48 / BD 133 Rocco and His Brothers

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
mmacklem

48 / BD 133 Rocco and His Brothers

#1 Post by mmacklem » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:38 am

Rocco and His Brothers

From Luchino Visconti the master director of such classics as La terra trema, Bellissima, and The Leopard comes this epic study of family, sex, and betrayal. Alongside Fellini's La dolce vita and Antonioni's L'avventura, Visconti's Rocco and His Brothers (Rocco e i suoi fratelli) ushered Italian cinema into a new era, one unafraid to confront head-on the hypocrisies of the ruling class, the squalor in urban living, and the collision between generations.

A tight-knit family moves from Italy's rural south to metropolitan Milan. The shock of the new is violent and immediate. A mother meddles. A whore beguiles. Brother faces brother. Blood-ties come undone. We pity beatific Rocco (played by the immortal Alain Delon in one of his greatest roles) and Nadia the harlot (Annie Girardot, capricious and scintillating) the modern condition has shattered their lives.

An acknowledged influence on Coppola's The Godfather series (Nino Rota's exquisite Rocco score for Visconti led to working on The Godfather), Scorsese's Raging Bull, and many others, Rocco and His Brothers is a cinematic shock that erupts on the fault-line of emotion. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present one of Visconti's most revered films winner of the FIPRESCI Prize and the Special Prize at the Venice Film Festival in 1960 newly restored to its original Italian-language three-hour form.

Special Features

- 2 x DVD special edition containing a new anamorphic restoration of the film in its fully uncut original 3-hour Italian release version.
- New and improved English subtitles
- Three hours of extras, including newsreels from 1960; lengthy interviews with cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno, and stars of the film Annie Girardot and Claudia Cardinale; the original Italian trailer; and two documentaries – TF1’s Les Coulisses du tournage, and RAI’s hour-long Luchino Visconti.
- 40-page booklet featuring archival imagery, articles by Luchino Visconti (The Miracle That Gave Man Crumbs) and respected Italian film critic Guido Aristarco (The Earth Still Trembles), and a rare interview with Visconti (Questions for the Author) translated into English for the first time.

Jun-Dai
監督

#2 Post by Jun-Dai » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:45 am

mmacklem wrote:<<Spoiler alert>>

I recently saw Rocco and His Brothers for the first time on Monday, and afterwards, I was bothered by something about it and was having a hard time putting together exactly what it was. So I read a bunch of reviews and articles, which for the most part did not help in isolating my problem. After much thought, what I ended up coming up with was the following...

The movie follows the main family, with Rocco and Simone being the extreme points and the other three brothers sort of filling in gaps in the familial spectrum. With the separate chapters for each brother, we see their individual storylines develop and intersect, with the main scene being the rape of Nadia and the fight between Simon and Rocco.

My big problem was that scene, and the treatment of the character of Nadia before and after. Beforehand, she seemed treated as a main character, not one of the brothers but with her own storyline that happened to intersect with the storylines of the others. Her character was well-developed from the screenplay and the performance of Annie Girardot.

However, it seemed as though the rape scene and the ensuing fight seemed to be almost entirely focussed on Simone and Rocco, and treated Nadia as existing outside of the main story, as though the conflict in this scene was entirely about the two brothers, despite the obvious harm done to her. And the movie did not feel as though it knew what exactly to do with her character afterwards, despite the obvious change in her lifestyle and actions. I understand that both Rocco and Simone mistreat her badly in different ways, in part because they each seem to look past her: Simone sees his own needs, and Rocco sees his brother's obvious pain. But my problem is that the movie seems to share their perspective, seeing her character entirely in relation to the conflict between the brothers, despite the effective character development at the beginning of the movie. And the fact that the change in the film's perspective is at the rape scene seems problematic to me, almost as though after the rape the movie itself devalues her character. And this perspective obviously raises flags.

As I mentioned at the outset, the movie itself blew me away, and I was impressed and amazed at the performances (despite Delon's terrible boxing) and the storyline. But still, something didn't quite feel right at the end, and I wanted to find someone else who saw it to see if they could help me rectify the two responses.

Any thoughts?
I believe I've mentioned before that I wasn't very impressed with Rocco and his Brothers. When I first watched the film, I was bothered by the exact point that you bring up: that the film oddly focusses on the brothers' perspective, as though sympathizing with them, in spite of the atrociousness of their actions. While this still bothers me about the film, there was something that bothered me about the film as a whole, which I came to understand later.

While the film is fine at a certain level--it is well-acted, in the mainstream, professional sense; it is nicely photographed; the plot is fairly compelling; etc.--it is also a tremendous letdown from such a masterful director. Luchino Visconti was essentially responsible for bringing neorealism into actuality, and he also constructed a film that was essentially the height of the movement: La Terra Trema. He had perfected more than any other director the process of filming non-actors and constructing a film out of unperformed performances. He helped, as much as Rossellini, De Sica, et al, to define an idea that cinema could be more than theatrical play-acting and stylized photography thrown together; you could take real people, playing out events very close to their real lives, and construct a film that is quite compelling, and somehow more meaningful. Filmmaking could never be quite the same afterwards.

Yet with Rocco and his Brothers, Visconti retains only the style of Neorealism. We are still seeing people living in poverty (though not through the entire film), and we still see uncleaned streets and the cinematography carries a certain neo-realistic grittiness to it. Yet we are also watching actors living out lives very distant from anything that they could ever have lived through (beginning with the fact that Alain Delon, Annie Girardot, and Katina Paxinou are all pretending to be Italian). We are still seeing a very mainstream, Hollywood-ish story. The boxing, while well-executed in some ways, seems like a joke the moment that we try to take it seriously. Annie Girardot is as unbelievable as a whore as any character in film--we would never know that she was one if she hadn't informed us of it.

So by Hollywood standards, the film is excellent. It is epic, it is dramatic, it is nicely photographed, the performers are charismatic (indeed, they have charisma coming out their ears), and the story is suitably executed. Nevertheless, I feel cheated by Visconti, who has made much better film. He was essentially resting on his laurels in putting out something as mainstream and financially successful as Rocco. There's certainly nothing in the film that Scorsese couldn't do better. In any case, I remain comforted by the fact that the success of Rocco allowed him to make The Leopard.

ellipsis7

#3 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:29 am

It's a sort of companion piece to LA TERRA TREMA... Telling a story of what happens to a similar family when it moves from their arduous life in the rural south to the more prosperous urban north of Italy, each brother seeking his own path while struggling to reconcile the poles of their lives, and the mother struggling to keep it all together... The rape is horrific, I remember. sam Rohdie's book in the BFI Classics series is good. It puts the film in context as one of three major breakthrough films at the same time - Antonioni's L'AVVENTURA, Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA - and argues that ROCCO may be more radical than it seems...

Dylan

#4 Post by Dylan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:02 am

I just finished re-watching this film (it's been almost two years since my last viewing). This is a remarkable and flawless piece, beautifully emotional and tragic. To respond to some of the criticisms, Delon's boxing isn't a problem for me personally, he seemed believable enough. Rotunno's photography was very fine, and Nino Rota's score among his masterworks. However, the true brilliance lies in the acting and the script. This doesn't seem like a Hollywood film to me, this is 1960s Italian cinema in its finest, most beautifully realized form.

Now, about Nadia's character. Her introduction is brilliant: running into Simone while hiding from her father, kissing him lightly, leading him to inviting her to his place to keep her warm. Then there's the scene with Nadia after Simone's triumphant boxing match, where she tells the 'lie' about her fully developed body at thirteen and the dentist she had an affair with. The tragedy of her character (besides being a prostitute) is that she does mess around with somebody as ruthless, flawed, and unreasonable as Simone. Rocco is the polar opposite of Simone, not a bit of a scoundral, not a thief, dearly kindrid, more progressively successful, and much better-looking. Simone, to me, seems like the kind of broody guy that could get used by a woman easily, and not the kind that can at all control disappointment or rejection. The scene with Rocco and Nadia drinking coffee in the outdoor cafe is beautiful, with Rocco being the first to sympathize with the beautiful but flawed Nadia. After such a beautiful, romantic period, it is utterly painful and heartbreaking to watch Rocco make Nadia go back to Simone. Family honor certainly has something to do with his decision for that, and that's what makes this story so sad, Rocco doesn't follow his inner love for Nadia, he has too much built-in obligations to hold his family members together (the Mother being in total control of them assumingly their entire lives, as well as them relying on each other for everything, has something to do with that). Sexuality is also a key issue here. One of my theories is that Simone's lack of sexiness further adds to his character's tragedy. While certainly a decent-looking guy (though he gets progressively more broody and unappealing throughout the film, mostly due to a magnificently hateful performance), he doesn't touch the natural magnetism of Delon, whom Nadia very much falls for in the later half of the film. With Simone's failure to keep up with Rocco in almost every decent respect, it just makes it all the more painful to see the beautiful Nadia (who honestly had her eye on Rocco from the first time she saw him during her introduction) with Simone, especially after the rape scene (which was harrowing and almost tear-inducing). She is a lost soul, and for a moment, with Rocco's help, she found her place in the world as a beautiful, respectable woman (even attending college) with a wonderful, caring companion. Rocco does betray her for no good reason (family honor), and she goes back to her old ways briefly, before
SpoilerShow
meeting a bitter, sad end.
I agree that it is a frusterating story, but all great tragedies are frusterating in some repect.

And of course, I disagree with comments made elsewhere on this board that Delon and Salvatore should've switched roles. That wouldn't have worked for me (both actors are just too impeccable for their roles for me to imagine them switching). With that said,
SpoilerShow
it completely blows me away when Simone murders Nadia at the end, with Nino Rota's brilliant crescendo underscoring, and the cuts to Rocco's boxing
...that is such a painful way to end this story...in terms of narrative brilliance it is beautiful, but it is ultimately depressing and heart-wrenching.

Hardly a let down, "Rocco and His Brothers" is one of Visconti's finest hours, and one of the greatest films ever made.

Dylan

Derek Estes

#5 Post by Derek Estes » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:57 am

Dylan,
I feel you are so dead-on I have nothing further to add, but to agree with you. Rocco and His Brothers is an amazingly moving film, and I have watched it now several times. As for the often argument that this film is a let down on a neo realist stand point, as The Leopard and Senso are often considered a betrayal of Visconti's Neo realist work, I find La Terra Trema, to be an exception to Visconti's work, not the rule to judge his remaining filmography on. Much like I consider Le Mepris a wonderful exception to Godard's work -though each director would still express himself in these atypical films, they would not resemble their usual style. Rocco, though superficially neo realistic is very stylized and operatic, as is most of Visconti's work. I have yet to find fault with this masterpiece.

Michael

#6 Post by Michael » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:49 am

I finally watched Rocco last night for the first time in nearly 15 years. Quite a stirring experience. It ultimately brought me back to those many nights as a child watching old Italian melodramas on TV with my grandparents. I was raised by a large Italian family in New York.

Gorgeously photographed. I love that first shot of Vincenzo with the white flower in his hair sitting with his girlfriend. Every moment with Rocco and Nadia is my favorite - so painfully tender and emotional. Before watching Rocco, I failed to comprehend why some of you go nuts over Alain Delon (which I found too cool for my taste) but his work as Rocco is shockingly warm and sensitive. For the first time (after watching him in other films - Melville, Antonioni, etc), I wouldn't mind taking him home! But this film truly belongs to Renato Salvatori. What an upsetting, tragic figure. My heart aches for his abyssmal pain over the loss of his love. An incredibly beautiful hunk I must add!

All in all, Rocco is a grand, lush Italian melodrama of nearly religious intensity. Simply beautiful and passionate.

Dylan

#7 Post by Dylan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:33 pm

Michael, I was always pretty sure that if you watched it again (since it had been 15 years) that you'd love it quite a lot, and I'm pleased to read that you did indeed. After my last viewing, it now has a glowing position in my top 20, and I would also agree that it is Delon's best performance (the part where he's crying with Simone on the bed is utterly magnificent).

Dylan

Michael

#8 Post by Michael » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:20 pm

Does anyone find how strikingly similiar Rocco is to Coppola's The Godfather? Both are expansive, operatic and richly atmospheric family drama complete with betrayals and murders. Simone's killing of Nadia interweaving with Rocco's triumph in the boxing ring reminds me a lot of the famous "baptism" sequence in The Godfather.

Something's been bugging me since watching Rocco last month.

Rocco sacrifices everything for his family. Is he right for not confronting Simone's tragic mess? That leaves me wondering if Roccos action is the real reason for the familys falling apart, not Simones. I plan to watch Rocco again soon anyway but I remember feeling a bit discomfort watching Rocco sacrificing everything like that.

My partner was bothered by the film being focused mainly on Rocco and Simone, instead being balanced with all five brothers. Not me. I reminded him to pay attention to the films title - simply Rocco. Rocco is presented like a rainbow and his brothers are his prisms.

And one more thing: Didn't Visconti claim Rocco to be his favorite work? Or am I imagining too much?

peerpee
not perpee

#9 Post by peerpee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:23 am

#48 - 3 discs (2 x DVDs, 1 x Nino Rota ROCCO soundtrack CD)

rwaits

#10 Post by rwaits » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:42 am

I'm so glad MoC is beginning to dig into these mid-century Italian films--films that aren't necessarily obscure. Rocco is a release I never imagined from MoC, but am thrilled about. What else can we look forward to?

Stefan Andersson

#11 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 am

Wonderful news! This must be a port of the Medusa DVD.

Item of interest: the French DVD (René Chateau) has a French language track, which surely means you can hear Alain Delon, Annie Girardot and maybe a few others speaking in their own voices. Claudia Cardinale was probably dubbed both in French and Italian, she had/has a thick accent and this is often pointed out.

I guess this French track is unavailable for the MoC release, but it would sure be a nice addition. The French DVD lacks English subs.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#12 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:04 am

Wonderful news! This must be a port of the Medusa DVD.
I very much doubt it...or at least I hope not. The Medusa DVD is not up to MoC standards. The picture is far too soft to be acceptable and there are some scenes which display real murkiness (not just the night scenes either). The Medusa is supposed to be restored and yet it seems to me that they really should be doing much better. After all, La Terra Trema is several years older and that DVD is of jaw dropping quality.

The MoC will no doubt be a substantial improvement!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:21 pm

the film in its fully uncut original 3-hour Italian release version
So how different is this from the version on the Image disc? I remember that one coming in at just under three hours.

jsteffe

#14 Post by jsteffe » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:04 am

domino harvey wrote:
the film in its fully uncut original 3-hour Italian release version
So how different is this from the version on the Image disc? I remember that one coming in at just under three hours.
Peerpee should be able to clarify that point. I checked DVDBeaver's comparison, and Medusa's Italian release was supposedly 1 min. 25 secs. longer than the Milestone/Image version, which was also sourced from PAL. I'm not sure how this new MoC edition will fit into all that, or if any footage was actually missing from the Image/Milestone edition relative to the Medusa "restored" edition.

Still, I'm glad I never purchased the Italian edition, since it's safe to assume that the forthcoming MoC version will look superior. To say nothing of all those marvelous extras!

Stefan Andersson

#15 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:47 am

So, anybody interested in the French audio track for ROCCO I brought up in my earlier post? Surely it´s legitimate and interesting to hear the French actors perform with their own voices.

Dylan

#16 Post by Dylan » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Wow! I realize I'm late to this party, but this release totally slipped under my radar. What great news!

I love this film, one of the masterpieces of Italian cinema, but I've only seen the muddy (and cropped) Fox Lorber transfer. I look forward to seeing a new transfer with Giuseppe Rotunno's great cinematography restored (those glowing and glistening close-ups of Delon, in particular). And the extras sound excellent, as well.
Stefan Andersson wrote:So, anybody interested in the French audio track for ROCCO I brought up in my earlier post? Surely it's legitimate and interesting to hear the French actors perform with their own voices.
I know davidhare has watched this film with the French audio, so he may have a bit to add here. I'm certainly interested in it, but for me it's the same case as with The Conformist, meaning, a lot of the cast is French so it's good to have the French audio, but because the characers in the story are Italian (not to mention the filmmaking in both cases being as unmistakably Italian as it gets) the Italian dub is my preference. With that said, I really do want to see Rocco's breakdown with Simone toward the end (an astonishing bit of acting) with Delon's dub.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Two little snippets of info:

1) The DVD definitely has the French track as well as the Italian one - there's a section in the booklet explaining that:
The Italian soundtrack is regarded as the default soundtrack for the film, but key actors such as Annie Girardot and Alain Delon were dubbed in Italian by other actors, despite mouthing French. For this reason, this DVD edition also contains the French dubbed audio track where Annie Girardot and Alain Delon can be heard speaking French.
2) Less happily, the third disc with the Nino Rota score has been dropped - no reason given, but I suspect it's rights-related. (Didn't much the same thing happen with Caligula a few months ago?)

colinr0380

#18 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:16 pm

MichaelB wrote:2) Less happily, the third disc with the Nino Rota score has been dropped - no reason given, but I suspect it's rights-related. (Didn't much the same thing happen with Caligula a few months ago?)
That's a shame. I was also wondering whether any recent DVDs have been released with isolated music tracks? That seemed a popular feature that has almost disappeared now - could they have fallen by the way for a similar reasons?

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 pm

colinr0380 wrote:That's a shame. I was also wondering whether any recent DVDs have been released with isolated music tracks? That seemed a popular feature that has almost disappeared now - could they have fallen by the way for a similar reasons?
Presumably major studios would own the rights to a film score outright, so they'd have no problem doing isolated tracks - but it's a lot tougher for an independent, as they'd almost certainly have to licence the music separately, quite apart from the technical challenge of tracking down the master tapes and syncing them up.

My dream edition of Valerie and her Week of Wonders would have both an isolated music track and The Valerie Project's alternative score, but it's extraordinarily unlikely to happen - given that both are out on CD in Britain, Second Run would have to pay the labels enough to make it worth their while, which will almost certainly be way outside their budget.

Stefan Andersson

#20 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Michaelb: thanks a lot for the info on the French soundtrack on ROCCO. Big kudos to MoC for licensing double soundtracks, maybe this way they´ll raise the bar for consumer awareness of the various qualities of different dubs. After all, many Italian westerns are released with 2-3 dubs! Why not treat the classics the same way?

MichaelB

#21 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 am

I've just watched the first half of Rocco, and I doubt there'll be any complaints. Even allowing for the fact that I was watching a single-layer checkdisc, it looked terrific: sourced from a print in excellent condition, anamorphic and framed at the unusual (but apparently correct) 1.80:1 aspect ratio.

There's a section in the booklet that explains this:
Like many Italian films from the late '50s/early '60s period, Rocco e i suoi fratelli was originally framed for projection at an aspect ratio of approximately 1.80:1 - wider than the 1.66:1 aspect ratio common to European films of the period, but slightly less wide than the 1.85:1 ratio used by the majority of Hollywood productions of the time.

peerpee
not perpee

#22 Post by peerpee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:32 am

Not sure how you've got a single-layer checkdisc, I'll look into that.

The finished ROCCO discs are:

disc 1 - 7.43GB DVD9
disc 2 - 7.03GB DVD9

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27 am

peerpee wrote:Not sure how you've got a single-layer checkdisc, I'll look into that.
Don't worry - it was dual layer after all: my mistake.

Aside from the hour-long Visconti documentary, which is this evening's treat, I've now ploughed through virtually everything, and Nick and co. have really excelled themselves.

There's nearly six hours of video material here - nine if you count the French version of the main feature (and I do urge people to watch the 'Rocco' chapter at the midpoint of the film in French at the very least - that's the one with most of the really torrid scenes between Alain Delon and Annie Girardot acting in their own language).

Of the eight extras, the only one that's even slightly gratuitous is a hilarious bit of star-stalking from 1961, with the camera lying in wait at Fiumicino airport to pounce on one of the surprisingly large number of celebrities who happen to be in the vicinity (there's a brief shot of Alain Delon receiving an award for Rocco, but it's pretty tenuous). Otherwise, it's really solid, meaty stuff: an original newsreel about the film, the original trailer (anamorphic), a superb French documentary about the turbulent shoot that packs a vast amount into 20 minutes, three substantial interviews (23-30 mins apiece) and the above-mentioned Visconti doc.

The booklet's only 40 pages (with most other labels that "only" wouldn't be necessary), but is also crammed with goodies, including a short paragraph pointing out that modern digital technology could easily "correct" the rather amusingly obvious attempts at changing the central family's onscreen name from Pafundi to Parondi following legal threats, but they wisely decided not to do so.

Oh, and the print is completely uncut, reinstating the footage that was censored following post-premiere criticism (cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno preserved it).

It's a magnificent package, and that phrase will definitely be in my upcoming review.

(UPDATE: Nothing wrong with the Visconti documentary either - the source materials are a tad ropey at times (though the highly variable quality of the sound recording suggests that the original RAI 1999 production was at fault), but the content is terrific. I was particularly glad that it covered his theatre and opera work as well, and it even managed to work in clips from most of the films - The Leopard being the highest-profile omission.)
Last edited by MichaelB on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#24 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Oh, and the print is completely uncut, reinstating the footage that was censored following post-premiere criticism (cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno preserved it).
Great stuff MichaelB! I hope that somewhere in that booklet the above is expanded upon. I wonder what they found so controversial... though when Renato Salvatori sells himself springs immediately to mind.[/list]

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:33 pm

The French documentary goes into considerable detail, including examples. (Another concession to the censors was to darken one of the most controversial scenes - that's been corrected too)