MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

The gossip on MoC. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
TheGodfather
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: MoC Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on

#3151 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Not all too thrilled about the line-up, except for La Notte wich`ll look great on BD

Perkins Cobb
Posts: 2449
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3152 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

I've had a long dry spell with MOC but the Yamanaka set will definitely break it (actually though, I'll get La Poison first), and the Kawashima would also be a must-buy if I hadn't just seen it in a theater recently. Well done.

User avatar
swo17
Posts: 13495
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3153 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Pages are now live for all the recent MoC announcements (perhaps they have been for a few days) and I thought it worth mentioning that the Yamanaka, Kawashima, and Clouzot all promise "more extras to be announced closer to release date."

User avatar
ellipsis7
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3154 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:46 am

Rosi's SFIDA now out on a lovely BR from Cristaldi (with Ital subs)... Maybe worthy of a release from MoC (with Eng subs), there is also a ready made extra in these two pieces (part 1 and part 2) showing the film's Neapolitan locations then and now...

User avatar
Drucker
Posts: 4082
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3155 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 am

swo17 wrote:Pages are now live for all the recent MoC announcements (perhaps they have been for a few days) and I thought it worth mentioning that the Yamanaka, Kawashima, and Clouzot all promise "more extras to be announced closer to release date."
This release date has now been pushed back to May 20th it appears.

User avatar
triodelover
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: The hills of East Tennessee

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3156 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 am

Drucker wrote:
swo17 wrote:Pages are now live for all the recent MoC announcements (perhaps they have been for a few days) and I thought it worth mentioning that the Yamanaka, Kawashima, and Clouzot all promise "more extras to be announced closer to release date."
This release date has now been pushed back to May 20th it appears.
For the Clouzot. The others are unchanged, according to Amazon.

User avatar
Drucker
Posts: 4082
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3157 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 am

According to Facebook, the Yamanaka is also delayed.

Calvin
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3158 Post by Calvin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

With Eureka releasing Dead Head, could we potentially see some MoC releases that have been licensed from the BBC?

User avatar
Drucker
Posts: 4082
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3159 Post by Drucker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm

So since we're still waiting for an announcement date, and there's been rumblings about some some project shifting by the team, I just wanted to see: what are we still waiting on?

Last we checked, Tabu and Muriel were listed in catalogs as forthcoming in a dual-format edition.

Fritz Lang's Indian Films were mentioned, and there is an HD release available, so that certainly seems like it could be upgraded.

We know they are working on Birth of a Nation.

Anything else that we know/have reason to believe is on the table? People always seem to bring up Sirk, but Criterion and MoC seem to shoot those down as unlikely or not planned.

User avatar
swo17
Posts: 13495
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3160 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Muriel is no longer on the table, at least not the dinner table. The table it was sitting on got a broken leg and had to be moved to another room until it could be repaired. No one noticed at the time that Muriel was hidden under a blanket. Tabu might be under there as well.

User avatar
TMDaines
Posts: 3677
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3161 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:50 pm

I got tweeted in Nov 2011 that there were no Langs or Murnaus lined up for the next two years and that they were fully booked up with 40 titles for that period. They did say, in reference to the unreleased silents, that "[they'd be] "merely DVDs ... when we get round to them" so there's obviously a desire to get them out there. A Blu upgrade of Lang's Indian film(s) was "not ruled out, but not in the oven" either.

I just hope that if we are going to be seeing a lot more Gaumont stuff, that it's stuff where the French Blu-ray doesn't have English subtitles.

User avatar
andyli
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3162 Post by andyli » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 pm

I am also wondering if they are ever gonna upgrade the other four Mizoguchi films. Since they are now only available in a box set and I already own the first two blu-ray releases, it's semi-redundant for me to order the DVD set.

acf171072
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3163 Post by acf171072 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 am

andyli wrote:I am also wondering if they are ever gonna upgrade the other four Mizoguchi films. Since they are now only available in a box set and I already own the first two blu-ray releases, it's semi-redundant for me to order the DVD set.
Indeed. Blus of La Beaute du Diable, La Main du Diable, Le Ble en Herbe, Eyes Without a Face, Les Maudits, to name but a few. [-o<

Gaumont also have restorations in the pipeline for the 1925 and 1934 Les Miserables and Blus of those would be nice as an MoC as can't see Criterion being interested enough in an upgrade when the 1934 was only put in an Eclipse.

Would also like to see some more Japanese rarities like Bakumatsu Taiyo-den. Some unseen Ichikawa (The Crowded Streetcar, The Hole, Punishment Room), unseen Masumura (The Wife of Seishu Hanaokai, A False Student, The Hot Little Girl, Play it Cool), or any Yoshimura (The Ball at the Anjo House, Sisters of Nishijin, A Tale of Genji). Anything with Ayakao Wakao (Niigata Bamboo Doll, Diary of a Mad Old Man, Women Are Born Twice). I was lucky enough to see Anjo House and Genji with English subs and they're extraordinary.

User avatar
Lowry_Sam
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3164 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 pm

acf171072 wrote: Gaumont also have restorations in the pipeline for the 1925 and 1934 Les Miserables and Blus of those would be nice as an MoC as can't see Criterion being interested enough in an upgrade when the 1934 was only put in an Eclipse.
I think it was an Eclipse release because the condition of the print wasn't very good. I could see Criterion deleting the Eclipse in favor of a Blu-Ray of a restoration of the best version of Les Miserables, particularly now after the musical has made it to film.

evillights
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:47 pm
Location: U.S.
Contact:

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3165 Post by evillights » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:47 pm

acf171072 wrote:Would also like to see some more Japanese rarities like Bakumatsu Taiyo-den.
Our release of BAKUMATSU TAIYŌ-DEN comes out in about six weeks.

acf171072
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3166 Post by acf171072 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 pm

evillights wrote:
acf171072 wrote:Would also like to see some more Japanese rarities like Bakumatsu Taiyo-den.
Our release of BAKUMATSU TAIYŌ-DEN comes out in about six weeks.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. #-o I know Bakumatsu is coming, been high-fiving ever since announcement. I meant would like to see some more like Bakamatsu (that is to say, in addition to). Any Kawashima. [-o<

Flanell
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 am
Location: Gothenburg

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3167 Post by Flanell » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:01 am

If i understand it correctly, the (wonderful) Pialat editions released by MoC have sold pretty poorly, and upgrades of these to blu has been out of the question. But with these new Gaumont restorations coming out i wonder if that still is the case? Would blu's of these fare better than their dvd counterparts? I definitely would make the upgrade. I know that the french editions are english friendly, but still. I love the care MoC put into their editions and i would love to have them put out on blu by them.

Is the rights for Loulou and Van Gogh still with AE (their DVDs are long oop)? Otherwise it would be nice if MoC at least picked up those two, and maybe Le Garcu and La Maison des bois (admittedly a haven't seen those two and i don't know if they are forthcoming on blue as well).

Anyway, Pialat was totally unknown to me prior to seeing the MoC discs and i would like to take the time to thank Nick and the rest of the MoC team for having them put out in the first place. Watching them were a revelation.

Here's a review of the Nous Ne Vielliirons Pas Ensemble blu;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nous-ne-v ... 51/#Review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
RossyG
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3168 Post by RossyG » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:59 pm

I'd definitely buy the Pialat films on Blu from MoC. If they don't release them, I'll get the Gaumonts, but I'll wait a couple of years to give MoC the time to change their minds.

rwaits
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:24 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3169 Post by rwaits » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 pm

As would I. I own every DVD but would double dip without hesitation.

User avatar
zedz
Posts: 10296
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3170 Post by zedz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Flanell wrote:If i understand it correctly, the (wonderful) Pialat editions released by MoC have sold pretty poorly, and upgrades of these to blu has been out of the question. But with these new Gaumont restorations coming out i wonder if that still is the case? Would blu's of these fare better than their dvd counterparts? I definitely would make the upgrade. I know that the french editions are english friendly, but still. I love the care MoC put into their editions and i would love to have them put out on blu by them.
I'd love to see MoC Blus of these films, but that's the kind of wishful thinking ("the reason nobody bought these discs is that there was a mass market holding out for BluRay upgrades that nobody knew would ever happen!") that sends companies into bankruptcy.

Gaumont adding English subs to their Blus is probably a concession that the English language market for these films will not sustain licensed releases, and my hat's off to Gaumont for going the extra mile. Roll on Le Garcu and (especially) La maison des bois. Now, if MoC want a Quixotic Pialat Blu project to get their teeth into, they couldn't do better than the latter.

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3171 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:30 pm

zedz wrote:
Gaumont adding English subs to their Blus is probably a concession that the English language market for these films will not sustain licensed releases, and my hat's off to Gaumont for going the extra mile. Roll on Le Garcu and (especially) La maison des bois. Now, if MoC want a Quixotic Pialat Blu project to get their teeth into, they couldn't do better than the latter.
Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath as Gaumont have said that they are at the end of their Pialat upgrades so Garcu and Maison aren't on the slate, at least as far as the for-seeable future is concerned.
Van Gogh looks cracking so unless AE still have the rights and are willing to upgrade imminently I'd plump for that if you haven't got it already.

User avatar
zedz
Posts: 10296
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3172 Post by zedz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:46 pm

I will be mopping up all the Gaumont Blus the next time I need to order something from amazon.fr. (Hmmm - those new Mekas titles. . . )

So, it looks like we'll have to start re-lobbying MoC for a semi-suicidal subtitled Maison des bois!

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3173 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Well those Maisons des Bois might well go out in a blaze of glory and possibly immolate MoC at the same time.

User avatar
tenia
Posts: 3465
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3174 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote: Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath as Gaumont have said that they are at the end of their Pialat upgrades so Garcu and Maison aren't on the slate, at least as far as the for-seeable future is concerned.
Jerome Soulet said that they might revisit Passe ton bac d'abord and La gueule ouverte in HD later on (and maybe do a BD boxset at some point), but Le garçu has been deemed too difficult financially and has only been released in the Gaumont à la demande collection.

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3175 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:38 pm

tenia wrote: Le garçu has been deemed too difficult financially and has only been released in the Gaumont à la demande collection.
Really, when did that get released ? I try and keep an eye on all Gaumont releases but that must have slipped past.

Post Reply