preorder

Release date: 4-12-2006
Availability: available for pre-order
Number of Discs: 1
Catalogue Number: EKA40231
Label: EUREKA

Paul Moran

#102 Post by Paul Moran » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:59 am

Here's a good UK price checker, which also includes a price watch/wish list function.

Lots of MoC stockists in UK, but not all ship outside UK or Europe, of course.

I've pre-ordered the Naruse set from HMV for £29.99 delivered (say $57), using one of their many frequent promo vouchers, but I'll monitor up to release in case another supplier undercuts them significantly.

TheGodfather

#103 Post by TheGodfather » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:35 am

Ordered mine last night at HMV as well :D How did you get the voucher, if you don`t mind my asking? :oops:

Japanophile

#104 Post by Japanophile » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:12 am

Just pre-ordered mine at amazon.co.uk. Can´t wait... Since Ozu is my favorite director - I´m anxious to see my first Naruse film.

And Volume ONE, could there be any better news than that?! =D> I´ll definitely be watching out for MoC´s Mizoguchi releases as well!

Excellent work, Nick - keep it up!

Paul Moran

#105 Post by Paul Moran » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:49 am

TheGodfather wrote:Ordered mine last night at HMV as well :D
How did you get the voucher, if you don`t mind my asking? :oops:
I actually got it legitimately as a result of a "qualifying" purchase in October.

But discount codes are posted regularly on this UK bargains site (look in the Vouchers Forum)

You will need to register, but it is free.

TheGodfather

#106 Post by TheGodfather » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:23 am

Thanks ;) yeah I got that e-mail from them as well that you can get a three pound voucher when you pre-order in october, but I forgot to make use of it #-o #-o

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#107 Post by Caligula » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:21 am

Buster Keaton set is down to 34.99 GBP at Amazon.co.uk; 29.78 GBP (excl VAT) if you order from overseas...

Sparks

#108 Post by Sparks » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Punishment Park is only £7.99 at Cdwow.
Last edited by Sparks on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamie_summers

#109 Post by jamie_summers » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:38 am

has anyone seen any bargains recently?
cheapest i've seen seems to be a few on amazon marketplaces...

lazier than a toad

#110 Post by lazier than a toad » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:14 am

Tartuffe for 6.99 delivered at play.com, and in stock.

manicsounds

#111 Post by manicsounds » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:28 am

List prices for many MoC titles are at 11.99 or 10.99 at amazon uk,
where others are listing them at 19.99, usually.

Did they get a price reduction, or is it just amazon listing it like that?

cgray

#112 Post by cgray » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:45 pm

Paul Moran wrote:But discount codes are posted regularly on this UK bargains site (look in the Vouchers Forum)

You will need to register, but it is free.
thanks a lot. have only done a handful of international orders, all through amazon.co.uk

just ordered the R2 satantango through cd-wow.us, with the $2 voucher shown on the page Mr. Moran linked to... total was $30.95. seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

andysavestheday

#113 Post by andysavestheday » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 pm

So where can I get the best deals on MOC releases? I'm in the USA (KY) and I just found a region hack for my DVD player, so I'm itching to try it out...I'm also itching to see that trippy looking animated movie "Fantastic Planet."

Is cdwow my best bet? Any help would be appreciated.

sevenarts

#114 Post by sevenarts » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:26 pm

andysavestheday wrote:So where can I get the best deals on MOC releases?
FIND DVD: just search for the ones you want there to see which etailer is cheapest.

peerpee
not perpee

#115 Post by peerpee » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:00 pm

andysavestheday wrote:So where can I get the best deals on MOC releases? I'm in the USA (KY) and I just found a region hack for my DVD player, so I'm itching to try it out...I'm also itching to see that trippy looking animated movie "Fantastic Planet."

Is cdwow my best bet? Any help would be appreciated.
MoC FANTASTIC PLANET is NTSC R0, so it won't exactly test your new region hack very well.

andysavestheday

#116 Post by andysavestheday » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 am

peerpee wrote:MoC FANTASTIC PLANET is NTSC R0, so it won't exactly test your new region hack very well.
Well that's good news, I always get a little nervous with the word "hack" anyways, never tried it before.

How does the exchange rate work? Does your credit card company charge a conversion fee? Is $20 shipped a good price for an MoC? What's a good average price to pay for a MoC shipped? I'm working on a college student budget here and I've got some birthday money I need to blow on something besides pot. Err, I mean, books.

I've never ordered anything from overseas (except that bootleg DVD from Korea off ebay, but that was an accident) and you wonderful folks are so knowledgable and I am so lazy, so please, enlighten me. Or better yet, just order some good DVDs for me. oh man, sorry, it's late.

Cinesimilitude

#117 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:26 am

because CD-WOW doesn't charge shipping to anywhere in the world, they are best for cost, although its not the fastest. I think I waited 2 weeks for St Francis to arrive to Canada. If you use mastercard, I know they take whatever the exchange rate is and charge the exact amount, no additional fees. and yes, 20$ shipped is a pretty good price for an MoC, although I only paid a pound for St Francis, and 7$ for the criterion dvd of "The River", cause sometimes CD-Wow has crazy markdowns, AND let you pile on vouchers.

Gregory

#118 Post by Gregory » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:25 am

I currently have three different Mastercards and two of them charge fees for foreign currency transactions. It just depends on the terms and conditions of the credit card agreement. Obviously one way of avoiding this problem is ordering from the CD Wow site in one's own currency, and lately they are usually all pretty much about the same, at least on the items I've checked.

tryavna

#119 Post by tryavna » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Gregory wrote:I currently have three different Mastercards and two of them charge fees for foreign currency transactions. It just depends on the terms and conditions of the credit card agreement.
I have one Mastercard and one Visa, and the Mastercard charges a small conversion fee while the Visa does not. I think it boils down to which bank issues the card. If you have a Capital One Visa, you're golden. I've never been charged an extra fee by them for foreign-currency ordes, and their exchange rates are extremely reasonable.
Obviously one way of avoiding this problem is ordering from the CD Wow site in one's own currency, and lately they are usually all pretty much about the same, at least on the items I've checked.
Yeah, CD-Wow seem to have resolved their old discrepency between UK and US prices, so you might as well order in dollars. (I also find that delivery time is slightly shorter if you do -- by about two days.)

However, when you order from Amazon.co.uk, you still need to know what you credit card does. Just give them a call and ask.

manicsounds

#120 Post by manicsounds » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 am

SncDthMnky wrote:they are best for cost, although its not the fastest. .
Depends on where you live. Usually for me, it takes literally 2 days after despatch for orders to come to my door, from Hong Kong to Japan.

andysavestheday

#121 Post by andysavestheday » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:01 pm

Thanks guys for the help, I ordered Fantastic Planet for like $18 shipped. I found a $2 voucher for being a new customer. I'm excited.

addz

#122 Post by addz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Cheap prices galore currently at Benson's World. Great opportunity to start plugging the gaps in your collection which is what I'm planning to do.

andysavestheday

#123 Post by andysavestheday » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 pm

What do the prices on average come out to on Benson's World into US dollars? How's shipping (both price and packaging/time)? They seem like pretty good deals if I'm British, but how bout for if I am American?

daniel p

#124 Post by daniel p » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:59 pm

andysavestheday wrote:What do the prices on average come out to on Benson's World into US dollars? How's shipping (both price and packaging/time)? They seem like pretty good deals if I'm British, but how bout for if I am American?
If you can be either, I'd say you'd be better off being British...

denti alligator

#125 Post by denti alligator » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Gone are the days of amazing prices in US dollars at CDwow for MoC discs. Now to get the Keaton box or Shoah I've got to pay upwards of $100 for these. At amazon.co.uk, with the horrible exchange rate, it's not much better.

Where can I get either of these releases for a decent price?