahem. The more I see, the more pleased I am that I can't post mine... Mind you, mine are complete covers, with spine and reviews and and caps and details so there's your next challenge guys. :)

User avatar
Steven H
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: NC

#18 Post by Steven H » Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Badering wrote:Alright for others to post covers too? I'll throw in something I just did.
If that was official, it would be the best looking Bresson DVD cover on the market by a long shot.

User avatar
Awesome Welles
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 am
Location: London

#19 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Badering wrote:Image
Holy shit that is fucking excellent. I don't think I'll be posting so soon here again. Really impressed. For a second I thought you had the wrong forum and this was a legit release! I would personally amend the font but otherwise faultless.

User avatar
Kinsayder
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: UK

#20 Post by Kinsayder » Wed May 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Yes, really good. But I think MoC would use the original title, or at least include it on the cover.

User avatar
HerrSchreck
Posts: 6324
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 am

#21 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 am

FSimeoni wrote:Image

Again.. in Paint. I must learn how to use Photoshop.
So the restroom for insects is on the left, and the one for women is on the right.

Is this a space station comfort area? Or merely the sign taken from the rest trailer for the extras on the set of Deliverance?

David Locke
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:24 am
Location: Paris, France

#22 Post by David Locke » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 am

Granted, the cover for A gentle Woman is fantastic. But so was the original Czech poster art for this film... :wink:

Image

User avatar
Awesome Welles
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 am
Location: London

#23 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 am

HerrSchreck wrote:So the restroom for insects is on the left, and the one for women is on the right.

Is this a space station comfort area? Or merely the sign taken from the rest trailer for the extras on the set of Deliverance?
Ah, gimme a break. It was my first cover made up of something that isn't someone else's poster, made in my lunch break. I will revisit this cover soon, tell me what you think of it then.

Badering
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Norway

#24 Post by Badering » Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 am

David Locke wrote:Granted, the cover for A gentle Woman is fantastic. But so was the original Czech poster art for this film.
Heh, yeah. I immediately fell in love with that poster :)

User avatar
Kinsayder
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: UK

#25 Post by Kinsayder » Thu May 29, 2008 6:43 am

Image Image Image

Post Reply