17 / BD 11 Vengeance Is Mine

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Gordon

#26 Post by Gordon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:42 pm

I found this a very complex film in many ways. The structure will probably become clearer on the second viewing. I was expecting a faster paced film, with more over-the-top violence, but the style of the killings is intentionally and realistically clumsy, which makes it seem more disturbing. Ken Ogata's performance is incredible and very disturbing. Not a film that one can easily 'like', but it is very impressive, especially in its lack of easy, pat answers. I look forward to hearing Rayn's commentary, as the film has many ambigous passages and themes - the detrimantal effect of Christianity on Japanese society and morality, being one of them, surely?

Which other Imamura films are worth seeing?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#27 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 am

Finally got -- and watched the new DVD. Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations to MOC. Finally a release worthy of this incredible (but upsetting) film.

shirobamba

#28 Post by shirobamba » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:12 pm

And with a Tony Rayns in absolute top form on the commentary track. 140 mins non-stop valuable information. He must have been very well prepared for this marathon talk.

And I could listen much, much longer to all of Alex Cox' introductions.

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:23 am

zedz

#30 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:48 pm

Great film, great disc. I'm halfway through the commentary and it's superb. I think MoC need to lock Rayns in the recording studio and force-feed him Japanese New Wave classics.

peerpee
not perpee

#31 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:34 pm

Thanks for that, David.

colinr0380

#32 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:24 am

Another review of the disc.

wiljan

#33 Post by wiljan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 am

Is this disc going OOP? I just recieved an order cancellation from TheHut stating that they couldn't get the disc from their supplier.

peerpee
not perpee

#34 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Not going OOP, sounds like either TheHut or their supplier aren't too hot at getting things.

Bensonsworld, Amazon, Play, Moviemail, and many others all stock the title no problem.

Yojimbo

#35 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:29 pm

shirobamba wrote:And with a Tony Rayns in absolute top form on the commentary track. 140 mins non-stop valuable information. He must have been very well prepared for this marathon talk.

And I could listen much, much longer to all of Alex Cox' introductions.
I've always liked Alex Cox' introductions from the days of BBC's Moviderome series. And generally, whatever about the quality of his own films, I've found that generally he has great taste in movies.

And the presence of a Tony Rayns commentary track is almost, 'ipso facto', an essential purchase. I wonder what preparation he puts into them because, quite apart from the information and opinions he imparts, they're wonderfully paced.

Murasaki53

#36 Post by Murasaki53 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:03 am

Just thought I'd let people know that Ken Ogata has died (from longstanding liver cancer from what I can gather).

I'll leave this message here and on the Mishima thread in the Criterion section of the Forum.

Of course we all know what a terrific actor he was but my wife (who is Japanese) tells me that his versatility was one of his great strengths. Apparently, he was rather adept at nailing regional accents convincingly.

kidc85

#37 Post by kidc85 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on the multiple freeze-frame ending? I didn't particularly see what Imamura was going for...

Awesome Welles

#38 Post by Awesome Welles » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:03 pm

If you watch Alex Cox's introduction he offers some interesting thoughts.

foggy eyes

#39 Post by foggy eyes » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 am

kidc85 wrote:Anybody have any thoughts on the multiple freeze-frame ending? I didn't particularly see what Imamura was going for...
Have a look here as well.

bigP

Re: 17 Vengeance is Mine

#40 Post by bigP » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 am

Finch

#41 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Hm. Didn't Nick say a while back that the only Japanese titles they'd consider for Blu would be Kwaidan and Onibaba? Vengeance must have sold decently on DVD if it indeed gets a 1080p upgrade.

med

#43 Post by med » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:04 pm

While I would love to see a Blu for this, why do we assume this is coming from MOC? Isn't it kind of suspect that this has appeared with only a couple of weeks' advanced notice? And there's no publishing info on that page?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#44 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:19 pm

I've got confirmation from a source who will remain nameless that this will be a Region B Masters of Cinema release.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#45 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 pm

VIM is Shochiku-linked -- and I believe peerpee indicated that they were more flexible than Toho when it came to Western Blu-Ray releases.

feckless boy

#46 Post by feckless boy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:39 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I've got confirmation from a source who will remain nameless that this will be a Region B Masters of Cinema release.
Great news! Wonder what aspect ratio they've settled for and if the "greenish haze" from the previous release will be ported over. Very much doubt we'll have it by the end of this month.

doc mccoy

#47 Post by doc mccoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 am

This news does not chime with what Nick has recently written on twitter - 6 BD only releases across July/August/September and 8 Blu-ray releases in all up to October (including Metropolis and Profound Desires of the Gods). We already know VIM is Dvd release.

Besides, re-releasing this on Blu-ray within a short period of re-releasing Fantastic Planet would seem to undermine Nick's claim that they will not be re-releasing many back catalogue titles.

At the very least, we can be pretty certain the release date for 21st June is erroneous - Eureka surely would have included for pre-order with le Grand Jeu and Profound Desires; also remember that we have not seen any artwork for this release.

Update: But to back up the news that it will be on Blu-ray, none of the major retailers are stocking VIM on dvd anymore; it's possible then that it could be one of the Blu only releases.
Last edited by doc mccoy on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#48 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 am

doc mccoy wrote:Besides, re-releasing this on Blu-ray within a short period of re-releasing Fantastic Planet would seem to undermine Nick's claim that they will not be re-releasing many back catalogue titles.
two =/= many

doc mccoy

#49 Post by doc mccoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 am

two =/= many
No, but bear in mind that it's not just those two releases - Une femme mariee was one; Metropolis can be considered another to a certain extent. And Nick has already stated that they will, if they can, re-release Onibaba and Kwaidan on blu. So even though "many" might not be the best word, it's more than originally thought.

And don't forget the context TM - MoC have not released any new blus for three months; it has been a desert. If we come to find out that 1/4 -1/3 of the new blus scheduled for release in the next three months are reissues, it'll be a pity because I would like to see newer releases to make up for the period we have been without MoC blu.

Nevertheless, at this stage it's pure conjecture; let's hope we'll get announcements soon.

TMDaines

17 / BD 11 Vengeance is Mine

#50 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:04 am

Sure but you make it sound like they're suddenly springing 30% of the catalogue on Blu on us. Even after all the titles you've listed, not even 10% of their originally only-DVD releases will now have Blu-rays:

Sunrise, Une femme mariee, Metropolis, Vengeance is Mine, Fantastic Planet, are all five of them, aren't they?

In addition Sunrise and Metropolis were/will be only upgraded to Blu in the process of a new and improved reissue. So currently we have only a single title they've gone through the back catalogue and simply released as a Blu at a later stage - Une femme mariee.

I'm still not sure what the grumbling is about.