Non-MoC Eureka Titles

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Finch

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles?

#76 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:13 am

I got my Lone Wolf set today: the artwork on the box and each keep case is wonderful, and I love the original Japanese posters in the inlays - very nicely put together. The menu design is very good as well; this is one aspect where the Eureka set is far superior to the AnimeEigo discs. I sampled a few scenes from Sword of Vengeance very briefly: the print is cleaner than the R1 and the colours are even stronger (perhaps a bit too much so as far as skin tones are concerned). That said, this may be exactly like it was always intended. I can't wait to delve into this set properly this weekend when I find more time but this could easily end up on my Releases of The Year list.

TMDaines

#77 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:27 am

I can't find any reviews of Eureka's Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow release and I am just wondering whether the Italian subtitles are optional or not, and whether there are any extras on the disk?

peerpee
not perpee

#78 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 am

The Eureka YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW subtitles are optional, the transfer is OAR, progressive, and anamorphic - ie. pretty glorious (from HD). I oversaw this one. No extras.

TMDaines

#79 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:19 am

peerpee wrote:The Eureka YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW subtitles are optional, the transfer is OAR, progressive, and anamorphic - ie. pretty glorious (from HD). I oversaw this one. No extras.
Damn! I was hoping the subtitles were going to fixed and the transfer terrible so I didn't feel inclined to purchase it during the sale. :P

cana7cl

#80 Post by cana7cl » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:49 pm

peerpee wrote:The Eureka YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW subtitles are optional, the transfer is OAR, progressive, and anamorphic - ie. pretty glorious (from HD). I oversaw this one. No extras.
Peerpee, why didn't it make the MoC mainline?

peerpee
not perpee

#81 Post by peerpee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 pm

We didn't fall in love with it, I'm afraid.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 am

I watched this a few months ago, but could hardly remember it at all - so I dug out my Sight & Sound review as a memory-jogger:
Film: This won Vittorio De Sica the third of four Best Foreign Film Oscars, but it's nowhere near the level of Shoeshine, Bicycle Thieves or The Garden of the Finzi-Continis. Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni play three different couples in contrasted social and economic circumstances, but as with most portmanteau efforts (and despite writing credits listing Eduardo de Filippo, Alberto Moravia and Cesare Zavattini), it's a mixed bag. 'Adelina', the film's lively Neapolitan section (in which a legal loophole is exploited by multiple pregnancies) is fun but overlong, while the Milanese 'Anna' is short and inconsequential, with De Sica aping the feel of Antonioniesque ennui without matching the underlying cinematic language. But the Rome-set 'Mara' is worth the wait, a delectable comedy of manners about a high-class prostitute (Loren) whose apartment borders that of an earnest young seminary student - but their relationship doesn't develop along the lines one might expect.

Disc: The anamorphic Techniscope picture looks terrific, but the sound has pronounced hiss.

peerpee
not perpee

#83 Post by peerpee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm

btw. THE COMPLETE LONE WOLF & CUB BOXSET is a limited edition, there is limited stock, and we won't be repressing the boxset, Eureka will be reissuing them singly in 2010. Get the boxes while you can!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002MPTIYK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankinho007

#84 Post by Frankinho007 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Are there plans to release more classic US catalog titles in 2010 outside the MoC through Eureka!, like "Flesh and Fury" or "Souls at Sea"?

peerpee
not perpee

#85 Post by peerpee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:25 pm

At the moment - no.

Frankinho007

#86 Post by Frankinho007 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:48 pm

peerpee wrote:At the moment - no.
Thanks for your fast answer.

Ashirg

#87 Post by Ashirg » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 pm

I posted a comparison/review at DVD Beaver and Eureka's set is highly recommended.

brendanjc

#88 Post by brendanjc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 pm

I hadn't realized the Eureka Lone Wolf and Cub box was NTSC Region 0, can someone confirm? If that's the case, it seems based on the one response earlier in this thread comparing both boxes that it's the set to own for R1-locked folks, and it's cheaper than the R1 set to boot right now.

manicsounds

#89 Post by manicsounds » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 am

So will the Lone Wolf set be divided into individual releases in the future?

tojoed

#90 Post by tojoed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:36 am

manicsounds wrote:So will the Lone Wolf set be divided into individual releases in the future?
peerpee, six posts above wrote:btw. THE COMPLETE LONE WOLF & CUB BOXSET is a limited edition, there is limited stock, and we won't be repressing the boxset, Eureka will be reissuing them singly in 2010. Get the boxes while you can!

manicsounds

#91 Post by manicsounds » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:46 am

My mistake....
I guess that's what happens when you only skim through....

It's amazing that in Japan, the individual films cost 5000 Yen at retail, which is about the same cost as the UK Boxset.....

Finch

#92 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:03 am

peerpee wrote:Eureka will be reissuing them singly in 2010.
While I love the set and have come to reevaluate parts four and six, I am a bit annoyed at this development since I asked about individual releases a few pages back and was told that only Shogun Assassin would be released singly. Either Eureka have not been upfront about this or changed their mind after the set was out. I'd like to think it was the latter.

peerpee
not perpee

#93 Post by peerpee » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:55 am

At the moment, we're not sure what we're going to do, but single releases of the LONE WOLF films are looking less likely now. Sorry for the confusion.

colinr0380

#94 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:51 pm

DVD Beaver review comparing the Lone Wolf collection with the earlier Artsmagic release.

Sanjuro

#95 Post by Sanjuro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 am

manicsounds wrote:My mistake....
I guess that's what happens when you only skim through....

It's amazing that in Japan, the individual films cost 5000 Yen at retail, which is about the same cost as the UK Boxset.....
But we get to rent them for 100 yen or watch them on TV for free (ish).

Finch

#96 Post by Finch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Nice write-up of the Ogami Itto set at DVDTimes (again though, no mention of how it compares to the AnimEigo releases: personally, after having seen them all, I *think* the Eureka discs look marginally superior)

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/72 ... oxset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lamourderer

#97 Post by Lamourderer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 am

Someone has probably asked this already somewhere else but... are there any plans for Eureka to release more Japanese flicks from the 60s or 70s in themed box sets? I have loved Hanzo the Razor and Female Prisoner sets and just ordered Lone Wolf and Cub, waiting it eagerly to arrive. For example Zatoichi or Tora-san sets would be most appreciated.

jbaart

#98 Post by jbaart » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 am

Question about The Black Shield of Falworth. I just got this in the mail and although I knew it had no bonus it still got me thinking. Why is there no trailer? So I searched the net and indeed, no trailer to be found anywhere. How can this be? Don't tell me they didn't have a trailer for their first CinemaScope film, that can't be true.

Eureka

#99 Post by Eureka » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 am

jbaart wrote:Question about The Black Shield of Falworth. I just got this in the mail and although I knew it had no bonus it still got me thinking. Why is there no trailer? So I searched the net and indeed, no trailer to be found anywhere. How can this be? Don't tell me they didn't have a trailer for their first CinemaScope film, that can't be true.
Apparently Universal do not have one...

We do however have one for this and it will be present on our release:

released 22nd April on DVD and Blu-ray.

TMDaines

#100 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 pm

I love that cover.