73 Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
kinjitsu

73 Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble

#1 Post by kinjitsu » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble

Rare is the film in movie-history that can announce the entire movement of its 'plot' with its title alone. But Pialat's second feature, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble (We Won't Grow Old Together) does exactly that, encapsulating all the turmoil, and the final end-point, of a couple who among themselves once made a commitment—and in living together will come to make another one yet. Jean (Jean Yanne, of Godard's Weekend) and Catherine (Marlène Jobert, of Godard's Masculin féminin) are the couple whose every move charts an advancement deeper into an emotional warzone. Theirs is the classic and the tragic case of an emotional abuse centered around a perplexing, but powerful, interdependency. At last the point arrives that determines the relationship, with all its weekend holidays, its apologies and submissions, can go no further—and, in a final shot of genius, Pialat discloses all the ways in which the future might be at once liberated, and enslaved, by the past. Based on a novel by Pialat himself, and on the trauma of his own personal life in the years leading up to the film, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble was a smash-hit at the time of its release—and yet is arguably one of the most upsetting films ever made. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Pialat's second feature masterpiece, accompanied with an array of supplements, for the first time on DVD in the UK.

- La Camargue (1966) - A short 6-minute essay-documentary by Maurice Pialat on the region in which much of the action of Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble unfolds.
- A 19-minute 2003 video interview with star Marlène Jobert about the film, conducted by Serge Toubiana (former editor-in-chief of Cahiers du cinéma and director of the Cinémathèque Française).
- A 5-minute excerpt from the 1972 Pour le cinéma: Spécial Cannes, featuring interviews with Jean Yanne and Maurice Pialat, both at Cannes, and two scenes deleted from the final film.
- An 8-minute excerpt from the 1972 program Vive le cinéma, featuring François Truffaut in conversation about both Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble and Pialat's earlier L'Enfance-nue, and including two unedited printed takes from the main feature.
- A 12-minute excerpt from another 1972 installment of Vive le cinéma, featuring Maurice Pialat in conversation about the film.
- Original trailer for the film, and trailers for the six other Maurice Pialat features available from The Masters of Cinema Series.
- A lengthy booklet with a new essay by critic, publisher, and former Cahiers du cinéma editor-in-chief Emmanual Burdeau, and newly translated interviews with Maurice Pialat.

sidehacker

Re: 73 Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble

#2 Post by sidehacker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:46 pm

You got my money, Nick.

mikebowes

#3 Post by mikebowes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 am

This has been on my top 3 wish list for a looooong time. Any sense of a street date for this disc?

arsonfilms

#4 Post by arsonfilms » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:33 am

mikebowes wrote:This has been on my top 3 wish list for a looooong time. Any sense of a street date for this disc?
It's slated for October, according to Eureka's site.

Oedipax

#5 Post by Oedipax » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 am

Pialat, eh? Consider it bought :) Although October is too damn far away!

MoC is doing great work.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#6 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Oedipax wrote:Although October is too damn far away
Hopefully the US dollar will fare better re the pound by October. I'm looking forward to getting it!

Cinetwist

#7 Post by Cinetwist » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:13 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Oedipax wrote:Although October is too damn far away
Hopefully the US dollar will fare better re the pound by October. I'm looking forward to getting it!
:shock: Hopefully not, or we wont have a pound for your dollar to fare against! You are aware that it's already down more than 60p from a year and a half ago?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#8 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:50 pm

#-o My bad. I'm just a cheap bastard sometimes. Whatever the exchange rate, I will buy this. I need some more Pialat!

Perkins Cobb

#9 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm afraid I see no reason not to hope for the decimation of another country's economy just to make my import DVDs a little bit more affordable. Currently, I'm praying for the collapse of the yen.

Joke told at a corporate meeting by the stereotypically rich, arrogant douche in charge of my currenty employer:

Q: What's the difference between Iceland and England?
A: Three and a half months.

Bwaaaah!

Anyway, consider me enthused about this particular MOC selection as well.

What A Disgrace

#10 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Specs and release date for both this and Passe ton Bac d'Abord. August 24.

- La Camargue (1966) - A short 6-minute essay-documentary by Maurice Pialat on the region in which much of the action of Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble unfolds.
- A 19-minute 2003 video interview with star Marlène Jobert about the film, conducted by Serge Toubiana (former editor-in-chief of Cahiers du cinéma and director of the Cinémathèque Française).
- A 5-minute excerpt from the 1972 "Pour le cinéma: Spécial Cannes", featuring interviews with Jean Yanne and Maurice Pialat, both at Cannes, and two scenes deleted from the final film.
- An 8-minute excerpt from the 1972 program "Vive le cinéma", featuring François Truffaut in conversation about both Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble and Pialat's earlier L'Enfance-nue, and including two unedited printed takes from the main feature.
- A 12-minute excerpt from another 1972 installment of "Vive le cinéma", featuring Maurice Pialat in conversation about the film.
- Original trailer for the film, and trailers for the six other Maurice Pialat features available from The Masters of Cinema Series.
- A lengthy booklet with a new essay by critic, publisher, and former Cahiers du cinéma editor-in-chief Emmanual Burdeau, and newly translated interviews with Maurice Pialat.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:23 pm

So, this one's a single-disc then?

peerpee
not perpee

#12 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Both August Pialat releases are ramjammed 1-disc editions.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#13 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 am

Those extras look great and this is a film I'm quite excited to see. This is a must-buy despite my earlier quibbles. Thanks for releasing this, peerpee!

jbeall

#14 Post by jbeall » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:08 am

peerpee wrote:Both August Pialat releases are ramjammed 1-disc editions.
Hehheh... he said "ramjammed." Hehheh.

sidehacker

#15 Post by sidehacker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm

DVDBeaver review. I don't think I've ever been more excited for any film than I am for these two from Pialat.

peerpee
not perpee

#16 Post by peerpee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 am

Finished copies in our hands - along with PASSE TON BAC D'ABORD. Both looking really sweet. They're well on track to be in distributor's channels for release date on August 24th.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:52 pm

...and my Sight & Sound review of this and Passe ton bac d'abord has just appeared in print. I'm guessing you won't be entirely displeased with it, what with it being a frothing rave.

peerpee
not perpee

#18 Post by peerpee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm

We're members of a veritable backslapping club! :)

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:05 am

Fortunately, I don't think anyone's seriously going to disagree with what I wrote*! And I didn't even get to see the booklet, so that's something to look forward to.

*Unless they hate the film, but I can't help that.

GringoTex

#20 Post by GringoTex » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:48 pm

artfilmfan

#21 Post by artfilmfan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 pm

This is a very good film. The segment added on to the film at the end gives it a haunting quality, elevating it to another level. This will probably end up as my choice for DVD of the year. To the gang at the Mo', I'd like to say: good job!

GringoTex

#22 Post by GringoTex » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:42 am

Amazing film. These are the original scenes from a marriage. Jean Yanne is a god. I think this Pialat series is MoC's greatest achievement.

artfilmfan

#23 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Watched this again over the weekend and still enjoyed it very much. It's a very well-made film. Would love to see it getting a Blu-ray release.

Ozu Teapot

#24 Post by Ozu Teapot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 am

A great film. I thought it was interesting and a nice touch to see the small walk-on cameo by Micheline Pialat, the real Mrs Pialat played in the film by Macha Meril.

RobertB

#25 Post by RobertB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Just watched the french Blu ray of this film. It gets full marks on blu-ray.com, but if I had checked all the screenshots first I would have known what I was getting. It's been completely tealified. :cry: Anybody who is the least unhappy about making old films teal and orange should stick with the MoC DVD.