52-53 / BD 36 Ugetsu monogatari & Oyū-sama

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
kinjitsu

52-53 / BD 36 Ugetsu monogatari & Oyū-sama

#1 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Image Image

Ugetsu monogatari

Mizoguchi’s Ugetsu monogatari [Tales of the Rain and Moon ] is a highly acclaimed masterwork of Japanese cinema. Based on a pair of 18th century ghost stories by Ueda Akinari, the film’s release continued Mizoguchi’s introduction to the West, where it was nominated for an Oscar and won the the Venice Film Festival’s Silver Lion award (for Best Direction).

In 16th century Japan, amidst the pandemonium of civil war, potter Genjurô (Mori Masayuki) and samurai-aspirant Tobei (Ozawa Sakae) set out with their wives in search of wealth and military glory respectively. Two parallel tales ensue when the men are lured from their wives: Genjurô by the ghostly charm of Lady Wakasa (Kyô Machiko); Tôbei by the dream of military renown.

Famed for its meticulously orchestrated long takes and subtle blending of realistic period reconstruction with lyrical supernaturalism, Ugetsu monogatari is an intensely poetic tragedy that consistently features on polls of the best films ever made.

Oyū-sama

Another literary adaptation – this time of a story by one of Japan’s modern literary masters, novelist Tanizaki Jun’ichiro – Mizoguchi’s Oyū-sama [Miss Oyū] is a poignant and contemplative tale of two sisters and their ill-fated relationship with the same man. At the core is Mizoguchi-regular Tanaka Kinuyo (who also stars in Ugetsu Monogatari) as the eponymous Oyu, the older sister who allows marital customs to dictate the lives of those caught up in this complex love triangle.

Continuing the director’s fascination with the relationship between affairs of the heart and the social mores that shape and sometimes destroy them, Mizoguchi transforms his subject matter into the realm of the transcendental through the use of long, mobile shots – an approach that reaches its apotheosis in a take of almost six minutes — infused with humanity and emotion.

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Mizoguchi’s films for the first time on home video in the UK.

Special Features

• Newly exclusively restored high-definition transfer of Ugetsu monogatari in 1080p
• Mizoguchi’s Oyū-sama (also in 1080p on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles on both features
• Tony Rayns video discussions of Ugetsu monogatari [9:00] and Oyū-sama [13:00]
• Original Japanese and Spanish theatrical trailers for Ugetsu monogatari
Ugetsu monogatari restoration demonstration
• Illustrated booklet featuring rare archival imagery and award-winning translations of the 18th century Ueda Akinari stories adapted in Ugetsu monogatari
Last edited by kinjitsu on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What A Disgrace

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:15 pm

As my Sansho is happily on the way, I was wondering in all friendliness...

Besides Oyu-sama and the likely Tony Rayns interview, how do you plan to convince us happy Criterion owners to buy Ugetsu again?

daniel p

#3 Post by daniel p » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:53 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:As my Sansho is happily on the way, I was wondering in all friendliness...

Besides Oyu-sama and the likely Tony Rayns interview, how do you plan to convince us happy Criterion owners to buy Ugetsu again?
So I assume you don't have the Criterion Sansho?
I have both, and I think a lot of people will be hoping the MoC Ugetsu doesn't have the same errors the Criterion has, I would think Sansho is just as hard to double up on.

Cold Bishop

#4 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:09 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:As my Sansho is happily on the way, I was wondering in all friendliness...

Do you really need another reason than Oyu-sama?

HerrSchreck

#5 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Glorious releases, but... these covers! maybe just a bit too psychedelic-candy colored (thinking RWF LOLA here) for these astute austere B&W masterworks? (I know they're probably vintage, but..)

kinjitsu

#6 Post by kinjitsu » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:20 pm

According to Nick, those posters are going to be on the inside of the case and will not be used for the actual covers.

jt

#7 Post by jt » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:00 am

I think the main issue for many people will be if MoC have used the same neg as CC did, so will the mysterious cut in the initial panning shot be present? Nick?

Unless the image on the MoC's is considerably better than the CC's, I just can't see me parting with either Sansho or Ugetsu. Even if I'm never going to watch them again, there is still the extras and the packaging on them both is so beautiful...

What A Disgrace

#8 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:52 pm

The fact that I own, have watched twice, and watched the extras of Ugetsu in full is one reason why purchasing Ugetsu again; especially considering the higher retail price of these boxes, seems pretty painful. And my wallet isn't doing good lately, either. The inclusion of Oyu-sama is probably what will get me to buy this set.

In Sansho's case, I rented the Criterion instead, thinking that I could always see the film again and storm the Criterion's extras, and later own it on the heavy MoC box (back when the eight films were being split across two boxes, and not four). After all, I can't rent the MoC's extras...nor could I own the other films.

Sanjuro

#9 Post by Sanjuro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:50 am

Oyu-sama is an excellent film by itself. I'd happily pay for a MOC release of just this. Just think of Ugetsu as one of those extras which you never bother watching again - like the Shindo documentary on the Criterion, I'm sure those few folk who purchased the $40+ Japanese release of this weren't too annoyed with it being included (sans commentary).

Petty Bourgeoisie

#10 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:29 am

Is there a release date for Ugetsu/Oyu-Sama? If not, any reliable guestimates? Been needing to pick up the CC but I'll gladly wait for the MOC if it's in the next couple of months. I like MOC's packaging standards better (I know CC's Ugetsu is a cardboard slipcase, but what's up with the wrinkly vinyl on the outside of the standard CC cases?). Also PAL looks better on my system and I'd get the added bonus of Oyu-Sama.

Plus, I think I might have ADD so the 4% speedup appeals to me. :D

Tommaso

#11 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:27 am

Posted by FSimeoni in the original Mizoguchi/MoC thread:
Release dates updated on the Eureka Website.

Yokihi April 2008
Akasen Chitai April 2008
Oyu-sama March 2008
Ugetsu Monogatari March 2008
Uwasa no onna February 2008
Chikamatsu Monogatari February 2008
Only four months to go, then.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#12 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks, I think I'll wait for the MOC then. Four months isn't too bad. Heck I've been putting off buying the Kino Die Nibelungen for over a year waiting for the MOC. Four months will seem like nothing.

Matango

#13 Post by Matango » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 am

Has the MoC Ugetsu opening also got the strange crossfade in the opening sequence and that was a topic of converstion on the CC disc?

Gigi M.

#14 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Matango wrote:Has the MoC Ugetsu opening also got the strange crossfade in the opening sequence and that was a topic of converstion on the CC disc?
Good question. How about it Nick?

peerpee
not perpee

#15 Post by peerpee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 pm

The HD master that was released on DVD in Japan, is the same master that was supplied to licencees worldwide, so yes, the MoC edition will feature the same shots as the Criterion and the Japanese release.

peerpee
not perpee

#16 Post by peerpee » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Original colour posters on the inside sleeve, as per the previous two twinpacks:

Sanjuro

#17 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Hmm. I guess you're sticking with the whole 'One major piece of art plus an extra movie' packaging which I guess makes sense from a business point of view.

It just seems a pity somehow. I love both Oyu-sama and Gion Bayashi and think they're both terrific parts of Mizoguchi's late output and as with most films I like, I'd like to introduce my friends to them. And sure, the film should stand alone in it's own merits, but so much of MOC and Criterions packages are about contextualization - why this movie is an important part of history which demands your attention. I can give Nosferatu to a skeptical friend, point out the huge book and they'll understand that it's not just some vampire film but something which a lot of people consider more important which they should try watching.

With the packaging and book focussed on one movie (and a commentary which seems to reduce Gion Bayashi to a 'piece to pay the bills and show off an upcoming teen idol') it becomes more difficult to convince people to look at them as 'great' films.

Sure, I know they're not as 'good' or as famous as Sansho or Ugetsu and they probably wouldn't sell well by themselves, and this is quite a clever way of sneaking two great movies that people might otherwise dismiss into many households. But still...well maybe I'm just too hung up on packaging and like the romantic notion that Mizoguchi spent his last few years at Daiei crafting a series of masterpieces for people to remember him by.

jt

#18 Post by jt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 am

Or it might just be that one beautiful screenshot makes a better, less-cluttered cover than two frames squeezed onto one cover..?
Only people that have already seen Sansho and Ugetsu will recognise which film the frame on the cover comes from, and those people are likely to be just as interested in both films. In fact, I'll be watching Oyu-Sama and Gion Bayashi before the more famous films they're packaged with as I've got both the CC Mizo's.

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:14 am

Sanjuro wrote:With the packaging and book focussed on one movie (and a commentary which seems to reduce Gion Bayashi to a 'piece to pay the bills and show off an upcoming teen idol') it becomes more difficult to convince people to look at them as 'great' films.
Actually, what Nick is doing is directly analogous to what I used to do back in the heyday of the London arthouse repertory cinema - which was to book double and triple bills, relying on a headline-grabber to pull in the punters and pay the rent while hoping that people would stay for the others and discover something they might not have willingly paid to see on its own.

Economically, it made lots of sense - we occasionally got complaints that the rarest films would be shown in the late afternoon, making them relatively inaccessible on working days, but brute economics dictated that it was either that or not show them at all.

And sometimes we'd get real surprises - I remember a huge turnout for an ultra-rare outing for a 5pm screening Ozu's Record of a Tenement Gentleman, which had obviously been spotted by London's Japanese community, as I think the audience was 90% Japanese.

sidehacker

#20 Post by sidehacker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:57 pm

People will always look for something to complain. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I don't think MoC's marketing will have an impact on what truly matters. You can make the cover a brown paper bag and I'll still be interested.

Sanjuro

#21 Post by Sanjuro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm

As I said in my post, I'm well aware that it's the most sensible solution to get the relatively unknown Mizoguchi films into peoples homes.

Of course, after getting Gion Bayashi home you're presented with an interview which explains why it's not such a great movie and a book almost completely dedicated to Sansho Dayu. As a fan of the movie you can surely see how this might be just a little disappointing?

I can understand this of course, Sansho Dayu is one of the greatest movies ever made, Gion Bayashi can't really compete but it would be nice to think Oyu-sama will get a better overall deal in this set. Presenting relatively unknown films and giving them deluxe treatment is something MOC do so well.

Cover is really nice by the way, quite right to use one amazing image than split up the box. Although it kind of reminds me of how beautiful the opening shots of Oyu-sama are. Ha ha, right I'll stop complaining there, forget my post, go buy the movies (and if you own the Criterion Ugetsu, pretend it's a freebie and you're buying Oyu-sama).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#22 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:00 am

Sanjuro wrote:I can understand this of course, Sansho Dayu is one of the greatest movies ever made, Gion Bayashi can't really compete but it would be nice to think Oyu-sama will get a better overall deal in this set. .
Of course, there are some (and I know I am not unique) who much prefer Gion bayashi (which I consider near perfect) to Sansho (which I consider great, but deeply flawed).

Since Gion bayashi looks so nice in this set, I am very grateful to MOC. But I think something must have gone awry with the supporting materials for this part of the set. While the Sansho materials are excellent, those for Gion bayashi were surprisingly slim. And the dismissive comments by Tony Rayns (or was it some impostor?) were frankly ridiculous.

As to Oyu-sama, it is a lovely looking film -- but dramatically pretty infirm (albeit considerably better than Lady from Musashino).

Tommaso

#23 Post by Tommaso » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:43 am

Now listed at play.com for pre-order. Release date is April 21. I guess the price will be lower by then :wink:

Fan-of-Kurosawa

#24 Post by Fan-of-Kurosawa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:56 pm

According to the details given in play.com the only extras will be the Tony Rains interviews (again). That's a pity. They could have included something more, especially in the Ugetsu disc. Of course I am not talking about the Kaneto Shindo doc that is included in the Criterion release because that requires a whole disc for itself.

Tommaso

#25 Post by Tommaso » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Yes, the Shindo doc is certainly an advantage of the CC (which I don't have), but the chance to see "Oyu-Sama" is even better. If the booklet is to the same high standard as the one for "Sansho/Gion", no complaints from me.