MoC: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Deals

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
moebius

#76 Post by moebius » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Just write a mail to wow. I did so too. Hopefully they get these terrific titles

Kudzu

#77 Post by Kudzu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:53 pm

They actually are on the site. It's just that they don't have the "Masters of Cinema" phrase in the title and they aren't in the MoC section. Just search for the titles alone.

moebius

#78 Post by moebius » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:10 am

Thanks for the avice I got it !

TheWatcher

#79 Post by TheWatcher » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:13 pm

They actually are on the site. It's just that they don't have the "Masters of Cinema" phrase in the title and they aren't in the MoC section. Just search for the titles alone.
AFAIK, the items in CD WOW!'s "Warehouse" section aren't actually "at hand", but are ordered from distributors. That's why the prices are higher and take longer to be dispatched than normal. At least, that's what happened with my copy of Faust.

Kudzu

#80 Post by Kudzu » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:00 am

The copies that I'm getting, though, are showing up in regular stock now on the US website version though there isn't even an option for the Warehouse section going through the US portal. Did you buy yours from the regular section and then have them tell you that it wasn't on hand?

TheWatcher

#81 Post by TheWatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:03 am

It took about a week from order to dispatch for my Faust to come through, when it was listed in the warehouse function, whereas other DVDs and CDs I order without going through the warehouse are usually dispatched within two days. The prices shown in the warehouse also fluctuate, presumably because of exchange rates. The Aussie version mails their discs from Hong Kong(!), so I'm guessing they get their stock either from other CD-WOW! mailing centres or direct from US/UK distributors.

addz

#82 Post by addz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:45 pm

zone_resident wrote:Pitfall is currently GBP 9.99 at Benson's World.
It's £10.99 now, but that's still cheaper than Play.com where I usually buy my MoC titles.

AND The Holy Mountain is only £9.99! This is the cheapest I've ever seen it online. Most sites usually have it up permanently at £17.99.

moebius

#83 Post by moebius » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 am

Yeah this is a real bargain, made a list of some on my blog

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#84 Post by Lemdog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:37 am

addz wrote:
zone_resident wrote:Pitfall is currently GBP 9.99 at Benson's World.
It's £10.99 now, but that's still cheaper than Play.com where I usually buy my MoC titles.

AND The Holy Mountain is only £9.99! This is the cheapest I've ever seen it online. Most sites usually have it up permanently at £17.99.
I was about ready to jump on this unil I saw this

Delivery to the rest of the world is now GBP 5.00 per disc.

When did they raise their shipping rates?

zone_resident

#85 Post by zone_resident » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:22 pm

Should be a fairly new policy. Sigh. That takes them practically out of competition for North America shipments. CD-wow! and Blahdvd still ship for free. And I guess DVDi.co.uk too, but I haven't had any shopping experience with them.

Bleddyn Williams

#86 Post by Bleddyn Williams » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:01 pm

Lemdog wrote:Delivery to the rest of the world is now GBP 5.00 per disc.
Funnily enough, its still listed as GBP 1.00 per disc on the shipping info page - but I put Holy Mountain in my cart and was astounded to see the disc for 9.99 and TEN POUNDS SHIPPING!

Surely a mistake?

TheWatcher

#87 Post by TheWatcher » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Just a quick heads-up for Aussie CD-WOW customers. They've increased their inventory and lowered their prices to an even $A26 across the board. Although "Funeral Parade" and "Shoeshine" are still listed only the warehouse, "Fantastic Planet", "Kwaidan", "Faust" and "Abhijan" are immediately available, as are a bunch of the older discs. Now, let's bombard 'em with requests for a little Buster... ':D'

zone_resident

#88 Post by zone_resident » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:21 pm

Bleddyn Williams wrote:
Lemdog wrote:Delivery to the rest of the world is now GBP 5.00 per disc.
Funnily enough, its still listed as GBP 1.00 per disc on the shipping info page - but I put Holy Mountain in my cart and was astounded to see the disc for 9.99 and TEN POUNDS SHIPPING!

Surely a mistake?
I saw this message 28 days later.

There is no mistake; they charge five pounds per disc.
Holy Mountain has two discs.

I no longer place orders with Bensons World for that reason. Sigh..

BrightEyes23

#89 Post by BrightEyes23 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:18 am

wow, i used to do ALL my R2UK purchasing from Bensons...this is really a shame, looks like they've lost my business for good.

zombeaner

#90 Post by zombeaner » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:07 am

BrightEyes23 wrote:wow, i used to do ALL my R2UK purchasing from Bensons...this is really a shame, looks like they've lost my business for good.
In case you were wondering, from bensonsworld.co.uk:

"Shipping Rates
Delivery within the UK and for BFPO customers is FREE.
Delivery to Europe is GBP 1.00 per disc or GBP 1.75 per VHS Tape.
Delivery to the rest of the world is now back to GBP 1.00 per disc."

Gordon

#91 Post by Gordon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 pm

A fiver for shipping? That would have been nasty; I'm glad that they saw sense. Quality site. =D>

kinjitsu

#92 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks for the email, we have had to increase the postage costs temporarily as the royal mail has drastically increased our rate for international shipping, we are using a different means of sending DVDs now to bring this back down, so postage is now back down to 1 GBP per disc.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Bensons World

Matango

#93 Post by Matango » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Just ordered Naruse Vol 1 on Amazon UK too. It's even cheaper without the VAT if u live overseas, and the shipping is cheap - same price as for a single disc.

Mikio Naruse - Three Films

Subtotal of Items: £31.91
Postage & Packing: £3.58
------
Total for this order: £35.49

davebert

#94 Post by davebert » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Yeah I was considering holding off until CD-Wow puts it in their MoC section for American customers, where other titles hit a very reasonable $19.95 each (with free shipping). But seeing as how Shoeshine hasn't even arrived there yet, perhaps I'll splurge and take my business elsewhere... Price comparisons/deals certainly welcome!

Matango

#95 Post by Matango » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:11 am

HMV stores in Hong Kong are probably the worst place on the planet to buy Criterions. They charge the HK$ equivalent of US$34/46 for the US$29.95/39.95 discs. Fortunately there are plenty of other outlets here charging far less.

TheGodfather

#96 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:18 am

Matango wrote:HMV stores in Hong Kong are probably the worst place on the planet to buy Criterions.
I`m talking about HMV UK ;) They are pretty good, although sometimes overpriced 8-)

yukiyuki

#97 Post by yukiyuki » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:04 am

davebert wrote:Yeah I was considering holding off until CD-Wow puts it in their MoC section for American customers, where other titles hit a very reasonable $19.95 each (with free shipping). But seeing as how Shoeshine hasn't even arrived there yet, perhaps I'll splurge and take my business elsewhere... Price comparisons/deals certainly welcome!
xploitedcinema.com is one of the best palce to buy region 2 dvd in US i guess, they have MoC's SHoeshine.

tryavna

#98 Post by tryavna » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:08 pm

yukiyuki wrote:
davebert wrote:Yeah I was considering holding off until CD-Wow puts it in their MoC section for American customers, where other titles hit a very reasonable $19.95 each (with free shipping). But seeing as how Shoeshine hasn't even arrived there yet, perhaps I'll splurge and take my business elsewhere... Price comparisons/deals certainly welcome!
xploitedcinema.com is one of the best palce to buy region 2 dvd in US i guess, they have MoC's SHoeshine.
If you don't mind regularly paying about 50% more than you would by buying from Amazon.co.uk or CD-Wow or other international e-tailers that ship to North America.

yukiyuki

#99 Post by yukiyuki » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:22 pm

tryavna wrote:If you don't mind regularly paying about 50% more than you would by buying from Amazon.co.uk or CD-Wow or other international e-tailers that ship to North America.
are there any other cheaper places to buy MoC DVD online besides those 2 sites?

tryavna

#100 Post by tryavna » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:26 pm

yukiyuki wrote:
tryavna wrote:If you don't mind regularly paying about 50% more than you would by buying from Amazon.co.uk or CD-Wow or other international e-tailers that ship to North America.
are there any other cheaper places to buy MoC DVD online besides those 2 sites?
Both BlahDVD and Bensons World come out as being cheaper than Xploited Cinema. (Though Blah's prices for MoC titles vary much more widely than most other e-tailers and Bensons' shipping prices might cancel out the savings, depending on where you live.) Also, don't forget the Marketplace sellers on Amazon.co.uk. They give you a fairly nice range, though shipping prices again tend to reduce savings a bit.