58-59 / BD 72 Yōkihi & Akasen chitai

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
NLK

Booklet problem

#51 Post by NLK » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 am

My booklet has jumbled up pages and I'm wondering if it is a one-off problem, in which case I will just send my copy back to Amazon for a replacement.

BradStevens

#52 Post by BradStevens » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:45 am

No problems with the booklet in my copy.

stephan73

#53 Post by stephan73 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:13 am

I have the same problem with the booklet.. The first 5 pages are normal, then it skips to page 22. After page 28 it goes back to page 13. From there is goes normal to page 44 and skips again to page 29. Last few pages (from 36) go forth again to page 53 and end with 56.

A real mess!

fiddlesticks

#54 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Received mine this morning (USA), and my booklet is fine.

reno dakota

#55 Post by reno dakota » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm

This particular booklet is saddle-stitched, so fixing it should require only removing the staples from the spine, reordering the pages, and replacing the staples. This might be a better option than requesting a replacement set. Just a thought....

peerpee
not perpee

#56 Post by peerpee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:43 pm

Anyone with a faulty booklet, please IM me and I will endeavour to get it replaced. This appears to be an isolated incident and hasn't affected any that I've inspected.

stephan73

#57 Post by stephan73 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:34 pm

reno dakota wrote:This particular booklet is saddle-stitched, so fixing it should require only removing the staples from the spine, reordering the pages, and replacing the staples. This might be a better option than requesting a replacement set. Just a thought....
Would work if all the pages are in the booklet.. I miss, for example, almost everything from Akasen Chitai en I have everything from Yôkihi double!

GringoTex

#58 Post by GringoTex » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Watched Akasen chitai last night for the first time. The memory of it is sticking with me better than the viewing experience itself, and I'll probably watch it again, but man it's hard for me to praise Mizoguchi's contemporary films in comparison with Naruse.

I can't complain about the all-around excellent performances, though.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#59 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:09 pm

GringoTex wrote:Watched Akasen chitai last night for the first time. The memory of it is sticking with me better than the viewing experience itself, and I'll probably watch it again, but man it's hard for me to praise Mizoguchi's contemporary films in comparison with Naruse.
I became familiar with these Mizoguchi films before i first encountered most of the comparable Naruse ones. I loved them at first -- but do have to concede now that they are pretty dramatically unsubtle compared to Naruse's films of the same period.

The best parts of Akasen chitai are still wonderful, however -- as are most parts of Gion bayashi (and virtually ALL of the unheralded Woman of Rumor).
I can't complain about the all-around excellent performances, though.
I was not too enthused by the woman with the rotten grown-up son. I would agree as to the rest of the performances. The (normally) stately and gorgeous Michiyo Kogure was particularly impressive as the bespectacled "working mother".

GringoTex

#60 Post by GringoTex » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:The best parts of Akasen chitai are still wonderful, however -- as are most parts of Gion bayashi (and virtually ALL of the unheralded Woman of Rumor).
Gion bayashi remains my favorite contemporary Mizoguchi for its extreme empathy. Akasen is all so matter of fact- like a political tract. Of course, I haven't seen Woman of Rumor.

Which me brings me back to the mystery of what makes Naruse so great. Of all my favorite directors, his style is the most elusive to pinpoint. The best explanation I know of is his own: “If they move even a little, they quickly hit the wall."

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#61 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 pm

GringoTex wrote:Which me brings me back to the mystery of what makes Naruse so great. Of all my favorite directors, his style is the most elusive to pinpoint. The best explanation I know of is his own: “If they move even a little, they quickly hit the wall."
However, there are a few films where Naruse's characters _don't_ run into a wall (or there is hope that they won't) -- and they are pretty wonderful too.

Akasen chitai is a bit schematic at points -- but there are long stretches that go beyond matter-of-fact-ness.

Woman of Rumor has an especially interesting (much more jittery than the norm in Mizoguchi) performance by Tanaka. A must-see film for KT fans.

manicsounds

Re: 58-59 Yokihi & Akasen chitai

#62 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:57 am

October 21st, BD upgrade in the limited "Late Mizoguchi" boxset

PfR73

Re: 58-59 / BD 72 Yokihi & Akasen chitai

#63 Post by PfR73 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 pm

I am watching Yokihi on the MOC Blu-Ray and during the scenes where the general begins the rebellion, there are a whole bunch of subtitles describing what is happening in the story, but there is no dialogue and no on screen text. Sansho The Bailiff has similar sequences, but the MOC Late Mizoguchi book & Criterion book both address this for Sansho (producer's wishes/missing elements). The MOC Book doesn't say anything similar for Yokihi. Is it a similar situation?

Orlac

Re: 58-59 / BD 72 Yokihi & Akasen chitai

#64 Post by Orlac » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:24 am

Indeed, it is.