38, 136-139 / BD 100-104 Shoah and 4 Films After Shoah

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Lino

38, 136-139 / BD 100-104 Shoah and 4 Films After Shoah

#1 Post by Lino » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:59 am

Shoah and 4 Films After Shoah

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present – for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK – Claude Lanzmann's landmark documentary about the Holocaust, Shoah, alongside the four films he made through 2013 on the subject.

Shoah

Lanzmann spent twelve years spanning the globe for surviving camp inmates, SS commandants, and eyewitnesses of the "Final Solution". Without dramatic re-enactment or archival footage – but with extraordinary testimonies – Shoah renders the step-by-step machinery of extermination, and through haunted landscapes and human voices, makes the past come brilliantly alive.

Shoah [1985], at 550 minutes, is a work of genius alone, an heroic endeavour to humanise the inhuman, to tell the untellable, and to explore in unprecedented detail the horrors of the past. It is one of the most powerful and important, and greatest, films of all time.

4 Films After Shoah

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present – for the first time on DVD in the UK – Claude Lanzmann's four films that he made as follow-ups to his landmark Shoah, each of which explore in further depth specific aspects and events of the Nazis' extermination programme.

A Visitor from the Living [1997] is based on an interview conducted by Lanzmann with Maurice Rossel during the filming of Shoah. A member of the Berlin delegate for the International Committee of the Red Cross from 1942, Rossel was the only member of the organisation to have visited Auschwitz in 1943, and to have also paid a trip to the "model ghetto" of Theresienstadt in June 1944.

Sobibór, October 14, 1943, 4PM [2001] recounts the prisoner uprising that took place in the Sobibór death camp in Poland. Only 50 prisoners ultimately evaded capture, while the rest were sent to their murders in the gas chamber.

The Karski Report [2010] is Lanzmann's brief film on Jan Karski, the Polish resistance figure who also featured in the final section of Shoah, and which recounts Karski's powerful testimonial given to Franklin D. Roosevelt and Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter on what he witnessed during a trip to the Warsaw Ghetto and to the extermination camp Belzec.

The Last of the Unjust [2013], at 218 minutes in length, moves between 1975 and 2012, detailing Lanzmann's mid-'70s Rome interviews with Benjamin Murmelstein, the last President of the Jewish Council in the Theresienstadt ghetto, and the filmmaker's own return to the location 37 years later — providing an unprecedented insight into the genesis of the "Final Solution".

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Optional English subtitles on all films
• 4 Blu-rays of the five films, which total 1006 minutes in length
• 300-PAGE BOOK containing writing on all of the films

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:38 pm

Pinakotheca

#3 Post by Pinakotheca » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:59 pm

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:44 pm

[Hems and haws] :wink:

Anonymous

#5 Post by Anonymous » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:23 pm

One of the finest covers I have ever seen. Perfectly suits the aesthetics of the film.

Cinesimilitude

#6 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:56 pm

I'd like it if it were older looking, or if the text was way smaller, and replaced some of the images. I'm getting this regardless, but yeah, those are my thoughts.

Subbuteo

#7 Post by Subbuteo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:07 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:I'd like it if it were older looking, or if the text was way smaller, and replaced some of the images. I'm getting this regardless, but yeah, those are my thoughts.
Christ, some people. What do you mean older looking, pre film or post holocaust? Glad to hear you're getting it regardless of the cover.

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Subbuteo wrote:What do you mean older looking, pre film or post holocaust?
Yeah, I don't get that. The film itself is just over 20 years old and even then, it's one of the most modern feeling documentaries in existence, mainly because it eschews archival footage.

Cinesimilitude

#9 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:02 pm

it was just my initial reaction, I've never seen the documentary, and If it has the feel of a 80's '60 minutes' special stretched to 9 hours then it captures that perfectly. I just like stylized dvd covers, so they could make all those faces in sepia or black and white with colored ones spelling out the title like a fake mosaic, with "a film by claude lanzmann" written in white underneath the images. When I said "older" I was thinking they could use something from auschwitz, but I know well enough the film has no actual holocaust footage, so that would probably be a bad idea. the TV special look put me off at first, But I assume the film isn't dependent on it's visuals, and that might be exactly what they are going for.

godardslave

#10 Post by godardslave » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:32 pm

yes, its a deep philosophical and psychological discussion on the holocaust and the nature of human evil, but if i don't like the dvd cover i'm not buying it, dammit!

#-o :|

Cinesimilitude

#11 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:51 pm

I can't determine if your joking or serious, It's not insulting anyone (unless you missed the part of my post where I said I was buying it regardless of the art) yet it's still completely ludicrous.

Anyways, here's a rough Idea of what I first thought of for altering the cover art.

Ofcourse on a real cover like this, the 570 frames would all be unique. That shouldn't be a problem since they have roughly 800,000 to choose from.

Ishmael

#12 Post by Ishmael » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:20 pm

The trouble with MOC's cover is that it doesn't evoke anything at all—except maybe a wall of television screens. However, since Shoah isn't Network, that image doesn't seem appropriate. I loved the cover on the old video box: a modern-day photo of the gate at Auschwitz with overgrown grass poking between the slats of the disused train tracks. Now, that was evocative—whether you'd seen the film or not. That image said that this film was a quiet and sober document about memories of the Holocaust—plus, if you knew what the picture was, it suggested how the film would calmly revisit in the present day the innocent-looking places where unimaginable horrors once occurred. The MOC cover can be defended on an intellectual basis—Shoah is all talking heads—but I can't imagine that it would sell anyone on watching this movie.

TheWatcher

#13 Post by TheWatcher » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:34 pm

Maybe swapping one or two pictures of people with location pictures (as there is one on the cover already)? The problem is that because of a lack of archival footage in the film, including any historic picture would also be misleading.

zedz

#14 Post by zedz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:01 pm

SncDthMnky wrote: I just like stylized dvd covers, so they could make all those faces in sepia or black and white with colored ones spelling out the title like a fake mosaic, with "a film by claude lanzmann" written in white underneath the images. When I said "older" I was thinking they could use something from auschwitz, but I know well enough the film has no actual holocaust footage, so that would probably be a bad idea.
I agree with Matt, and think this approach would be totally inappropriate to the approach of the film. One of the overwhelming messages of the film is that the Holocaust is not a purely historical phenomenon: its preconditions are still very much a part of contemporary society, and Lanzmann goes out of his way to scratch off that particular scab.

That said, the Elvis-wall cover doesn't accurately reflect my experience of the film either (the re-do above even less so). That look evokes for me an overdose of rapidly juxtaposed talking heads, but Lanzmann made his film in this monumental format partly to get away from the pre-digested sound-bite treatment that that look evokes. And many of the most memorable images from the film were, for me, of places rather than people - or of people in historically-charged places rather than decontextualised.

But hell, it's only a cover. I can't wait to see this again.

davebert

#15 Post by davebert » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:24 am

Anyone know how the New Yorker edition of Shoah stacks up, what kind of things we should be looking to correct, etc.?

peerpee
not perpee

#16 Post by peerpee » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:07 am

Just to try and put some kind of seal on the cover art comments: our proposed artwork has not been approved by Lanzmann, he would like us to use the shot of the engine driver which has become emblematic of the film around the world. We are very happy to use this.

We're currently trying to find the highest quality image possible.

What A Disgrace

#17 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:54 am

Is this still set for a January 07 release?

I notice that we have another 180 page book on the way. I'm not sure which is going to take longer; the film or the supplement book. Can you give us any information on it?

peerpee
not perpee

#18 Post by peerpee » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:58 pm

We're busting a gut to get this out by Holocaust Memorial Day (UK) on January 27.

The release date we're aiming for is January 22, 2007.

The book will contain new and old articles about SHOAH carefully handpicked by MoC and Lanzmann. More details as soon as we've cleared things.

Hashi

#19 Post by Hashi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:37 am

Didn't the French box set also include a book? I wonder what's in it.

davebert: There's something about the framing and PAL->NTSC issues mentioned in the Beaver review of New Yorker set.

peerpee
not perpee

#20 Post by peerpee » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:05 am

No book or booklet with the French set.

Hashi

#21 Post by Hashi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:28 am

Oh, then what's this? I had to do some searching because I remember seeing one. "Includes 4 DVD & book". I saw this some three years ago at Champs' Fnac in Paris but didn't take a closer lookn at that time.

peerpee
not perpee

#22 Post by peerpee » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:49 am

There's been two editions of the French box set. One circa 2001, and one in late 2005. The one from late 2005 (which is a digipak and has exactly the same cover you posted there) has no room within the hardbox for a book or booklet. I can only assume something was shrinkwrapped to the package, maybe only at certain stores?

Hashi

#23 Post by Hashi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:35 am

I'm speaking only by vague recollections. But as I recall the box set I saw - apparently of the first 2001 edition - was a "brick" of a box for size with width perhaps 5-6 keep cases wide. The hardbox had to house the book as it definetely had room for more than 4 discs.

jamie_summers

#24 Post by jamie_summers » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:53 pm

i dont think the cover is appropriate to the aesthetics or theme of the film. one single shot in black and white of a talking head might work better if the right shot was found.

Subbuteo

#25 Post by Subbuteo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:00 pm

jamie_summers wrote:i dont think the cover is appropriate to the aesthetics or theme of the film.
And what exactly are the aesthetics of the film?