MoC Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Lino

#76 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:03 pm

It seems to have somewhat changed:

ImageImage

...for the worse, maybe? Those japanese words are smothering the main picture and just what is the Shochiku symbol doing up there now?

Satyajit's Son

#77 Post by Satyajit's Son » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:44 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Nick has continually proved that he can do amazing jobs at designing DVD covers (the Shindos are a perfect example of that) so I do hope he reconsiders a second, alternative cover for The Expedition. It can't be that hard to better it, I'm sure. Sometimes the simplest of principles are also the most effective.
Finally! Someone agres with me. Thanks Annie Mall =D>

peerpee
not perpee

#78 Post by peerpee » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:47 am

Whichever way you look at it... the ABHIJAN sleeve is very faithfully based on the original poster art. That means a lot to us. If it's cluttered, it's because the original poster was cluttered. We don't know for sure that Ray designed, or approved of this poster, but he may have done and we'd rather have it than some text slapped over a still --- any day.

I believe the great Criterion covers (8OUDU, MON ONCLE, PICKPOCKET, etc) are all based on original poster art --- the lesser Criterion covers (IMO) are stills with text slapped on them (LE NOTTE BIANCHE, THE CHILDREN ARE WATCHING US) or overcooked, completely-new, Photoshop fantasms (BAD TIMING, GATE OF FLESH).

We're simply trying to use original poster art wherever possible. If anyone has any better ideas for adapting the original ABHIJAN poster, please let us know! (we're looking at changing the font to Ray's patented Roman font)

Satyajit's Son

#79 Post by Satyajit's Son » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:57 am

I'm going to buy this film no matter what

Jem

#80 Post by Jem » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:34 am

Well said peerpee.

I think the ABHIJAN sleeve / poster is quite strong, the image of the man between the rocks is pretty curious.
It also has a nice hand made textural feel to it as well, probably because the original poster was silk screened. I also like the colour combinations, quite subtle and beautiful. I don't mind the font used as it holds together well as a block against the script (which is the best feature).

If I was to change anything it would be to remove the portraits.
I imagine they worked better on a large poster, but on a smaller DVD they are a bit lost and overly complex.
Though in saying that, if the purpose was to match or compliment the original poster, then MOC have done an excellent job.

Lino

#81 Post by Lino » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:17 am

peerpee wrote:I believe the great Criterion covers (BOUDU, MON ONCLE, PICKPOCKET, etc) are all based on original poster art
Yes, you are right - but in those cases, it worked. Just as it works on MoC's Sunrise, Faust or Prisoner of Shark Island. And like I said before, I'm all for it as I love vintage poster art.

There are great Satyajit Ray film posters out there (Devi is one such example) but this particular one doesn't strike me as especially effective. I'm sorry for being so blunt but I hope you can at least appreciate my sincerity. Heck, we bitch about Criterion covers all the time to no results - it's great to have some kind of feedback in this case!

However, Jem has made a very nice suggestion: to try and remove at least the portraits from the main picture - that would make it simpler and more to the point. They seem to be distracting us from what is really going on.

(Just a thought but just because it is the original poster art, that doesn't make it instantly "right" or "great" - God knows there have been some really terrible attempts at trying to promote a film by way of a poster advertisement. Here is such an example.

bunuelian

#82 Post by bunuelian » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:57 pm

Unfortunately, almost every Bergman film was promoted with terrible poster art. The German poster for The Silence was nice, and there are a couple others, but the vast majority are worthless.

godardslave

#83 Post by godardslave » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:21 pm

Annie, just go and work in MoC's Art department already. :p

Lino

#84 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:33 pm

Here's hoping that MoC will use this poster art for Kwaidan.

tryavna

#85 Post by tryavna » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Annie, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. That poster seems much too "busy" to me. Though I love the image on the bottom half. Perhaps if MoC used that image -- and just got rid of all the floating heads...

nyasa

#86 Post by nyasa » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:43 pm

The top half has got a bit of a 'straight-to-video' vibe about it.

Lino

#87 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:59 pm

tryavna wrote:Annie, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not.
No, I was being serious. All the other posters I've dug up are not very good. This one however, seems to fit my bill, anyway.

Jem

#88 Post by Jem » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:36 pm

What about these?

ImageImage

Lino

#89 Post by Lino » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:35 am

The top left one is nice.

Narshty

#90 Post by Narshty » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:18 pm

Some kind of Japanese scroll art might be a nice idea.

Anonymous

#91 Post by Anonymous » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 pm

It would be nice if the cover used the font (including the man holding the letter) of the second poster, and I also like the image from the first poster.

Jem

#92 Post by Jem » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:30 pm

Annie Mall wrote:The top one is nice.

Agreed, the silhouetted woman image is great, beautifully shot and quite 'spooky'.

criterionsnob

#93 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:06 am

daniel p

#94 Post by daniel p » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:25 am

oooooh I like, I like... very classy indeed... can't wait to get this one.

Jem

#95 Post by Jem » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Very strong indeed, I love it.

dang

#96 Post by dang » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:43 pm

about those horrible bbfc classification logos that were discussed on the first page of this thread. i have a suggestion, or two...

what if you printed the image on both sides of the cover, without the logos on the flipside? i'd certainly love that...

or if that's not doable, you could include the untainted cover as a hi-res image in a dvd-rom folder, so it can be printed. i know, i know, i can scan, manipulate and print, but it will never be as good.

i don't really understand i know that they are required by law to have classification logos on the cover.

my suggestion is that on one side they print the cover WITH the horrible logos, but when you take it out and turn it over you have the cover WITHOUT the logos. i can't see how they are required by law to have the logos on both sides.

just my 2 cents.

bunuelian

#97 Post by bunuelian » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Excellent point, dang. The labeling can only be for purposes of informing consumers looking at the packaging. However, I suspect the added cost of printing double sided labeling would probably require a small price-hike, and that would outweigh the unfortuante blemish caused by the labeling.

Lino

#98 Post by Lino » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:50 am

MoC DVD covers already are double-sided if you haven't noticed, guys. The DVD cases are transparent.

Jem

#99 Post by Jem » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:15 am

dang wrote:about those horrible bbfc classification logos that were
You think that's bad, look what labelling is required in Australia!

Gordon

#100 Post by Gordon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:53 pm

In my opinion, the certificate should only be next to the bar-code on the back cover. That's the only place that the chashier looks at when you buy/order the DVD.

Other than this, life in Britain is great. :wink: