87 / BD 7 Soul Power

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 87 Soul Power

#51 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:59 am

frankiecrisp wrote:
swo17 wrote: P.S. Every time you buy a DVD for a film that is available in Blu-ray, you are punishing yourself with lesser PQ. You really should be more fair to yourself.
Not everyone can afford to replace a tv and dvd player everytime a new format comes out. I don't think there is that much difference anyway but I will buy a blue-ray player when I can get a multi region player that I can play my region 1 criterions on but in the meantime I don't think I'm punishing myself buying MOC and Criterion dvds the quality of their dvds is superb.
This post was a few months old, and was in direct response to someone who was complaining about companies "punishing" customers by putting out Blu-rays that were in any way superior to their DVD counterparts (by having exclusive extras), as though having 6 times the resolution didn't count for anything. I was turning his words around on him, see? I still stand by comment.

manicsounds

#52 Post by manicsounds » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:44 am

I preordered this, and it should be coming sometime in the week. The Bluray is gonna be fucking insanely loud in my home. I'm wondering if a CD soundtrack is going to be released. Strange that there isn't. Unless it's under a different name. Oh man, shoulda thought about it....

With most concert or music DVDs I ripped the audio tracks and made them into MP3s.
I guess I can't do that from the Bluray.... d'oh!

perkizitore

#53 Post by perkizitore » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:01 pm

manicsounds wrote:I preordered this, and it should be coming sometime in the week. The Bluray is gonna be fucking insanely loud in my home. I'm wondering if a CD soundtrack is going to be released. Strange that there isn't. Unless it's under a different name. Oh man, shoulda thought about it....

With most concert or music DVDs I ripped the audio tracks and made them into MP3s.
I guess I can't do that from the Bluray.... d'oh!
Don't worry, you will be able to do so in a couple of years.

manicsounds

#54 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:28 am

Um.... so where's the Bluray? Release date and every vendor has none.

In addition from dvdtimes, the Sony USA specs for January 26th:

Priced at $28.96 SRP on DVD and $34.95 SRP on Blu-ray Disc, features are outlined below…
DVD: English DD5.1
Blu-ray: English, Spanish (Latin Am) and Portuguese (Brazil) 5.1
Commentary with Director Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Music/Festival Producer Stewart Levine
Deleted Scenes

cdnchris
Site Admin

#55 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:43 am

I got an e-mail from Amazon saying it was delayed.

peerpee
not perpee

#56 Post by peerpee » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 pm

SOUL POWER DVD and Blu-ray are finished and we had finished product a week ago. There shouldn't be any delay -- I just think the major e-tailers might be very busy at the moment.

FOR ALL MANKIND DVD and Blu-ray too. Everything for 2009 has been completed.

bearcuborg

#57 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 pm

peerpee wrote:Everything for 2009 has been completed.
I saw Soul Power in it's theatrical run here in Philadelphia, I'll be interested to know what went on behind the scenes. Another great year, well done.

manicsounds

#58 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 pm

peerpee wrote:SOUL POWER DVD and Blu-ray are finished and we had finished product a week ago. There shouldn't be any delay -- I just think the major e-tailers might be very busy at the moment.

FOR ALL MANKIND DVD and Blu-ray too. Everything for 2009 has been completed.
Nah, it it delayed. Although I know you work for MoC, on the Bluray.com forum, a Eureka spokesperson said there was a very slight delay with the BDs getting shipped, but he affirmed that they would be available in a day or so. Amazon UK says the 20th.

Eureka

#59 Post by Eureka » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:33 am

manicsounds wrote:Nah, it it delayed. Although I know you work for MoC, on the Bluray.com forum, a Eureka spokesperson said there was a very slight delay with the BDs getting shipped, but he affirmed that they would be available in a day or so. Amazon UK says the 20th.
Amazon physically have stock in their possession, as should all e-tailers, the latest any company should have received them was Monday (16th November). Amazon put the release date back as they didn't receive them the Friday before release, we are currently jumping through hoops to try and get them to despatch them, apologies to all that have been affected by this.

Finch

#60 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 pm

While you're at it, get the e-tailers to hurry up with shipping the Lone Wolf set. I got Mankind today but amazon, play and sendit all seem to be saying that they won't ship Lone Wolf till next week.

Cash Flagg

#61 Post by Cash Flagg » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:39 pm

manicsounds

#62 Post by manicsounds » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Seeing that the BD has DTS-HD 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1 tracks, I'm wondering why the DVD was shafted (in Africa) and got only a Dolby 2.0 track. (As according to DVDBeaver)
I also see that the DVD is Region 0 and in NTSC so there is no PAL-speedup in audio.

I'm glad I ordered the BD. Probably arriving tomorrow or the day after.

MichaelB

#63 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 am

I watched the Blu-ray last night - as expected, it looks and especially sounds absolutely fabulous, and grain fetishists will be in seventh heaven. (I can't imagine how ghastly a digitally smoothed-over version of what is obviously a 16mm original would look like!)

manicsounds

#64 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:16 am

The feature and the sound was incredible. Loved every minute of it.

But why was the extra footage in non-anamorphic widescreen on the Bluray?
Everything is windowboxed on my widescreen TV.

I'm assuming that most people who have BD are watching it on a Wide TV, so I don't know why it makes sense to encode the stuff in a 4:3 letterboxed form.

Is this a cost-cutting measure?

peerpee
not perpee

#65 Post by peerpee » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 am

This is how the director supplied this (unrestored) footage. It had not been through the same HD / colour corrected process as the feature. It prevents this footage being re-edited back into the feature to make a longer version (major labels often include timecode into such roughcut footage also).

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#66 Post by Tribe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Any old school salsa fans who can identify the rest of the members of the Fania All-Stars here? I can see Larry Harlow on piano and Ismael Miranda singing backup in the chorus. One of the other members of that chorus might very well be Hector Lavoe, but I'm not entirely sure. It certainly looks like him.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, the booklet identifies Yomo Toro as a guitarist. However, Toro is playing what is called a "cuatro" and not a guitar. A Puerto Rican cuatro typically has four, eight or ten strings. It's not a guitar, notwithstanding that at first glance it looks like one.

zedz

#67 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Now that's what I love about this forum. After a post like that, Tribe genially assumes that there might be somebody on here who knows more about old school salsa than himself.

The scary thing is, he's probably right (but it ain't me, babe).

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#68 Post by Tribe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:27 pm

I know there are a couple more Puerto Rican members of this Forum who I thought could know...and of course, Herr Schreck hasn't weighed in yet...him being from the capital of Puerto Rico aka The Bronx.

manicsounds

#69 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 am

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Soul-Powe ... view/8208/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony's disc has the commentary (as mentioned before), and looks like 9 deleted scenes, as opposed to 10 on the MoC.

jbaart

#70 Post by jbaart » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:29 am

Hadn't heard about the "missing" commentary yet. That's quite a disappointment to be honest. I will definitely get this anyways, if only for the sake of completeness, but I'll have to wait for a major price drop. I'm not into Soul at all so I'd have loved to get the additional background info from the commentary track. Has anyone had the chance to listen to it and read the MoC booklet yet? Hopefully the book is able to deliver the same or more than the commentary!

MichaelB

#71 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 am

jbaart wrote:Hadn't heard about the "missing" commentary yet.
The reasons for the omission were discussed on the previous page of this very thread.

jbaart

#72 Post by jbaart » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:55 am

MichaelB wrote:
jbaart wrote:Hadn't heard about the "missing" commentary yet.
The reasons for the omission were discussed on the previous page of this very thread.
Thanks. I had already read the previous pages to find out why it's missing. I can somewhat understand the reasons but that doesn't change the fact that the MoC release is not all-encompassing.

peerpee
not perpee

#73 Post by peerpee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:02 am

One could say that a censored commentary track is not "all-encompassing" either. Plus, the Sony disc doesn't have the director video interview.

jbaart

#74 Post by jbaart » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:40 am

Oh absolutely, I'm strictly against censoring. But judging by the review linked above the commentary still is worth listening to. You're right about the video interview too. Which makes it even more of a shame as people who are really interested in this title probably need to double-dip. I'll be a satisfied buyer of your release, and your release only though. Maybe it'll help me to finally "get" Soul!

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:58 am