34 / BD 6 La Planète sauvage

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
MichaelB

Re: 34 Fantastic Planet

#76 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 am

NilbogSavant wrote:I'm glad they kept the dub on the Blu. I find it much more than just a curiosity.
Seconded - I suspect my kids won't go for it anyway, but they definitely wouldn't have stood more than a couple of minutes in French!

(To be fair to my daughter, she's not old enough to read subtitles fluently yet, so it's not just mindless philistinism on her part. In fact, when she's reached that stage, I'm going to show her the Kirikou sequel, as she loves the original, but number two is only available in French).

Awesome Welles

#77 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:38 am

MichaelB wrote:
NilbogSavant wrote:I'm glad they kept the dub on the Blu. I find it much more than just a curiosity.
Seconded - I suspect my kids won't go for it anyway, but they definitely wouldn't have stood more than a couple of minutes in French!

(To be fair to my daughter, she's not old enough to read subtitles fluently yet, so it's not just mindless philistinism on her part. In fact, when she's reached that stage, I'm going to show her the Kirikou sequel, as she loves the original, but number two is only available in French).
Have to agree on the dub - it is practical in some cases.

The lack of a (d/s)ubbed Kirkou is annoying, I bought my copy in Italy and showed it to my nephew who loves the first film, he watched it anyway but he hasn't asked to see it again (he must have watched the first ten times) so that's a bad sign I guess.

effigy105

#78 Post by effigy105 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:06 pm

I thought I could resist upgrading this title but the more I think about it the more I'd love to see those strange visuals bumped up to 1080p. A new documentary entices me all the more. It's ever so slightly disappointing that Comment Wang-Fo Fut Sauvé isn't being upped to HD since it's actually my favourite of the few Laloux productions I have seen. Admittedly, that's hardly a cause for concern.

Out of curiousity, is the difference in page numbers simply due to the reformatting required to get it in a Blu-Ray case or are there some new materials present?

Awesome Welles

#79 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 pm

peerpee wrote:and what if we wanted to release THE GENERAL on BD? We're faced with their region free BD being imported.
Apologies for dragging this up again but can I just add my voice to the chorus for this to happen. I haven't bought the Kino, I won't be buying it and will be waiting for someone else to release Keaton's films on BD and I hope it's you. I am sure that the UK market will thoroughly appreciate such releases given that Network have released an awful boxset which no doubt many who bought it (myself included) will be happy to upgrade at some point.

peerpee
not perpee

#80 Post by peerpee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:09 pm

effigy105 wrote:Out of curiousity, is the difference in page numbers simply due to the reformatting required to get it in a Blu-Ray case or are there some new materials present?
New materials!

re: THE GENERAL. We've been trying to pull it together for a year, but can't get the right mix of materials that we want to make the best edition there is, due to the Carl Davis score already being licenced to a company in the UK (who aren't a DVD label) and who believe they own the rights to the film as well.

Having said that, no doubt Mr Bongo will now just rip the Kino edition and release it as their first Blu-ray with an 18 certificate.

jerome

#81 Post by jerome » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:19 am

Do you have more information about the new documentary about rené Laloux ? Who is interviewed ?

Thanks
Last edited by jerome on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#82 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:27 am

Despite previous inaccurate info stating the docu was 55 minutes, I'm afraid it's actually 26 minutes. The good news is that the interviewee is Laloux himself -- it was made a year or two before he died.

Toxicologist

#83 Post by Toxicologist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm

peerpee wrote:Despite previous inaccurate info stating the docu was 55 minutes, I'm afraid it's actually 26 minutes. The good news is that the interviewee is Laloux himself -- it was made a year or two before he died.
Oh well, due to the running time thought that it was in some way different from the existing one on the French Arte BD (only with English subs)

jerome

#84 Post by jerome » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

peerpee wrote:Despite previous inaccurate info stating the docu was 55 minutes, I'm afraid it's actually 26 minutes. The good news is that the interviewee is Laloux himself -- it was made a year or two before he died.
thanks

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#85 Post by Tribe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm

peerpee wrote:[
re: THE GENERAL. We've been trying to pull it together for a year, but can't get the right mix of materials that we want to make the best edition there is, due to the Carl Davis score already being licenced to a company in the UK (who aren't a DVD label) and who believe they own the rights to the film as well.

Having said that, no doubt Mr Bongo will now just rip the Kino edition and release it as their first Blu-ray with an 18 certificate.
Nick, when confronted with a scenario like this...an entity who believes it is entitled to something which it clearly is not...is there any thought of abandoning the project rather than engage in costly litigation?

peerpee
not perpee

#86 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Litigation rarely happens. It's more an issue of not wanting to waste money if there are going to be multiple versions out there -- as happened with the same film on DVD.

What A Disgrace

#87 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Complete specs now on the site:
• All-new restored high-definition transfer
• Optional English subtitles with original French soundtrack
• Optional USA dub track
• Laloux sauvage, a new 55-minute documentary on the director
• Five short films by Laloux: Les Dents du singe (1960); Les Temps morts (1964); Les Escargots (1965, in a new 1080p transfer), Comment Wang-Fo Fut Sauvé (1987); La Prisonnière (1988)
• The complete soundtrack for La Planète sauvage (1973)
• 56-page full-colour booklet, featuring an essay by Craig Keller; an interview with Laloux; and a lavish selection of ephemera and original promotional materials from the film
Thank you for those shorts.

jamie_atp

#88 Post by jamie_atp » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:42 pm

May be worth specifying that the complete soundtrack is a dvd audio feature, not an additional CD disk. Seems obvious to most but I saw a few complainers on Amazon or IMDB thinking they were going to have a CD with the original DVD release.

Svevan

#89 Post by Svevan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:33 am

How very exciting to have every Laloux short film available on one disc; along with the Gandahar and Maitres du Temps DVDs, one can be a Laloux completist.

peerpee
not perpee

#90 Post by peerpee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Svevan wrote:How very exciting to have every Laloux short film available on one disc; along with the Gandahar and Maitres du Temps DVDs, one can be a Laloux completist.
We were only able to upgrade LES ESCARGOTS to something resembling 'definitive' (1080p) I'm afraid. The other shorts are included as 'viewing copies only' really. Don't want to get any hopes up.

Svevan

#91 Post by Svevan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Fair enough. Considering their total absence from current home video releases, this is more than welcome. Also, La Prisonnière looked quite fine on the Gandahar DVD.

CrazedCollector

#92 Post by CrazedCollector » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but here it goes: any reason for keeping La Planète Sauvage in-between M and Profound Desires of the Gods (Blus 9 and 10) on the MoC Blu-ray page? Will it ever move into its proper spine slot?

peerpee
not perpee

#93 Post by peerpee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 pm

No idea why it's there. We've got a *crapload* of bugs at the website that we're cataloguing and aiming to fix at some stage, but we need to crown all these problems at once with a database programmer and it's very complicated. Right now our resources are completely stretched and we're concentrating on our actual discs - which means 5th gear for the next 3 months until METROPOLIS is out.

CrazedCollector

#94 Post by CrazedCollector » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 am

I am liking the work ethic, there. And yes, much appreciating the results (can't wait to get this one especially!)

med

#95 Post by med » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 pm

The BD is a beaut, though one minor quibble: was there no way to get the soundtrack album to play straight through w/o having to manually press play on each individual track? I acknowledge that it's possible and I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

Norbie

#96 Post by Norbie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am

med wrote:The BD is a beaut, though one minor quibble: was there no way to get the soundtrack album to play straight through w/o having to manually press play on each individual track? I acknowledge that it's possible and I'm missing something glaringly obvious.
I found this annoying as well! Is there something that we missed? I would have understood if the tracks went for 10min or longer, but when the track is only 1:23 it's very ](*,)

I have searched the whole BD for the answer of special button and have found no remody.

Hello MoC!!!! Is there a solution?

ps. Love the BD \:D/

it's just the soundtrack #-o

Bleddyn Williams

#97 Post by Bleddyn Williams » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Perhaps its a way to not tread on the toes of whoever holds the rights to release a soundtrack CD?

med

#98 Post by med » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:48 pm

I believe the soundtrack is OOP in both the US and the UK. Copies I've found on sites from either side of the Atlantic have been prohibitively expensive, which is why I've since pirated it.

J Wilson

#99 Post by J Wilson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 pm

If you aren't opposed to digital only versions, Amazon US has the soundtrack in mp3 format for $5 right now.

ehimle

#100 Post by ehimle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:37 pm

if you're looking for the soundtrack.
check about halfway down page 2 for my post.
(not sure if any of the links are still valid)