MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
FrauBlucher

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3526 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Drucker wrote:Where did you see that?
Here. I'd be surprised if this wasn't under the MoC label.

rockysds

#3527 Post by rockysds » Tue May 26, 2015 7:10 am

Eureka pre-orders up on Amazon for Medium Cool (presumably a MoC release) and The Town that Dreaded Sundown .

What A Disgrace

#3528 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 am

More importantly - The Cruel Story of Youth is also up for preorder.

rapta

#3529 Post by rapta » Tue May 26, 2015 9:04 am

rockysds wrote:Eureka pre-orders up on Amazon for Medium Cool (presumably a MoC release) and The Town that Dreaded Sundown .
Indeed, fantastic news! A title I was regularly suggesting...it seems Eureka are mopping up a few Paramount titles before the negotiations with licensing their titles gets a little more complicated when Universal take over distribution from July. So I'm very happy they picked this one! Fingers still crossed for Malick's Days of Heaven...

Medium Cool is confirmed as an MoC title on their Facebook page, by the way. My guess is The Town That Dreaded Sundown will certainly be a Eureka Classics title, and Oshima's Cruel Story of Youth will be MoC.
What A Disgrace wrote:More importantly - The Cruel Story of Youth is also up for preorder.
Glad to see their continuing with quality Japanese titles (60's/70's). I'm more aware of later Oshima titles, but this still interests me - I wonder if they'll get The Sun's Burial as well? I almost bought it on DVD a few months ago.

Calvin

#3530 Post by Calvin » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am

I'd love to see them mimic their Imamura releases with Oshima, and pair Cruel Story of Youth with A Town of Love and Hope (w/ Tomorrow's Sun as an extra). I haven't heard of that one being restored though.

Aunt Peg

#3531 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 am

I'm really wishing for an Oshima triple of Death by Hanging, Boy & The Ceremony.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3532 Post by Drucker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:34 pm

I believe when Masters of Cinema released their list of top selling releases a few years ago, Kwaidan was on that list. I wouldn't be surprised, therefore, to see it upgraded by them, as well as Criterion.

rapta

#3533 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Drucker wrote:I believe when Masters of Cinema released their list of top selling releases a few years ago, Kwaidan was on that list. I wouldn't be surprised, therefore, to see it upgraded by them, as well as Criterion.
I'd be very happy if they did upgrade it. The only DVD title they've upgraded since I bought the DVD (my first MoC purchase) has been Kuroneko. We already have a few Shindo Blu-ray's from them, but only one Kobayashi...this would be an excellent addition to their Blu-ray catalogue!

I can't get enough of that 60's Japanese horror...heck, any Japanese title Eureka have released to date I have snapped up (unless it's firmly OOP and hard to get hold of...like Pitfall, Scandal, the Naruse set, or the Female Prisoner Scorpion trilogy). I'd be so grateful if they did release Kwaidan as well as Criterion - if the DVD did sell as well as you said, I'm sure we'll see it being added to the lineup within the next year!

EDIT: Eureka just announced two new titles for October that are joining Masters of Cinema...Cornel Wilde's THE NAKED PREY (1965) and John Frankenheimer's SECONDS (1966), both as Dual Format editions. The latter we already knew was coming but the former is a surprise (not heard of it before). Both are Paramount titles, so I wonder if these are the last of them or Paramount (via Universal) are proving to be more co-operative than expected at the moment? I hope we get to see something like Malick's Days of Heaven or Weir's Witness show up...they're genuinely my two most-wanted titles to join MoC.

TMDaines

Re: MoC Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on

#3534 Post by TMDaines » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:22 am

CSM126 wrote:Image
Roll on 2016 for MoC...

andyli

#3535 Post by andyli » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 am

Hurray! Now that they start picking up a few titles in the Olive deal, one can hope The Sun Shines Bright, Force of Evil, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Johnny Guitar, etc. are on the way, with glorious subtitles and extras.

rapta

#3536 Post by rapta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 pm

andyli wrote:Hurray! Now that they start picking up a few titles in the Olive deal, one can hope The Sun Shines Bright, Force of Evil, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Johnny Guitar, etc. are on the way, with glorious subtitles and extras.
I'm pretty sure these are part of their Paramount deal, not a deal with Olive Films.

Anyway, if they're going to be releasing Paramount titles that Olive have already released, I'm hoping for several - The Pawnbroker, Child's Play, Macbeth, Uptight, That Cold Day in the Park, The Slender Thread, and maybe some Ophüls (Caught, Letter From an Unknown Woman). Rio Grande, High Noon and Johnny Guitar are with Universal in the UK, but Eureka could still very well license them and perhaps even access the Paramount masters - Universal now control Paramount's international distribution (as of July).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3537 Post by Drucker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:04 pm

If they improve on the transfers (especially The Quiet Man and Johnny Guitar) then this would be very welcome. Otherwise, nothing too exciting quite frankly.

EddieLarkin

#3538 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Johnny Guitar has since been remastered in 4K (and widescreen, at last), so that would be a good one to go for.

Calvin

#3539 Post by Calvin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Though Republic titles are generally with Universal rather than Paramount in the UK, aren't they?

HJackson

#3540 Post by HJackson » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Calvin wrote:Though Republic titles are generally with Universal rather than Paramount in the UK, aren't they?
I believe so, although The Quiet Man is a Republic title that has been with Universal for a long time but is now on DVD from Paramount in the UK - and the MoC is presumably licensed through Paramount based on the lack of a Eureka logo on the cover art.

Eureka deal with both Paramount and Universal anyway so I don't think there are any great obstacles to them putting out Republic titles. I am speaking from complete ignorance of their actual dealings though, of course. Maybe Universal own the films in the UK but can't access good elements, as with their RKO titles.

Of course A New Leaf is a straight-forward Paramount picture, ala Nashville, so I'm not sure why this has sparked discussion of Republic. Was Republic even operating when A New Leaf was made?

Since we're discussing it though, I wonder who owns Borzage's sublime masterpiece Moonrise in the UK. It's a Republic title but I believe Olive weren't able to access it in their deal with Paramount?

rapta

#3541 Post by rapta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 pm

HJackson wrote:
Calvin wrote:Though Republic titles are generally with Universal rather than Paramount in the UK, aren't they?
I believe so, although The Quiet Man is a Republic title that has been with Universal for a long time but is now on DVD from Paramount in the UK - and the MoC is presumably licensed through Paramount based on the lack of a Eureka logo on the cover art.

Eureka deal with both Paramount and Universal anyway so I don't think there are any great obstacles to them putting out Republic titles. I am speaking from complete ignorance of their actual dealings though, of course. Maybe Universal own the films in the UK but can't access good elements, as with their RKO titles.

Of course A New Leaf is a straight-forward Paramount picture, ala Nashville, so I'm not sure why this has sparked discussion of Republic. Was Republic even operating when A New Leaf was made?

Since we're discussing it though, I wonder who owns Borzage's sublime masterpiece Moonrise in the UK. It's a Republic title but I believe Olive weren't able to access it in their deal with Paramount?
As I briefly mentioned above, even if they are Universal titles in the UK it could still mean Eureka could release them...and possibly even access the Paramount masters/materials. I say this because Universal have recently been appointed as home video distributor for all of Paramount's catalogue, starting in the UK (since July of this year)...hence the sudden influx of Paramount tiles from Eureka. So it's not like it would be a huge inconvenience or conflict of interest - but it might not be as straightforward as that.

I asked Eureka about it and they basically implied that's why they're releasing so many Paramount titles at the moment - they must've struck a deal with them just before this change happened, because it would likely get trickier and more bureaucratic after said change. So they must've signed these off with Paramount prior to July when the changes took effect.

Anyway yes and no as far as Republic titles go - it could be possible (as I just explained), but it could also be a huge headache in terms of certain rights clashing. You never know...some films with complicated studio histories have been licensed before in the UK (such as Sidney Lumet's Network by Arrow Video, and I'm sure there have been others). It could end up being too difficult or expensive though, so fair enough if they had already tried to license films like Johnny Guitar and Rio Grande but they proved too awkward to try and get out there. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Werdegast

#3542 Post by Werdegast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:39 pm

It was a long time since MoC had some silents released on blu(Tolerance December 2014 was the last one I think). I was hoping they would have been interested in Zur Chronik Von Grieshuus or Varité from the FWMS's restorations. But it seems like my hope was in vain for those releases.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3543 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Werdegast wrote:It was a long time since MoC had some silents released on blu(Tolerance December 2014 was the last one I think). I was hoping they would have been interested in Zur Chronik Von Grieshuus or Varité from the FWMS's restorations. But it seems like my hope was in vain for those releases.
I think it's still very possible that Variety will come out from MOC. And hopefully the delay is due to commissioning a score that won't drive people nuts, which is apparently what happened with the German blu ray.

Werdegast

#3544 Post by Werdegast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Drucker wrote:
Werdegast wrote:It was a long time since MoC had some silents released on blu(Tolerance December 2014 was the last one I think). I was hoping they would have been interested in Zur Chronik Von Grieshuus or Varité from the FWMS's restorations. But it seems like my hope was in vain for those releases.
I think it's still very possible that Variety will come out from MOC. And hopefully the delay is due to commissioning a score that won't drive people nuts, which is apparently what happened with the German blu ray.
I hope you are right about Varieté because the the picture quality looked superb but as you mention the Donald duck soundtrack sounded awful. I was hoping for a release of Arthur von Gerlach´s Grieshus also because if remember correctly Lotte Eisner wrote that she valued his film quite high. But maybe the film itself is a bit too unknown for MoC to release. :(

Tommaso

#3545 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Well, in the old days they'd have brought Nick's father into the studio to play some decent music for "Varieté", and that would have been that. Probably they have to go another route nowadays, but if they really have a plan to put it out with different music, I hope they can also slow down the film by two or three frames. It definitely runs a little bit too fast in the new resto (whereas the old TV recording from the 80s that I've seen has perfect fps, I think).

As to "Grieshuus": yes, the director (Arthur von Gerlach) may not be terribly well known, but still this is a major UFA production. And the TV broadcast of the new resto looks fabulous.

But I guess MoC will at least put out the new resto of Lang's "Der müde Tod/Destiny" which FWMS are currently producing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: MoC Facebook & Twitter

#3546 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:16 pm

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, A TOUCH OF ZEN, and
There will be a third and final @eurekavideo release for Jan, which will be released as a EUREKA CLASSIC, announced tomorrow at 4pm...

Finch

#3547 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:50 pm

Disappointed in this announcement: More King Hu is always welcome but Friends of Eddie Coyle? This would have seemed a more logical choice for the Eureka Classics line-up. If that's the sort of titles they licenced from Paramount, I hope they're done very soon with their licences.

Ashirg

#3548 Post by Ashirg » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Amazon has a 5-disc Ninja Trilogy on pre-order from Eureka for January 18. I wonder if it's the third title.

Finch

#3549 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:45 am

I think I read somewhere that Muriel didn't sell well for MoC but I'd like them to try more Resnais just the same: Je t'aime je t'aime would be a good addition, especially if they can fix the teal & orange of the Kino which doesn't feel right. And since they got Andre De Toth in the collection, they could look into getting Pitfall (depending on who owns in the UK).