26 The Savage Innocents

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Eureka/Masters of Cinema and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here.
Forum rules
Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.
Message
Author
User avatar
Matango
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:19 am
Location: Hong Kong

#51 Post by Matango » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:26 am

Nick, can you tell us if this is back in print again please? I'm sure we'd all raise a glass if it is (except those who bought up multiple speculative copies, I suppose). Thanks

User avatar
peerpee
not perpee
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:41 pm

#52 Post by peerpee » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:43 am

It remains out-of-print.

User avatar
blindside8zao
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC

#53 Post by blindside8zao » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:31 pm

and I'm pretty sure spanish harlem incident is about golden earrings.

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

#54 Post by Luke M » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 pm

I had to shut this movie off because of the scenes involving animals being hunted. I always put my beliefs and politics aside when viewing any sort of art including movies or art galleries. But I couldn't take this anymore. I don't agree with animals with being killed for art. I doubt the scenes were faked in this movie, however, I could be wrong. It took me out of the film and found myself quite shocked that no review ever mentioned it.

It wasn't quite as bad as the giraffe being shot in Sans Soleil, while graphic, I at least felt that the animal's death had a purpose other than for the film.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

#55 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Luke M wrote: I don't agree with animals with being killed for art. I doubt the scenes were faked in this movie, however, I could be wrong.
If the animals were genuinely "killed for art", then the BBFC would legally not have been allowed to pass the scenes for British video release - their hands being tied by the 1937 Animals Act, which explicitly prevents such things from being distributed.

There are only two get-out clauses: if the killings were simulated (and the distributor can prove this), or if the deaths would have happened regardless of the presence of the cameras. The BBFC is most assiduous about making sure that one or the other applies - I'm guessing (2) is most likely in this case.

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

#56 Post by Luke M » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Luke M wrote: I don't agree with animals with being killed for art. I doubt the scenes were faked in this movie, however, I could be wrong.
If the animals were genuinely "killed for art", then the BBFC would legally not have been allowed to pass the scenes for British video release (their hands being tied by the 1937 Animals Act).

There are only two get-out clauses: if the killings were simulated, or if the deaths would have happened regardless of the presence of the cameras. The BBFC is most assiduous about making sure that one or the other applies.
Thanks for that info. I may give the disc another spin.

BradStevens
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:39 pm
Location: UK

#57 Post by BradStevens » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 am

Luke M wrote: I don't agree with animals with being killed for art. I doubt the scenes were faked in this movie, however, I could be wrong.
If the animals were genuinely "killed for art", then the BBFC would legally not have been allowed to pass the scenes for British video release - their hands being tied by the 1937 Animals Act, which explicitly prevents such things from being distributed.[/quote]
Actually, the BBFC don't have a problem with animals being killed for a film; you can see chickens being killed in LACOMBE LUCIEN, rabbits being killed in LA REGLE DU JEU, a chicken and a pig being killed in WEEKEND, chickens having their heads blown off in PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID, etc. They generally only cut scenes that involve 'unnecessary cruelty', which usually means cockfights and horsefalls.

User avatar
Napier
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:48 am
Location: The Shire

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#58 Post by Napier » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:20 pm

I absolutely love this film. It's just so darn cool. Any luck renegotiating the rights? I absolutely treasure the copy I have, it was my first MoC disc. And I feel lucky to have gotten one.

User avatar
HerrSchreck
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 am

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#59 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Might have been my first MoC too-- either this or Asphalt, can't remember.

And it sure is a keeper, very much worth treasuring and fetishizing. Especially when I copped a gander at the alternative(s) in R2 land.

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#60 Post by L.A. » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:31 am

If I recall this was my first MoC as well.

cana7cl
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#61 Post by cana7cl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:01 pm

L.A. wrote:If I recall this was my first MoC as well.
This was my second MoC, after Faust.

User avatar
jt
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 am
Location: zurich

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#62 Post by jt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:34 am

I bought three copies of this when it went out of print, hoping for a Salo-style price bump...

If anyone wants an unopened copy, I still have two wrapped/ unopened which I'd happily trade for stuff I don't have.

User avatar
jamie_atp
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#63 Post by jamie_atp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Think someone should tell Play to change their listing...
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3275638/ ... oduct.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
jsteffe
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:00 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#64 Post by jsteffe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one of the Paramount titles that Olive Films is slated to release on DVD in the U.S.? But the MoC edition still retains its inherent value, I'd say.

User avatar
AlexHansen
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#65 Post by AlexHansen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I stuck this out to the end hoping that there'd be something to latch on to. Something that would make me sit up and say "That's the ticket!", but without luck. It seemed like aimless meandering. The camera searching across the expanse of ice for a reason to be like Inuk looking for food or the Mounties looking for Inuk. The Naked Prey provoked a similar response, so perhaps the "exotic" just doesn't do it for me.

Would Napier, Schreck (if you happen to be lurking about), or anyone else be kind enough to go into some detail about what they like about the film?

User avatar
ozukarodzi
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#66 Post by ozukarodzi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 am

AlexHansen wrote:The camera searching across the expanse of ice for a reason to be like Inuk looking for food or the Mounties looking for Inuk. The Naked Prey provoked a similar response, so perhaps the "exotic" just doesn't do it for me.

You are wrong to compare The Savage Innocents to The Naked Prey. Nick Ray is not an "exotic" director and there is nothing exotic about The Savage Innocents.

User avatar
manicsounds
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: 26 The Savage Innocents

#67 Post by manicsounds » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 am

Ascot Elite will release a remastered DVD of "Savage Innocents" in Germany in April 2015

The listing says German / Italian for audio and nothing for subtitles, but not confirmed yet.

Post Reply