Non-MoC Eureka Titles

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles

#276 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Stigmata is indeed awful. Not "End of Days" awful but not far away.
I've seen the trailer for The Olive Tree and though reviews seem very good, the trailer makes the movie looking like it has one of the silliest premises. It certainly didn't make me want to go and see it.

rapta

#277 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:49 pm

tenia wrote:Stigmata is indeed awful. Not "End of Days" awful but not far away.
I've seen the trailer for The Olive Tree and though reviews seem very good, the trailer makes the movie looking like it has one of the silliest premises. It certainly didn't make me want to go and see it.
Well maybe next time I'm tipsy and skimming through Netflix I'll give it a go (probably with some mates). Obviously no need to ever get it if I don't even enjoy it in a novelty way!

I just took a look at the trailer for The Olive Tree, and assuming it's the same one you're talking about (this?) it certainly isn't a very well-made trailer. Or at least, it has that over-emphatic stock trailer music playing over most of it so you can't really get a good feel for it. It looks like a sales trailer though, as it says 'now in post production' at the end of it.

It looks similar in tone to last year's The Rocket in some respects and might be a surprising little drama. I just noticed it has been written by Paul Laverty, who has written almost every Ken Loach film for the last two decades. Even more interesting is that the director (Iciar Bollain) also did the film Even the Rain (starring Gael Garcia Bernal and Luis Tosar) which I actually have a copy of somewhere but never got round to watching. I remember hearing good things about it though, hence why I picked up a copy.

That said, it doesn't look as compelling as Aloys, Creepy or even Sweet Bean. But I guess it's just down to tastes. It's nice to see Eureka are still interested in tapping into international cinema that might otherwise fall by the wayside (or in all honesty, get picked up by Metrodome for a barebones DVD that'll be £3 in a few months).

PS: just looked up Iciar Bollain and now I understand why I was getting deja vu watching the trailer for this film after watching the new BFI trailer for Victor Erice's El Sur - Bollain actually starred in that film as the little girl! Looks like Erice and that film in particular might have had quite the effect on her own filmmaking...

L.A.

#278 Post by L.A. » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:20 am

L.A.

#279 Post by L.A. » Thu May 03, 2018 11:21 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#280 Post by tenia » Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am

L.A. wrote:Marty @ Beaver
Does anyone know if indeed / why the UK disc is 4 minutes shorter ?

Finch

#281 Post by Finch » Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 pm

PAL speedup?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#282 Post by swo17 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Blu-rays aren't in PAL format.

MichaelB

#283 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 04, 2018 10:31 am

swo17 wrote:Blu-rays aren't in PAL format.
And even Eureka’s DVDs are NTSC, unless the material originated at 25fps.

PfR73

#284 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:06 pm

According to DVDCompare: "As with the DVD editions and the French Blu-ray, this presentation of Marty is short a four minute scene featuring Clara and her parents reportedly present on the VHS release but only restored to Kino's US Blu-ray and DVD. Presumably this was not an accidental deletion as the ~89 minute running time reflects the length of the film's UK theatrical release."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#285 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

And here you go. Thanks for the link explaining what's what.

M Sanderson

#286 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Had to say it, but George Romero’s not a Master of Cinema? Regarding the upcoming Monkey Shines Blu ray.

Mr. Deltoid

#287 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm
Had to say it, but George Romero’s not a Master of Cinema? Regarding the upcoming Monkey Shines Blu ray.
Well, it would be a bloody awful film to induct him on! Between Arrow and Criterion all his good films are taken, with the exception on Dawn/Martin (and they are going nowhere 'til Rubinstein comes to his senses!)
Don't get me wrong, I love a good psychotic-primate movie (Night of the Bloody Apes was the first region 1 DVD I ever imported - talk about priorities!) but Monkey Shines is a drag. It's a good premise, but poorly executed, with a pace so lethargic it proves fatal. The same situation was done and dusted in half an hour in the underrated anthology horror The House on Terror Tract, with Bryan Cranston battling a helper-monkey in a much more entertaining fashion (weirdly, Cranston was also terrorised by a helper-monkey in an episode of Malcolm in the Middle as well, which must be some sort of record!).

M Sanderson

#288 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 am

Ha, you make a strong case. And, I’m guessing, an off the shelf transfer that will be lucky to be really good.

Romero’s direction did become listless during this period (namely, his contribution to Two Evil Eyes).

Still, Monkey Shines does have its admirers, and Kim Newman wrote this for Romero’s obituary “Monkey Shines is still underrated - Ann Billson was right when she tagged it as a better film about disability than My Left Foot, but it’s also a perfectly judged suspense film with a strangely sympathetic menace in the helper monkey gone mad.”

dwk

#289 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 am

I don't think it was his direction becoming listless, it was that he didn't get to properly finish editing his films because money was tight or gone (The Dark Half doesn't even have finished effects because Orion basically went out of business before the film was finished with post.)

M Sanderson

#290 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:18 pm

I look forward to revisiting so I can have a more current opinion, having not seen since the mid ‘90s on videotape. Might get along with Shout Factory’s upcoming Creepshow, for the sake of Romero completism.

Yes the unfinished Dark Half effects are unfortunate and jarring (similar to, although not as bad as Schrader’s alternate Exorcist sequel).

colinr0380

#291 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 pm

So what you are all saying is that with respect to Monkey Shines the Simpsons did it better?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#292 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Ribs

#293 Post by Ribs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Picnic coming in February.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#294 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Nice, I can sell my TT edition for like three times what this will cost

MichaelB

#295 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Mr. Deltoid wrote:
M Sanderson wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm
Well, it would be a bloody awful film to induct him on! Between Arrow and Criterion all his good films are taken, with the exception on Dawn/Martin (and they are going nowhere 'til Rubinstein comes to his senses!)
By contrast, I have absolutely no problem with Yuen Woo-ping getting an MoC nod since Drunken Master is undoubtedly one of his best. And while he’s never going to rival Bergman or Lubitsch, he’s certainly a master of a particular kind of cinema.

FrauBlucher

#296 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 am

What A Disgrace

#297 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Also Roger Spottiswoode's Under Fire.

Apperson

#298 Post by Apperson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:07 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#299 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am

Getting tired of this crap. :|

What A Disgrace

#300 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 pm

I guess that's one Twilight Time I'll be keeping.