74 La Gueule ouverte

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
sidehacker

Re: 74 La Gueule ouverte

#26 Post by sidehacker » Tue May 12, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm not a big fan of this one, either. I saw it a couple months back, and aside from a few nice Pialat-ian moments here and there, I found it kind of flat. It could probably use a rewatch, though.

manicsounds

#27 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Aspect Ratio Q:

The main feature is in 1.75:1, while the extras such as the trailer shows the movie in 1.66:1, and actually in much better quality than the main feature. The transfer itself is quite weak, considering now that we've been spoiled by HD releases these days. I know Gaumont France released a few Pialat titles on BD, but this one still hasn't been re-released. I'm wondering if the "1.75:1 Original Aspect Ratio" on the back cover is right, were movies projected at that ratio in Europe at the time?
Last edited by manicsounds on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#28 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 pm

It's a very odd ratio for A European production of that era. 1.66 was standard European widescreen; this is probably just a compromise for widescreen TVs.

Unfortunately, the French Pialat Blus never progressed beyond that first batch. I'd love to see this and the remaining titles from the Coffrets (apart from Le Garcu) get an upgrade.

GaryC

#29 Post by GaryC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 am

zedz wrote:It's a very odd ratio for A European production of that era. 1.66 was standard European widescreen; this is probably just a compromise for widescreen TVs.

Unfortunately, the French Pialat Blus never progressed beyond that first batch. I'd love to see this and the remaining titles from the Coffrets (apart from Le Garcu) get an upgrade.
It's also worth mentioning that Nestor Almendros's book A Man with a Camera gives the OAR of La gueule ouverte as 1.33:1 - which is equally odd as Pialat's other features that I've seen are all 1.66:1. I don't know if Academy Ratio would have been due to Almendros's influence as he did shoot films for Rohmer and others in that ratio. On the other hand all Almendros's films for Truffaut are 1.66:1 and he does specify a preference for that ratio over Academy and 1.85:1 in his book.