64 / BD 70 Nosferatu

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
peerpee
not perpee

#26 Post by peerpee » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:34 pm

The MoC edition of NOSFERATU will feature Hans Erdmann's original music for the first time since the film's initial release in the 1920s. The original score (in paper form) has been located (no original recordings were ever made, it was only performed live in the 1920s). A lush, orchestral recording of this original score has been performed by Radio Symphony Orchestra Saarbrücken conducted by Berndt Heller.

peerpee
not perpee

#27 Post by peerpee » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:35 pm

More pics:

rwaits

#28 Post by rwaits » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:27 pm

I cannot get over how clean those images look. News of the original score is also very exciting!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#29 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:33 am

peerpee

Looks like yet another must-have release. Utterly gorgeous.

Steven H

#30 Post by Steven H » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 am

A little reminder from DVDBeaver on what MoC is up against, here and here. I've been waiting for a good version of this, with a bearable soundtrack, and hopefully some excellent contextual material.

Gigi M.

#31 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 am

Steven H wrote:A little reminder from DVDBeaver on what MoC is up against, here and here. I've been waiting for a good version of this, with a bearable soundtrack, and hopefully some excellent contextual material.
Hmm, those Kino screengrabs don't look bad at all.

tryavna

#32 Post by tryavna » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 am

Lookin' good, Peerpee. And the news about the original score is definitely exciting.

BTW, any chance that you could post a screencap of the shot where Nos. stands upright in his coffin onboard ship. I'm not concerned that MoC will crop off the top of his head or anything. But I am curious to compare it to existing screenshots of other releases. It's probably the most famous shot in the film and thus the one that will serve as best point of comparison to other prints/releases.

Any news about extras would also be welcome.

peerpee
not perpee

#33 Post by peerpee » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am

We don't have any screengrabs from the finished MoC encode yet, because it hasn't been done. Hope to have it done later this month.

Awesome Welles

#34 Post by Awesome Welles » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:50 am

Yet another must have I can't wait til this is released. Good work on the original score!

Lino

#35 Post by Lino » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:38 pm

In the future, MoC will be remembered for how good they treated Murnau's films on DVD. And that's not a bad thing in itself. At all! Bless you, guys.

Tommaso

#36 Post by Tommaso » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:18 am

Steven H wrote:A little reminder from DVDBeaver on what MoC is up against, here and here. I've been waiting for a good version of this, with a bearable soundtrack, and hopefully some excellent contextual material.
In fact, the French FsF version isn't bad at all, though of course the MoC looks superior. But the real interest of the MoC is of course the original soundtrack and hopefully some good extras (audio commentary, peerpee?). I might keep the FsF nevertheless, as that Mishakoff soundtrack (played exclusively on violins) sounds definitely creepy and is a strong though rather unusual alternative.

Steven H

#37 Post by Steven H » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:21 am

Tommaso wrote:
In fact, the French FsF version isn't bad at all, though of course the MoC looks superior. But the real interest of the MoC is of course the original soundtrack and hopefully some good extras (audio commentary, peerpee?). I might keep the FsF nevertheless, as that Mishakoff soundtrack (played exclusively on violins) sounds definitely creepy and is a strong though rather unusual alternative.
You should probably wait to compare the Beaver screencaps with the finished product out soon, peerpee mentioned. It seems like there's a good version out there, but it would be a mix of the best qualities available in other releases. So far nobody has gotten it "just right".

Tommaso

#38 Post by Tommaso » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:51 am

Steven H wrote:You should probably wait to compare the Beaver screencaps with the finished product out soon, peerpee mentioned. It seems like there's a good version out there, but it would be a mix of the best qualities available in other releases. So far nobody has gotten it "just right".
Sure, I completely agree! But only judging from Nick's preview caps, I expect the MoC disc to look breathtaking, so I guess it will blow away all the other versions, probably including the forthcoming Transit release (and I don't like Transit's steelbook design either). But if you're a fan of the film, the FsF is still worth having, not as a real alternative, but as some variation if you just want to hear a different soundtrack.

Gofter

#39 Post by Gofter » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:15 am

Will Nosferatu a 1:1 adaption from the coming German DVD like the Metropolis DVD?

Awesome Welles

#40 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:42 am

Coming in November according to the Eureka website. I can hardly wait.

Tommaso

#41 Post by Tommaso » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:02 am

And "Tabu" as well, according to the same source. Utterly brilliant!

TheGodfather

#42 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:58 pm

It`s gonna be great (and expensive) month. Can`t wait!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:19 pm

TheGodfather wrote:It`s gonna be great (and expensive) month. Can`t wait!
early Christmas gifts to yourself!

Tommaso

#44 Post by Tommaso » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:55 am

And now there's also "Drunken Angel" and "Sawdust and Tinsel" from Criterion in the pipes for November. As said already a few times, this must be the best year ever since dvds were invented. My poor, poor credit card....

TheGodfather

#45 Post by TheGodfather » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:It`s gonna be great (and expensive) month. Can`t wait!
early Christmas gifts to yourself!
Oh yeah. I`m really running out of space for my dvd`s...

stephan73

#46 Post by stephan73 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:56 am

Pre-order now available on Play!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:04 am

too late for Halloween, but right in time for a spooky Thanksgiving

Awesome Welles

#48 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:47 am

The pre-order at HMV.co.uk is much cheaper.

Gigi M.

#49 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm

And Kino's latest answer. Nice try, though

HerrSchreck

#50 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Gigi M. wrote:
Steven H wrote:A little reminder from DVDBeaver on what MoC is up against, here and here.
Hmm, those Kino screengrabs don't look bad at all.
Yeah, anyone who has the Kino or the better of the European releases that are decent representations of the last resto know that on the visual side, there will be no huge revelations on the upcoming wave of NOS discs aside from a nice HD transfer on the existing restoration neg. Although beautiful, those grabs look quite a bit like the Kino. Since I have the Flicker Alley PHANTOM (sublime), and the new FWMS NOSFERATU will not contain much in the way of visual surprise, what I'm really slavering over in the visual, cinematic-revelation zone is T A B U baby!!!!!!!!!!!!